Muscle vs Fat

wobbly tum!

I’m hoping one/some of you knowledgeable (lovely) people could help me with a question about exercise please?
I have (lots of) wobbly bits; most of all is my lower abs (probably more to do with having 2 kids but hey ho!) I also have big thighs due to horse riding in my younger days and I generally want to be 'smaller' all over. I started weight loss at the end of last year and it’s been slow and steady (ish!) with 17lbs off on scales this morning and I’ve also been exercising twice a week (1hr circuit class on Mon and 1000m swim on Thurs) I’m also currently on day 7 of Jillian Michaels 30 day shred and am worried that I’m going to turn all my fat to muscle and still be ‘big’ just less wobbly!
I still have 20lbs or so to get to goal (this will be reviewed once I get to a ‘healthy’ BMI) and I’m wondering if I should cut back on the exercise or step up the cardio and cut down on the strengths?
I don’t want to have too much muscle but just tone.
If anyone understands my ramblings I’d be glad of a little advice please J

Thank you!

(I was going to post on MFP but I know I’d just get some garbled scientific reply or the standard ‘lift heavy and you’ll be good’ that’s always floating about on there!)

Hello- this is def not going to be a "science-y" reply but it sounds as though you are doing everything right to me- varied exercise and presumably calorie counting.

I don't think there is any danger of turning all the fat to muscle as your body will lose the fat to its natural point and then build muscle around that. I very much doubt you will look all bulky unless you actively try to achieve that and are gulping down protein shakes willy nilly and pumping iron 24/7 :)

The Shred is meant to be really good for toning up and losing inches so definitely stick with that plus your circuits and swim sound like a really good balanced regime. Try changing it up sometimes if you feel like the results are slowing as your body gets used to things. Have you considered the couch to 5km routine, or just running in general perhaps?

Anyway WELL done on your losses so far and your continuing approach - it all sounds like its going well - plus since you don't have much to lose its always harder/slower toward the tail end. Just keep it up and you'll get the results :)

Thanks BerryBerry :) I seem to have stalled with the weight loss which is why I stepped up the exercise (to include JM) but scales showed a gain today which is why I'm a little worried!
I am cal counting (1200 plus eating exercise cals back) and defo NOT drinking protein shakes and pumping iron LOL!
I'm waiting for the lighter evenings to go running as hubby won't let me out on my own in the dark ;-) I'm also trying to recruit a running partner to motivate me and seems to be going well! I'm a seasonal jogger and only do it in the spring/summer to train for the race for life in June.

Thanks for reading and replying x Will stick with it for 2 weeks and see what happens :)

Have you tried measuring?! Perhaps do that once a week too. It's what I was advised by my personal trainer.

He also said if you only do cardio your burn fat but become a smaller version of your fat self ie same shape and just as wobbly. Whereas lifting weights and strength training will change your shape and tone it all up b

Perhaps try the measuring too?! I've done mine this week so when I do t loose on the scales I may have lost inches!!! X

Hi
You don't have enough natural testosterone in your body to bulk up. If you follow what Jillian Michaels says she encourages women to use weights to burn far as muscle Burns fat at twice the rate of fat itself. Even if you try a but of yoga or pillared that will lean your body out.

Well done on the weight loss so far your soon fab.

Sarah xx

Have you tried measuring?! Perhaps do that once a week too. It's what I was advised by my personal trainer.

He also said if you only do cardio your burn fat but become a smaller version of your fat self ie same shape and just as wobbly. Whereas lifting weights and strength training will change your shape and tone it all up b

Perhaps try the measuring too?! I've done mine this week so when I do t loose on the scales I may have lost inches!!! X

I like the bit about cardio making you a smaller version of what I am now :) So I'm pretty much doing it right then, makes me happier!
Oh and I do measure nearly as much as I stand on the scales LOL!!! Neither are moving at the moment tho :-(

Thanks Sarah, it's good to know I'm not too masculine ;-)

Back