Muscle v. Fat and Inch Loss

soshbfly

Silver Member
Howdy all,

Quick question as I've tried to find the answer to this online but to no avail.

I'm on my 2nd diet in ~4 years (same one both times - Dukan). I'm not losing a tremendous amount of weight this time and so have slightly modified to keep up motivation. But that's not why I'm here :)

I'm quite detailed and organised and so I've kept a weight log (sometimes measurements) for many years. I found an entry from nearly 4 years ago when I'm the exact weight I am today BUT my waist is a hair off 2 inches less! I will admit that I'm much more fit these days - PT, boxing, swimming, core exercises and running - so that likely accounts for reshape of fat to muscle.

What I'm trying to find out is if I really wanted to compare like for like, what would be the POUND equivalent for each inch loss? Does that make sense? So if I weighed 170lbs then and now, would it be the same as me weighing 165lb now because my body size is actually smaller (and it is - all clothes are very roomy). I'm really trying hard to not be a slave to the scale and thought this conversion may help :)

Any insights, links or advice would be much appreciated!

I think that would be really jard to quantify because everyone carries fat differently and muscle distribution will be different depending on what exercises you do. All I could suggest would be to check your bodyfat %. It won't help you compare to your old measurements but it is a very good indicator of health, far better than weight if you're a very fit and active person. Remember that professional rugby players are officially obese on the bmi scale and marathon runners are underweight but both are immensely fit.

Back