My conversation with LT ... strawberry mousse & water intake (long one - sorry.) x

JanD

maintaining since June'09
Hi Guys!

I rang LT this morning to ask about strawberry mousses. You see the making up instructions on the LT bags say you can make mousse out of choc or vanilla shakes but don't mention strawb. My pharmacy didn't know when I asked them so I decided to just try them, they were fine so I've been having ALL my shakes as mousses.

With my lousy loss last week I thought I'd better leave no stone unturned so - although I couldn't believe it could have had anything to do with it - I rang to check that making the strawb shakes into mousse doesn't add a few million calories to them ;) - or whatever ..... :p

ANYWAY!! The lady I spoke to said she didn't know why they weren't included in the mousse instructions and asked if I'd tried them. When I said I had and they were fine she said carry on then and that having them all as mousses would not affect my losses but to remember to have an extra glass of water as I wasn't having a shake.

I said that my water intake shouldn't be a problem as I have between 4 and 5lts a day.

SHE said - well you musn't have more than 8 pints. My heart sank - 8 pints?? I asked why and she said that if you drink more than that you will wash away all the nutrients and just wee them out.

But I said I was concerned that I'd be thirsty on only 8 pints and SHE said - well that's not including any you have in shakes and you can also have as much black tea and coffee as you like ..... (which I think answers that question of whether T & C is included in fluid intake - obviously not!)

So I came off the phone concerned that I was going to have to cut my water down when I really enjoy it and feel as though I need it!

So - to be sure, instead of guessing or doing it roughly, I found the conversion factor (which is x 0.568) got the old trusty calculator out and guess what? 8 pints is 4.5lts!!!!!

DUR!!!! How stupid am I!!! And how annoying was she not saying that instead of putting the wind up me!!!

Now you may say why should she have known that they were the same when I didn't and my answer would be ... because she should have - so there!! ;) :p xx

Just thought some of you might find something interesting or useful about this - sorry it's so long. If you haven't fallen asleep by now - WELL DONE!!!!!! :D xx

Reactions: KD
LOL Jan, nightshifts have a way of making our brains not thing logically, plus you have had the added worry about your Son. Chin up girl, big hugs xxx

But I said I was concerned that I'd be thirsty on only 8 pints and SHE said - well that's not including any you have in shakes and you can also have as much black tea and coffee as you like ..... (which I think answers that question of whether T & C is included in fluid intake - obviously not!)
OMG!!!! :eek::eek::eek: My pharmacist said that ALL fluid apart from what you use in the shakes was counted in the fluid intake recommendation!! I've been drinking LOADS of black tea (because I've been so cold, and the Irish weather isn't helping!) thinking 'Well, at least I'm keeping my fluids up!'?!?! But apparently not? I'm averaging 10pints a day (roughly 5.5l) ut including my tea in that. I always have at least 5 pints of 'pure' water though?
Now I'm worried...
I was concerned that the caffeine in the tea was affecting my losses and am switching to de-caff from today.
I guess I'll just have to drink more water & less tea then?...:cry:

The whole water intake thingy confuses me. Sometimes I used 300ml in my shakes. Does this increase the water intake? I'm starting to find it hard to drink my water these days. I can only manage 1.5litres now. Since it's so cold, I avoid drinking water when I'm out because I'm freezing. I was walking outside, it was sunny but freezing, people were wearing light clothing while I was walking around with a beanie hat, scarf, my hoodie and gloves. People were looking at me like '...eh...?' LOL

LOL! I know what you mean- thats why I was guzzling big mugs of black tea- to try & warm myself!! I'm confused now.

I get cold too.. im practically shivering all day. At work I fill a flask with a litre of boiling water and get through two of them a day aswell as my other liquids. It helps. Otherwise if I have to go for shop water etc I buy room temperature.

Surely any water you drink either in the form of black tea coffee or to make shakes/soups will just be processed through the kidneys and you will just wee more if you drink more??

I'm revising the urinary system as we speak for an exam next week and i can not find any biological reason why all fluid you drink can't help! Like Katy just said, any liquid that is taken into the body is processed by the kidneys and passed out as urine.

I drink 4.5 litres a day, including my shakes and any tea i have. If i were to take the shakes and tea out of the equation, i would have to drink 4.5 litres of pure water, then an extra 1.5 with my shakes and tea. Totalling 6 litres a day!! I definately wouldn't go that far as i know its dangerous!

This is whats stated in my degree level anatomy textbook and on the bbc healthy living website:

" How much do we need?
The body gets its fluid from three sources:

Drinks, either plain water or as part of other beverages including tea, coffee and squash
Solid foods, especially fruit and vegetables (even foods such as bread and cheese provide small amounts of fluid)
As a by-product of chemical reactions within the body

Most adults need between one and a half to three litres a day, so aim to drink six to eight medium glasses of fluid daily. Beverages such as tea, coffee and fruit juices count towards fluid intake, and may bring with them other nutrients or benefits.
You may require more fluid if you're very physically active or during periods of hot weather.
You can judge whether you're drinking enough by the colour of your urine. If it's a pale straw colour then your fluid intake is probably fine. If your urine is dark yellow, you probably need to drink more. "

If the way you do things has never affected your losses on the diet i wouldn't be worried and just carry on the way you are :) xx

Well you seem to be doing absolutely fine on what you are currently drinking, Jan. By the way, how is your son doing?

oooh very interesting jan :D cheers for sharing with us all :)

oi havnt tried any shakes as a mouse although i think the weekend i might now! lol x

Hi all I have watched LT site official video bery recently and it states that you can drink as much T & C as you like just don't up your caffine in take so if you want to drink more t & C than you usually do opt for decaff with the extra's. As for water intake it does state very clearly in the video AT LEAST 4 PINTS NO MORE THAN 4 LITRES!!!!

I hope that helps, I drink up to 4 litres a day, but sometimes my body just doesn't want it, if you feel you need something inside you when you have taken all your shakes for the day, then have some more up to the 4lt restriction, if you have already had 4lt have a t or c.
xxx

I drink 4litres a day sometimes just over but i feel my body needs that amount - i dont think there should be a limit on water drank aslong as its throughout the day right?

Hi Summergirl the video say's 4 litres max and as much T & C as you like , so you should be fine. I do think if your body is asking for a drink you must hav e one or surely more damage would be done. In the case of exercising etc

I know it's all very confusing isn't it?! :(

As I've said in the past I think we basically 'know' ourselves if we're drinking enough or not. I just wish they would come up with a definitive answer as to what can be included in the total!!

Re my son - thanks for asking Sharon. He has come home this evening thank goodness. Mind you to hear he had been told another hour and his would have been a very different story was very sobering I can tell you! He's on loads of meds, still has abdominal infection and also cellulitis round his hip. All caused because his appendix ruptured as they were removing it apparently. We all think of appendectomies as being routine but he's actually been quite traumatised by the whole experience. Not being allowed any visitors certainly didn't help either!
Still he's home now and under the EXTREMELY good care of his husband. Their kids are coming to me for the weekend so they don't jump all over him!! xxx

so basically we need to have at least 2 ltrs not incuding shakes and at most 4litres including shakes

Well no coz as I said - when I said I wasn't sure it would be enough for me (before I realised just how much it was) she said, well you've also got your shakes and as much tea and coffee as you like ...... ?? Oh - I don't know - I give up! :)

I know it's all very confusing isn't it?! :(

As I've said in the past I think we basically 'know' ourselves if we're drinking enough or not. I just wish they would come up with a definitive answer as to what can be included in the total!!
Re my son - thanks for asking Sharon. He has come home this evening thank goodness. Mind you to hear he had been told another hour and his would have been a very different story was very sobering I can tell you! He's on loads of meds, still has abdominal infection and also cellulitis round his hip. All caused because his appendix ruptured as they were removing it apparently. We all think of appendectomies as being routine but he's actually been quite traumatised by the whole experience. Not being allowed any visitors certainly didn't help either!
Still he's home now and under the EXTREMELY good care of his husband. Their kids are coming to me for the weekend so they don't jump all over him!! xxx

Apperitonitis can be fatal, so let's thank the Lord he has come through it. He'll probably come on in leaps and bounds now he is home. Glad he has someone to look after him and Granny (you!) to help take the kids off of their hands while he recouperates. Who needs to go to the gym while you have grandkids?? AND you have 5 of them!!!!

Back