MrsCadbury's progress

MrsCadbury

When I first joined SW I thought I'd go to group for a few weeks then I'd be able to follow the plan from home. Glad to say I've kept going to group and have decided I will continue until I reach target.

One of the reasons why I keep going to group is Lifeline Online. I love it for the food diary and also checking syns on the go. My phone is in my hand the whole time I'm in the supermarket.

A few weeks ago I discovered the My Progress area. I had 4/5 weeks to enter. At group last week I got my first half stone sticker. Then when I entered my WI online I also got an award. Now every time I login there's my wee award. I love it!

I've been reading a few diaries and was thinking about starting my own, but then thought what would I write everyday? I don't want to just log my food as I already do that and it's easier on SW website than typing it out.

I thought there was nothing else to share but there's wee bits like the awards and more about what I'm feeling and learning on SW.

I had actually started this as a normal post but it seems more like a blog post or diary. So, here you go - my first diary post.

Last edited:
In the diaries and success stories I've read, I really enjoyed reading the back stories. Here's mine.

I'm 33, married for nearly 5 years and no kids. The time has never been right to have children and I want a bigger house first. When I was on holiday we had a few foot massages and the therapists always asked how log we'd been married and did we have children. When I said no, straight away they looked at my stomach. :-(

I have 3 sisters. 2 size 8's and 1 size 12. I'm a size 16/18. I say 16/18 as it makes me feel a bit better. In reality I'm a size 18. Although I did just buy a size 16 dress. :) Always something to smile about.

Up until I was 17 I was an 8/10 but I never, ever felt thin. I always thought I was bigger than my friends. When I was 18 and met my first boyfriend he was always taking me out for dinner. Pretty soon I was a size 12 then when we broke up at 19 I was a 14. Went to the gym and slimmed down to a 12.

Started working in an office at 20 and the weight started to pile on. Might have lost some along the way at the gym but life got hectic and I stopped going. Put it all back on an more.

6 weeks ago one of my sisters asked me to go to SW with her. Her work uniform was getting really tight and she didn't want to go up a size. I was about to join a gym so I thought getting the SW books would help with healthy eating.

We went to group and I really liked the sound of the SW plan. Loved the thought of not weighing free foods. Went back to group for a few weeks, all the while thinking I'm only going for a few weeks then I'll follow the plan myself at home.

What made me decide to stick to group? One night after work I was picking up a few things for the house with OH. We wouldn't get home until about 8.30. Passed a Burger King and OH said let's just get dinner here. I realised if I wasn't stepping on those scales at group I would have inhaled a large Whopper meal without thinking twice. I NEED that group. I have to go every week, otherwise I will slip.

Last edited:
Hi!

Love the blog feel of your writing & totally understand your feelings about staying to group. I get so much support from the other members that it makes the whole process much more enjoyable & easy to stick to :)

I look forward to hearing more as you progress, take care x

Hi!

Love the blog feel of your writing & totally understand your feelings about staying to group. I get so much support from the other members that it makes the whole process much more enjoyable & easy to stick to :)

I look forward to hearing more as you progress, take care x

Thanks Ktcymru.

Apart from the first week, I haven't actually stayed at group for IT. I didn't really like the group I joined. The past couple of weeks I've been going to a different group for WI. I really like the feel to this group and am going to stay this week. I'm actually really looking forward to it. I want that support that you and so many others get from group.

Also, thanks for liking my blog style diary. I've got a list of things on my mind that I want to "get out". If I can compose my thoughts enough and put them on here, it might make me understand/deal with things better. Then again, it might not and I will probably just ramble on. :p

I was planning on joining a lovely, big expensive gym before I started SW. Now that I'm sticking to group every week I can't really afford both. I believe my money is better spent on group fee and buying exercise DVDs. Really want to buy 30 day shred but that's a post for another day.

I've been this size for about 3 years now. So what made me want to go back to the gym? I'm going to be a bridesmaid at one of my size 8 sister's wedding in September. All 4 of us will be standing up there. 2 size 8s, size 12 and me. When she said she wanted us all for bridesmaids I went to a funny place. On the one hand I've never been a bridesmaid and so excited about finally being one. On the other hand, I was not at all excited about standing up there next to my sisters. Them looking gorgeous and thin and me the fat sister.

We bought the dresses before Christmas. I got a size 16. I got it zipped up but it was very tight. Said to myself, I'll join the gym and I'll lose weight. Wasn't confident.

Now that I've started the plan and lost 8lbs, I feel confident that I will stick to it. I feel confident that the dress will fit me. Dare I say it, I feel confident that I will have to pay a small fortune in alterations as the dress will be hanging off me!

For my whole adult life cooking was something you heat up. It's already been prepared like a steak pie, chicken pie, battered fish. Happy to say I've never been into microwave meals though.

I remember when I was 14 or so, my dad tried to teach me how to make fried rice (I'm Chinese). He had already done most of the prep. All I had to do was mix the egg, add to the rice and move it around. I obviously didn't move it around quickly enough as it all started to stick together. Like a big ball of rice. I was quickly told to get out of the kitchen. He never tried to teach me anything again. Which is a shame as my dad makes really lovely meals. He makes an amazing Chinese beef stew.

One of the things I found quite overwhelming when starting plan was all the recipes and having to choose a few for that week. I honestly didn't know where to start. First, what did I want to eat? Second, would I actually be able to cook it? Third, what did I need to buy?

I started off with very simple things like SW chips, egg and beans. What's wrong with that? No Superfree. Next I tried chicken or beef stir-fry with mix veg and boiled rice. I really enjoyed that as it was quick and easy but I got bored of that quite quickly.

Week by week I'm becoming more adventurous with my cooking. Trying new recipes an becoming more confident in the kitchen. Tonight I'm having spicy mince from the SW website. Didn't have any peas so I added red pepper and mushroom. It's simmering away and it smells delicious.

When I've cooked something from scratch, I always say I've cooked it from ingredients. Just about everything I've cooked on plan has started off as ingredients. The girl who could only heat things up uses ingredients, puts them together and make tasty meals.

I can't picture a time when I will not eat like this. Healthy cooking is for life, not just until I reach target!

Like everyone else I find it difficult sticking to plan at the weekends. Especially when I don't have much on. At the weekend there I had planned out everything I was going to have but because I was bored I wanted to eat everything and more!

I find it so much easier during the week when I'm at work. Good or bad, sometimes I'm so busy in work that I forget to eat. I say good because it means I'm not stuffing my face. Bad as I'm not actually eating and I'm starving by the time I get home. I end up wanting to eat everything in sight.

I need to think of some quick convenience type lunches and also yummy snacks. Bought some scran bran at group tonight. Will try making ferrero rocher at the weekend.

2lb off tonight making 10lb in total. 1lb next week will see me move into a new stone!

Last night Husband and I were watching tv. He was on the iPad reading whichever forum he reads. I was on my phone reading Minimins.

He asked what I was reading. I said just a forum. He said, what's it about? He said, I'll show you mine if you show me yours. lol

I said its a weight loss forum. Everyone's on a diet. He paused for about 15-20 seconds and said he doesn't think I'm on a diet. He thinks I'm learning about healthy eating and cooking meals from scratch. He then said, and I quote "SW is teaching you how to be a good wife" :p :p

He was obviously kidding and we had a wee laugh at that. It's so true though. Not the good wife part, but what SW teaches us about healthy eating.

I was reading a thread earlier about someone not enjoying the people they've been sat next to recently at group. It made me think about my group experience on Thursday.

I had someone next to me who kept talking to her friend about a recipe. I kept looking at her, trying to give her a hint to be quiet. It really annoyed me after group that I didn't say anything to her. If I was in work I would have said, can you keep it down a bit as I'm struggling to hear.

The more I think about it, I think I was intimidated by her. Not in any conventional way. If I was in my office or out for a drink I don't think I'd have been intimidated in any way. She was quite loud and the last person on the scales. She reached her club10, which is fantastic for her of course. My C started handing out awards and asked if anyone was missing any awards. This person said she never got her slimmer of the week sticker when she changed over to the new book.

I think that's why I was intimidated by her. She's a proven slimmer and I've only been on plan for 8 weeks. I felt so inexperienced next to her. Well I'll know what to do this week if it happens again.

With the exception of my first week I've never stayed for IT. I didn't really like the group I joined and have been weighing at a different group. Decided to stay this week as its such a friendly group. The group was very welcoming and the C made IT really interesting.

Looking forward to group again this week.

For my whole adult life cooking was something you heat up. It's already been prepared like a steak pie, chicken pie, battered fish. Happy to say I've never been into microwave meals though.

I remember when I was 14 or so, my dad tried to teach me how to make fried rice (I'm Chinese). He had already done most of the prep. All I had to do was mix the egg, add to the rice and move it around. I obviously didn't move it around quickly enough as it all started to stick together. Like a big ball of rice. I was quickly told to get out of the kitchen. He never tried to teach me anything again. Which is a shame as my dad makes really lovely meals. He makes an amazing Chinese beef stew.

One of the things I found quite overwhelming when starting plan was all the recipes and having to choose a few for that week. I honestly didn't know where to start. First, what did I want to eat? Second, would I actually be able to cook it? Third, what did I need to buy?

I started off with very simple things like SW chips, egg and beans. What's wrong with that? No Superfree. Next I tried chicken or beef stir-fry with mix veg and boiled rice. I really enjoyed that as it was quick and easy but I got bored of that quite quickly.

Week by week I'm becoming more adventurous with my cooking. Trying new recipes an becoming more confident in the kitchen. Tonight I'm having spicy mince from the SW website. Didn't have any peas so I added red pepper and mushroom. It's simmering away and it smells delicious.

When I've cooked something from scratch, I always say I've cooked it from ingredients. Just about everything I've cooked on plan has started off as ingredients. The girl who could only heat things up uses ingredients, puts them together and make tasty meals.

I can't picture a time when I will not eat like this. Healthy cooking is for life, not just until I reach target!

This is me, I'm only on SW one week and I'm actually using my kitchen, up until now all i ever did if I cooked? was pop a pizza in the oven to heat :O

Just here to subscribe :)

I know exactly what you mean about IT, I stay every other week and find it much more motivating when I do.

As you were saying, I really struggle at weekends to stay within syns - I don't go mad but I do go over by 10 or 15 each day - am still debating how much of a problem this actually is. I am losing weight and most importantly I feel more in control about what I am eating than ever before. If Slimming World is for life, surely it's better to find a way to 'live' whilst on it. If my weight loss stops I guess I will have to change that.

Just here to subscribe :)

I know exactly what you mean about IT, I stay every other week and find it much more motivating when I do.

As you were saying, I really struggle at weekends to stay within syns - I don't go mad but I do go over by 10 or 15 each day - am still debating how much of a problem this actually is. I am losing weight and most importantly I feel more in control about what I am eating than ever before. If Slimming World is for life, surely it's better to find a way to 'live' whilst on it. If my weight loss stops I guess I will have to change that.

I actually can't believe how much I'm looking forward to group this week. Not just to see my loss(hopefully) but also IT. I've even been thinking about what I'll take got slimmer of the week basket.

Just had a lovely big mug of Cherry and Jasmine tea. Really getting into fruit and herbal teas. Still on the lookout for Dandelion tea. Haven't seen it in any of the supermarkets near me.

Really enjoying the new group I've been going to. In fact, I shouldn't even be calling it "new group". It should just be "group"! I previously found IT quite boring but my C makes it really interesting and very motivating.

STS this week. I was a bit disappointed but then I remembered the reason... Prawn Crackers! Got a take away on Saturday night. Made a good choice of chicken foo young with boiled rice. Made my own syn free curry sauce to have with it. The biggest mistake I made was opening the bag of prawn crackers. I should have just put them straight in the bin. Captain Hindsight to the rescue!!!

Big family party on Saturday night with overnight stay in hotel. Alcohol, buffet and breakfast in the morning. I've worked out how much I will probably drink. Going to have an on plan meal before going to the party which will hopefully mean I have less buffet.

Being completely honest, I don't think I'll be able to resist a cooked breakfast in the morning. I'll have minimal syns the rest of the day and only have 5-10 for a few days after. All being well I won't have a gain next week.

Terrible(good) weekend.

Saturday
Buffet food at a party
Copious amounts of alcohol

Sunday
Hangover McDonalds!
Chicken Rogan Josh with Boiled Rice

Back on plan. If I get STS this week I will be over the moon.

Hi MrsCadbury, well done on your journey so far.

The most important thing in your last post was that last but one sentence - back on plan! You can't change the weekend, but you can change the rest of this week, so well done on drawing a line under it. Who knows, you might get a sneaky loss if you stick to it until WI, but you won't if you don't! I had a bad weekend too, but I'm determined to keep my syns on the lower side for the rest of the week and make up for it. Good luck!

Hi MrsCadbury, well done on your journey so far.

The most important thing in your last post was that last but one sentence - back on plan! You can't change the weekend, but you can change the rest of this week, so well done on drawing a line under it. Who knows, you might get a sneaky loss if you stick to it until WI, but you won't if you don't! I had a bad weekend too, but I'm determined to keep my syns on the lower side for the rest of the week and make up for it. Good luck!

Thanks Spanx!

I have definitely drawn a line. I was prepared for a high syn night on Sayurday night but wasn't prepared for the hangover food. I'll need to be more prepared for that next time.

Good luck for your WI this week. Fingers crossed for a sneaky loss :D

OMFG! I can't believe it. I lost 2.5 this week. I'm so happy.

After my terrible weekend I was hoping for STS. I was in shock I had to be told to step off the scales.

That takes me from 14s into 13s and only 1.5 away from 1 stone award!

OMFG! I can't believe it. I lost 2.5 this week. I'm so happy.

After my terrible weekend I was hoping for STS. I was in shock I had to be told to step off the scales.

That takes me from 14s into 13s and only 1.5 away from 1 stone award!

Good job that Lady!!

Back