My diet coke addiction - will it get in the way?

Alice_ellie

Hi everyone, :wavey:

I hope you can help. I've started SW from home and was wondering about how bad diet coke will be for me on my journey. I imagine water is the healthiest drink and we should have plenty of it but I have at least 2 cans of diet coke a day. Do you think this will impact my progress? I wish I had the will power to cut it out as well as follow the plan but I'm just not there yet!

I don't know if it makes a difference but I don't drink tea or coffee.

Thanks!

I don't think 2 cans a day will affect your losses, diet drinks are free & although they make u bloated, i don't think they will cause u to lose any less weight if you weren't having them. I drink at least 1 can of diet coke & 1 can of sugar free energy drink most days & i loose when i follow the plan x

No, I really don't think Diet Coke would hamper weight loss, but water is just awesome for you, ESP. If you ever feel bloated, brilliant stuff :)

You should look up what's in diet coke. There are some really nasty chemicals in coke. There's nothing natural in diet coke. Just beware. It's been linked to cancer and everything :-(

I am interested in this because I drink A LOT of Pepsi max. I also drink water and herbal teas throughout the day, particularly at work where i have a large travel mug of mint tea on the go all day but evenings and weekends I have to have cold fizz. I find it helps fill a little gap if I get hungry.

There are 'ingredients' and some sweeteners can prevent you breaking that 'sweet tooth' cycle but they are still water based and I don't believe in the ridiculous carcinogenic claims. If I listened to all that I wouldn't drink anything carbonated, eat anything artificially sweetened, use underarm deodorant, wear underwired bras or eat sausages or any food that has been over cooked due to the cancer givin properties in charred foods. That's the summer BBQ out then. Plus I would smell and my boobs would sag ;-)

2 cans a day isn't much as long as its not all you are drinking. Having it alongside other drinks and everything in moderation is fine.

I've lost 3 stone drinking diet coke. I probably drink about 2l per week. I also drink about 2 l of water a day. On the weeks I haven't had any diet coke my weight loss hasn't been any better :)

I dont have anything but diet pepsi and no added sugar ribena.It hasn't affected my losses before :)

Thanks everyone. I'd heard that it made you want sugary food more but I'm doing just fine so far. Having said that, I've still got 9 syns left today so I might have some chocolate :p

I've lost 3 stone drinking diet coke. I probably drink about 2l per week. I also drink about 2 l of water a day. On the weeks I haven't had any diet coke my weight loss hasn't been any better :)

Same here, while ive seen a pattern of drinking more fluids in general improving weight loss, drinking calorie free drinks, even in large quantities has not hindered me.

There are a few people that get a nasty reaction to aspartame, the sweetner in diet coke.

Don't see anything wrong with drinking diet coke whilst on SW (apart from damage to your teeth from all fizzy drinks). Even if it is filled with crap and linked to cancer, what isn't these days? x

Yeah if you believed all the scare stories you would hardly eat or drink anything!

As these drinks are pretty much zero calories I am sure they won't effect weight loss. Watch for if they do set off sugar cravings which makes you go over your syns, but if it doesn't then enjoy your diet coke!

I lost 40lbs so far and enjoy one large glass of sugar free pop each day (at least). I do have thin enamel on my teeth though and my dentist said to drink it with a straw. I was surprised and said I was drinking diet pop so the sugar couldn't be doing that, but she said that it's not the sugar that does it, it's apparently the phospheric acid (I think) that does it, so to try and drink with a straw so it doesn't touch your teeth as much. Having said that it's only other acidic foods such as tomatos and fruit and we don't worry too much about those!

I was worried about this when I started, I drank a lot of fat coke and Pepsi, in fact think I was addicted to it! Managed to swap to coke zero and Pepsi max, after about 2 months I decided to drink it just at weekends....weather I drank throughout the week or just at weekends has never made any diff to me through weight loss.
therefore I don't think drinking 2cans a day will do you anyharm, just make sure your getting enough water aswel :)

Back