Mung dhal

Honeyoc

Is a crunchy mama!
Serves 4
1.5 syns or 1/4HEB per serve

8024349124_d818db046f.jpg

Lentils
250g split mung beans (or any lentil really, just adjust cooking time)
1 small cauliflower
1/2 tsp salt
1 litre water

Curry
1T olive oil (6 syns/HEB)
1 onion, chopped
3 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
Thumb sized piece of ginger, grated
3 tomatoes, roughly chopped
2 tsp coriander seeds
2 tsp black mustard seeds
1 tsp cumin seeds
8 cardamon pods
4 - 5 dried Kashmiri chillies
Scant tsp turmeric
10 curry leaves
1 cinnamon stick, broken up
Salt & pepper
Veg stock cube
1 tsp honey (1 syn negligible per serving)
Some water
Big bunch of fresh coriander

Wash the lentils until the water runs clear, transfer to a big pot and top with the water and salt. Bring to the boil and cook uncovered for 20 minutes. Add the cauliflower florets and cook for a further 15 - 20 minutes. The lentils and cauliflower should be really soft and mushy with a bit of water still left in the pot. It should look like a thick soup.

Meanwhile make the curry. Heat a dry pan and toast the cardamom, coriander seeds and cumin seeds until fragrant, transfer to a mortar & pestle and grind to a fine powder. Pick out the cardamom husks.

Heat the oil and add the ground spices, mustard seeds and curry leaves. When they stop popping, add the onions, garlic, ginger, chillies and fry for a few minutes stirring constantly so it doesn't burn. Add splashes of water from time to time so the onions can soften without burning, when it evaporates, add a bit more until the onions are really soft (about 20 minutes)

Add the tomatoes, salt, pepper, stock cube, turmeric and cinnamon stick. Stir well, add about 1/2 cup of water, cover and simmer for 5 - 10 minutes until the tomatoes have broken down.

Pour the curry into the cooked lentils, add the fresh chopped coriander an honey and stir well. Eat!

I had it with fried okra http://www.minimins.com/slimming-wor...ml#post5659274 (Fried okra!) and turmeric rice which was just 300g basmati rice, washed and cooked in 600ml boiling hot water, salt, half a stock cube, 1/2 tsp turmeric and 5 split cardamom pods. Bring to the boil and the turn the heat down to the very lowest. Steam for 20 minutes or so. DO NOT open the lid!!!

Sounds lovely. I've been doing SW very gently since June and am constantly amazed at all the wonderful recipes. We had the classic chicken curry from the curry feast book last night and it was a really tasty curry.
Must try your rice next time. I love cardamom.

Hope you like it! Besides pastry, there's really nothing you can't enjoy on SW! I never really spread my culinary wings until I started SW! And we thought diets were restrictive... How great is that?!

Back