My diet, my way

Allotrope

I've yoyo dieted for years and am now trying to shift 5 stone. I started last week with a few very low calorie days, but I want to be able to eat with family and friends and not have my diet get in the way.

I was inspired by cynicalgirls diary "my skinny rules" to form my own list of dieting rules that work for me, at this time. When I go on holiday, in there weeks time, I'll need to tweak them, and again when I return. I'll just keep on tweaking when I need, and hopefully this will effectively mean it's a life long plan for me. I think this will help me take responsibility for my diet, not just start another plan then fail and binge.

Time to say goodbye to 5 stone and hello to a new wardrobe :)

Last edited:
So last week I started off on a vlcd for three days, then seemed to alternate high cal / low cal days. I lost 6.4lbs. Not as much as pure vlcd, but I was able to eat out and exercise!

Thurs - 550 cals
Fri - 657 cals
Sat - 698 cals
Sun - 1720 cals
Mon - 757 cals
Tues - 2231 cals
Wed - 732 cals

in particular, almost all days I only had a soya latte for breakfast and really focused on eating slowly.

Last edited:
Okay, so here is the first draft of my diet rules...I've tried to keep them flexible but so I will continue to lose weight.

My "eat as if you're already thin" rules
  1. Drink 2-3 litres water every day.
  2. Embrace fasting. Skip breakfast whenever possible and keep 2 days a week to 600 cals. Don't stress the calories on other days.
  3. Eat plants.
  4. Eat real food wherever possible (say no to sugar and junk)
  5. Refuel after working out (protein shake or soya latte, and a banana)
  6. Eat slowly - savour your food.
  7. Keep portions on the small side.
  8. Don't worry if you're not perfect. 80% is fine - get straight back on track, note your trigger foods and avoid.
  9. Exercise 5-6 days a week for 30 mins or more.
  10. Weigh in daily.

Good luck! and hope it works well for you,

I agree a whey shake after training is a good thing, just curious what exercise you have picked?

Usually a run or HIIT using body weight resistance - I tend to alternate. I say run but I'm
a bit rubbish at the moment so it tends to be a run / walk.

I did a 20 min HIIT off the Internet this morning - 30 seconds on / off of burpee push-ups, jump squats, lunges, high kneee etc.

I sometimes use BCAAs before or during if I'm exercising directly after a fast.

Why? What sort of thing do you recommend? You sound like you know what you're talking about :)

Im not sure i would say i am particularly knowledgeable, i am overweight at present due to years of inactivity. But have done a lot of sport/bodybuilding in my youth.

HIIT is good in my opinion, although im a big fan of traditional strength training myself as i believe it keeps you from losing LBM. Sounds like your really determined by the way!

As for shakes post training, i tend to stick to pure whey or ....believe it or not- milk :)

Accidental fast day today...! Am planning to do two or three a week. I think my next one will be Sunday.

Week 2 day 1

Weight loss to date: 6.4 lbs

Cals: 687

Exercise: 20 mins HIIT, steps so far 18688

Food:
2 x soya latte (don't want to make a habit of having more than one but was bought one by a friend)
1/2 yoghurt and jam bar
Side salad (no dressing)
Salmon fillet with roasted courgette in a tomato and garlic sauce

Plan for tomorrow:
We're going up to London to see Wicked. I'm going to go for a run in the morning, and have my usual soya latte for breakfast. Lunch will be leftover salmon and courgette, dinner will be wherever we stop. Optional snacks: apple, strawberries, hummus with crackers. Keeping it healthy but not worrying about calories too much.

Hopefully Wicked were fun, it's good to see there are a few of us winging it with regards to our diet rules. Yours look really good, best of luck with them.

Thanks razorbill - it was fab but the journey was rubbish! Trains were up the spout and the motorway was part closed, so we didn't get home til 3am. I had to drive the last leg so ended up eating chocolate to keep me going....oops! But home safely and then slept til 11am :)

Definitely worth going to see if anyone's interested!

So yesterday was very much an up calorie day but I still made (mostly) good choices.

Week 2 day 2

Cals 2083

Exercise: 30 min run / walk (pushed the run bits quite hard and did a few hill repeats)
15600 steps

Food:
B - Apple, banana, soya latte) woke up feeling v hungry)
L - salmon fillet, roasted courgette in tomato sauce
T - chicken and brown rice soup from pret, kale crisps
S - lots of hummus and spelt flatbreads (v high in cals :( ) and 1/2 large bar of dairy milk at 2am whilst driving home

My downfall really was in those snacks. It's so easy to go from a diet-friendly 1400 cals to a piggy 2000 cals!

Not sure what I'm up to today food wise, but it'll be less calorific than yesterday.

Week 2 summary

End of week 1: 14.02
Th - 687 cals / DVD HIIT
F - 2083 cals / 30 min run
S - 665 cals / rest day
S - 1465 cals / DVD HIIT
M - 1517 cals / DVD arms
T -
W -
Av cals per day:
Week 2 weigh in:
Weight lost:
Total weight loss:

Last edited:
It's 3pm and I'm now hungry. I've had my usual soya latte but nothing else. I ideally want to not have anything else until 6pm, then have dinner. That'll make it a good fast day to compensate for my ridiculous 2am chocolate eating yesterday. That's why I'm lurking around these boards a lot today... distraction. Wonder if I can get in a cheeky Nando's for 500 cals?

Didn't get to Nando's today but may tomorrow :)

Week 2 day 3

Cals: 665 - an unexpected vlc day, I just didn't feel hungry until 3pm.

Exercise: long dog walk. Not sure how many steps as forgot to wear my watch.

Food:
B - soya latte
L - none
S - raw cauliflower
T - roast chicken with ratatouille, cup of tea with milk

Flat tyre tonight. Had to call out homestart as we couldn't get the wheel off.

Tomorrow's plan:
Start some of the work I've been avoiding
Eat healthily (following my rules) but not restricted
Exercise!

You seem to be really focused. :D Your steps are amazing. I'm lucky to get to 10000 per day. I like the idea of creating your own life long plan & tweaking what works for you. I did something similar last year but just should have been stricter with the carbs. keep up the fab work xx:cool:

You seem to be really focused. :D Your steps are amazing. I'm lucky to get to 10000 per day. I like the idea of creating your own life long plan & tweaking what works for you. I did something similar last year but just should have been stricter with the carbs. keep up the fab work xx:cool:
Thank you! Long may the focus last!

I've always done loads of steps. At work I get around 20-25000 a day but I'm a teacher so off for the hols. I walk the dog a lot!

I tend to struggle with diet more at work, so am dreading September!

A good up day today. I was playing with the principles of slimming world today, as I need to focus more on healthy eating than calories. I like the idea of doing slimming world with a couple of fast days thrown in.

The only problem I have with slimming world is that it relys on low fat processsed products like muller light etc. But I know loads of people who have had a lot of success with it and whilst I'm concerned about being healthy, I also desperately want to shed this weight. I can always use my syns for cheese, olive oil etc.

I may completely decide against this...I'm only playing to find out what's easiest for me. Anyway, here's how today went:

Week 2 Day 4

Cals: 1465

Exercise: 30 min HIIT (21 day fix cardio)
Steps - 24100 (ooh I had no idea I'd done that many)

Food:
B - Apple, banana, soya latte (A)
L - Nando's chicken pitta (18), corn on the cob, spicy rice (2.5)
T - homemade chicken, potato & veg soup, 20 almonds (B)

Bit over on syns if I was doing SW, and a bit under on cals if calorie counting. But I ate more fruit and veg because of SW, otherwise (I probably would have had a vlc diet pack for dinner for convenience!)

Who knows where my diet is going next? I'll just play it by ear!

Enjoy the hols & the extra dog walks. :doggy: It is hard to stay on plan at work. My background is Youth Work so long hours, lots of office politics and stress and always someone providing lots of naughty treats in the office. :character00254:

Enjoy the hols & the extra dog walks. :doggy: It is hard to stay on plan at work. My background is Youth Work so long hours, lots of office politics and stress and always someone providing lots of naughty treats in the office. :character00254:
So true! I'm making the most of the holidays :)

Well I did SW today and it worked perfectly as I was out all day and it was my turn to do the picnic which meant I was able to choose some appropriate food. I was glad not to be on packs so I could join in.

I'm a daily weigher and my weight this week is being stubborn. I guess I should be glad that I'm not going up given my few days on packs and I will have put the glycogen and water weight back on, but I really want to get under 14st before my holiday next week, and I'm stuck on 14.1.6!! So near but so far!

Anyway, today....

Week 2 day 5

Cals - no idea...trying not to count at the moment

Exercise: loads...walked 12k, did 21 day fix arms workout. Currently on 21000 steps.

Food:

B - 50g smoked salmon, cucumber
L - small portion of whole grain baguette (B), slice of ham, salad, 2 chicken drumsticks (without skin), lots of cherries.
S - mini Cadburys fudge (2.5), 175ml white wine (7)
Post workout - protein shake (not counting if directly post workout)
T - wholewheat pasta with ratatouille (2 for oil) feta (A)
May have an apple for pudding...

Total syns: 11.5

Back