Mrs Marmite and the Great Vegan Shrinkage

memmarmite

Evening all! I'm climbing back aboard the SW wagon. All green, all vegan and all delicious!

Today...
Breakfast: Porridge w/ 28g oats + berries (HEA+B)
Lunch: Leftover curry (homemade fresh yesterday so I know what went in it!) (10.5 Syns)
Dinner: Ratatouille + pasta (1.5 Syns)
Snacks: Apple + 10g almond butter (3 Syns), banana, glass of soya milk (HEA), 57g reduced fat houmous (HEB) + carrot sticks.

HEA: 700ml Soya Milk
HEB: 28g oats, 57g houmous.
Syns: 15

TUESDAY:
Lunch: Leftover Ratatouille (1.5 Syns) and pasta

Dinner: Peanut Stew (7.5 Syns) + Wholemeal Pitta (HEB)
Snacks: Apple + 10g almond butter (3 syns), banana, glass of soya milk (HEA), soya yoghurt (2 Syns)

HEB: 28g oats, 1 wholemeal pitta
Syns: 14

Didn't check in yesterday. It was a bit crap for me diet-wise, I stayed on the plan and within syns but The Beard was away on business which always makes me feel a bit sad, so I stuffed myself with starchy carbs and totally neglected the fruit and veg side of the deal.

Today is better...

THURSDAY:
Lunch: 98% Fat Free Supernoodles (serious case of CBA as Hairy was still in Notts)

Dinner: Veg Chilli, Rice, Garlic Broccoli (this was going to be 6ish syns but we went shopping this evening, I got Frylight and Asda Meat Free Mince so it's now freeee!)
Snacks: 57g reduced fat hummus (HEB) + carrot sticks, banana, watermelon, glass of soya milk (HEA), 1 soya yoghurt (2 Syns)

HEB: 57g reduced fat hummus, 28g oats
Syns: 2

Since I'm so low on syns I'm considering making up some tofu choccie pudding, hmm... even have some lush-looking strawberries to dip in it!

Hello :wavey: just having a peek at your diary as I do green days. I'm veggie rather than vegan though.

The main thing jumping out at me is that you're allowed 35g of porridge oats as a hexb now. Also, it's 55g of reduced fat hummous. I guess between the 2 of them you're probably about there though! Are you doing SW yourself rather than going to class? There were quite a few changes to hexb's recently to watch out for.

What's in a peanut stew?! I love peanuts :)

Hello :wavey: just having a peek at your diary as I do green days. I'm veggie rather than vegan though.

The main thing jumping out at me is that you're allowed 35g of porridge oats as a hexb now. Also, it's 55g of reduced fat hummous. I guess between the 2 of them you're probably about there though! Are you doing SW yourself rather than going to class? There were quite a few changes to hexb's recently to watch out for.

What's in a peanut stew?! I love peanuts :)

Oh goodness, I had no idea there had been changes... I joined a group last year but wasn't able to keep attending as I work some pretty erratic shifts. I'm having a crack at doing it solo this time around - aside from this forum, of course!

The peanut stew is a recipe I've adapted from here: African Influenced Sweet Potato Stew - Easy Slow Cooker African Influenced Sweet Potato Stew

I use reduced fat PB and use less of it, but otherwise it's more or less the same. It is delicious, rich and earthy, but to be honest I probably won't be making it often as I can think of better things on which I could spend my syns!

Thanks for checking in, lovely to meet you :D

Ooh, thanks for that recipe, will have a look.

I wouldn't worry too much about the hexb's - the 'old' way worked just fine for years. It does make quite a difference with porridge though. I've recently started having it most days and love it with lots of fruit mixed in. If you do a search in the hex forum you should find details of the major changes.

I don't go to class either but am an online member. This site is far more use than the online service though, I wouldn't know anything if it wasn't for all the info on here!

Evening chaps! It's been a good day today, I am properly getting into the swing of things now...

FRIDAY:
Breakfast: Porridge w/ 35g oats (HEA+B)
Lunch: Leftover chilli, noodles
Dinner: Bangers and winter veg mash (1 syn) + 1tbsp onion marmalade (2 syns), chocolate and vanilla tofu whip w/ strawberries (3.5 syns)
Snacks: Pomegranate, carrot sticks and hummus (HEB)

HEA: 700ml soya milk (though I've not had all of it today)

HEB: 35g oats, 55g reduced fat hummus
Syns: 6.5

Have saved a few syns over the past couple of days so I can happily tuck in to a Create A Goodlife's Spicy Lentil and Vegetable Wedge with my tea tomorrow. I have no idea what the syns are but I'm sure it can't be higher than my allowance...

Ooh dinner sounds lovely! Which sausages do you use?

Thanks! We had Linda's red onion and rosemary sausages, which are free (oddly, since the original ones are synned!). I love them so much! Sad that they're only a limited edition one. Ahh well, once they're gone I'll be reverting to my old favourite Fry's...

Ooh I've heard such good things about them and I can't find them anywhere! I have got hold of the Italian ones though which are only half a syn and rather nice. Must keep looking for the free ones and buy a truck load before they're discontinued ...

Ooh I've heard such good things about them and I can't find them anywhere! I have got hold of the Italian ones though which are only half a syn and rather nice. Must keep looking for the free ones and buy a truck load before they're discontinued ...

To the best of my knowledge they're only available in Asda and Sainsburys. They seem to get snapped up quickly though...

Every time I see the Italian ones in the shop I get excited before remembering they have cheese in them, haha :rolleyes:

Yesterday. I was back at work on a late shift, which tends to send my eating pattern a bit screwy. Kept on top of it though, especially with help from The Beard who was happy to make sure there was food ready for when I got home.

Discovery of the week: Goodlife Spicy Lentil & Vegetable Wedges. These are AMAZING. There's two in a box, they're vaguely similar to samosas but with masses of veggie/lentil/chickpea filling and a very thin breadcrumb-ish coating instead of pastry. At 3.5 syns each on Green I will be getting these more often! One is enough as a side dish, they'd also be great cold in my packed lunches!

SATURDAY:
Breakfast: Porridge w 35g oats (HEA+B)
Lunch: Sweet potato chilli veg pot (4.5 syns)
Dinner: Jacket potato, chickpea dal, lentil + veg wedge (3.5)
Snacks: Assorted fruits (melon, grapes, watermelon, pineapple, mango), noodles, sausages

HEA: 700ml soya milk
HEB: 35g oats
Syns: 8

I am struggling a tad with my HEs. 700ml unsweetened soya milk is a lot, I could so easily get by on half of that. I don't have soya cheese listed as a HEA otherwise I'd be all over it! I am dreaming about slivers of Cheezly with a nice sour apple. I realise I can have it as a B choice but really would rather spend that on some lovely stinky hummus or a few nuts...

Morning all! Checking in before my early shift today. I'll be hopping on the scales when I get to work, not expecting great things as it is shark week but we shall see.

Here's yesterday:
SUNDAY:
Lunch: Sweet potato chilli veg pot (4.5syns)
Dinner: Bangers, sweet potato mash (3.5 syns for oil and mustard), broccoli
Snacks: Frozen soya yoghurt (2 syns), fruit pot (melon, kiwi, pineapple), hummus + carrot sticks

HEB: 35g oats, 55g reduced fat hummus
Syns: 10

I do keep returning to that veg pot - I've another one for lunch today - but it's just so convenient for work!

Okay, I know I wasn't expecting great things but I've actually not lost any weight at all. Stayed exactly the same. Rather disappointing, but I'm not letting it put me off. Just keep swimming, just keep swimming...

Here's today:
MONDAY:
Lunch: Sweet potato chilli veg pot (4.5 syns)
Dinner: Couscous salad (2 syns), bangers, hummus
Snacks: Grapes, melon, noodles

HEB: 35g oats, 55g fat reduced hummus
Syns: 6.5
WEIGHT: 79kg

Blimey, that salad was sexy. I have it again for lunch tomorrow, hurrah!

Last edited:
Back