Mum's with little one's that don't/didn't sleep through...

Lucylu79

Gold Member
Tell me it ends???

Alfie is coming up to 18 months old and he still doesn't sleep through, it was 4 times last night and its wrecked my plans for today.

I was meant to be getting up before him and going on the treadmill and getting ready as I normally do whilst he sleeps in till about 7.30. Today, not a chance!!! His 4th wake was at 5 just when hubby's getting up to go to bed and the only way we could get him to go back to sleep was to bring him in with me (very rare this happens)

A few weeks ago I tried the CIO routine and after 2 nights it worked and he slept through. Then we went on holiday and it all mucked up.

Thinking I will try the method again as hubby's on nights this week and cant leave him cry whereas I can. I know its for the best in the end.

Anyone else suffering at the mo, oh and I just wanna eat all the wrong things right now, must be strong!!!

Hi Lucy i feel your pain, i had two boys who have only just been sleeping through the night since January this year.... and they are 3 and 5! Its hell when you get a child or children like this.... I was on my knees... but they do get there, Just put them in bed with you if you can to get some sleep.....The CIO didnt work for me either... I have been up the last few nights as my LO has a ear infection so very sleep deprived, i know that tiredness is a big trigger in my eating habbits and i usually eat comfort food so i try to have lots of things like sw chips with cheese on or beans on toast with cheese to keep in control... try to get some rest if you can today.. It does get better i just takes a bit of time but do whatever you need to get more sleep :) *hugs mama*

Rest today - I wish!!!

I'm here by myself and have a mountain of irioning to do whilst LO goes for his lunchtime snooze...

thanks for your lovely reply though

A mothers work is never done I know ;)

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

I'm not sure what CIO is but I used the controlled crying method with my daughter years ago and it worked well. It's when the cycle is broken that trouble starts. Kids, no matter how young, are very clever and know how to get attention!!!

CIO it the Cry it out method/

When I did it a few weeks ago i'd go in when Alfie cried and try to get him back to sleep without a bottle or offer water, if he's get really cross i'd leave him knowing that he was safe and leave him till he fell asleep.

i thought it would take ages but after 10mind he'd fall asleep and after 3 nights was sleeping throug,

Think night one is either tonight or tomorrow!

Why is your LO waking? i mean does he want a feed? bum change?

i had this with my son for a while. hes almost 16months an sleeps through. x

Jess<3 said:
Why is your LO waking? i mean does he want a feed? bum change?

i had this with my son for a while. hes almost 16months an sleeps through. x

He wakes through habit I think, he's never slept through and always wakes for a bottle, 1 sometimes very rare, 4 like last night, the bottle sends him back to sleep and the cycle repeats itself.

He wakes through habit I think, he's never slept through and always wakes for a bottle, 1 sometimes very rare, 4 like last night, the bottle sends him back to sleep and the cycle repeats itself.

just how my son was, but was only for 1 bottle through the night... i started watering it down... day 1 usual amount of oz say 6.. day 2 id do 5oz milk 1oz water. day 3 4oz milk 2oz water an so on til it was water... i only got up to day 4 an he stopped waking. until teething again. giving bonjela n calpol help'd him settle down then.

i also did the cry it out. until certain point. or after 20+mins id lay him down, give dummy an blanket again but not picking him up or speaking to him x

Can't help with the sleep thing however, my consultant advises to do the Green plan when tired/ on nights/ had sleepless nights x

If your son goes to sleep having his bottle if he wakes in the night he will need a bottle to get back off to sleep so it will be a cycle. We all have little things that get us off to sleep and say if we lost our pillow in the night we'd quite likely wake and need to fond it to get back off to sleep.
If you could manage to get him used to going to sleep independently then when he wakes in the night he can do that too.

just how my son was, but was only for 1 bottle through the night... i started watering it down... day 1 usual amount of oz say 6.. day 2 id do 5oz milk 1oz water. day 3 4oz milk 2oz water an so on til it was water... i only got up to day 4 an he stopped waking. until teething again. giving bonjela n calpol help'd him settle down then.

i also did the cry it out. until certain point. or after 20+mins id lay him down, give dummy an blanket again but not picking him up or speaking to him x

I did that with my first daughter because she was constantly waking up for milk and i just watered it down and by the time it came to the water she just spat it out and fell straight back to sleep and she stopped waking up x

My son used to wake up in the night, I realised it had to stop when I wanted to have another baby & definately wasn't getting up in the night for two children. I used to go in his room, make sure he was ok & give him water to drink, he soon stopped waking up in the night. I never spoke to him, gave him cuddles or turned the light on (just landing light).

I agree with above posts if there is something to wake up for they will do, you just need to make sure there isn't anything to wake up for (easier said than done I know), hey I'm so glad those days are over for me:D

Happy Holidays said:
My son used to wake up in the night, I realised it had to stop when I wanted to have another baby & definately wasn't getting up in the night for two children. I used to go in his room, make sure he was ok & give him water to drink, he soon stopped waking up in the night. I never spoke to him, gave him cuddles or turned the light on (just landing light).

I agree with above posts if there is something to wake up for they will do, you just need to make sure there isn't anything to wake up for (easier said than done I know), hey I'm so glad those days are over for me:D

I've been doing lots of research lately, Alfie is my first and I had no idea that bottles could be bad for his teeth so I have had a good chat to hubby and as of yesterday I'm watering down his bottles, I also read a good tip, put the old small teats on and he may all asleep before he's finished it anyway.

I'm going to lower the amount gradually and ensure that the bottles during the nit also are watered down and see where I get, wish me luck!!!

Night 2 down, more water added last night, few grumbles at it but he drank it! Wish he'd not wake for the other 2 bottles though, and he's awake now already,, grrrrrr

Back