My experience with Atkins

joanne-lif

I wanted to share my personal experience with the Atkins diet.

I started at the beginning of 2017 to cut out A LOT of carbs. No potatoes, no rice. The first week was fine and I was really happy to try out new veggies as an alternative to potatoes, which I used to serve as a side dish almost every meal. I tried to eat more protein-rich food since I simultaneously started going to the gym. It was fine the first week. The second week, too I'd say. I lost 4 kg in those two weeks.

By the third week, I was getting tired of it all. And I had a small relapse and gained 3kg again. I was devastated.

By the fourth week I decided not to go as hard on myself as I did on the first two weeks. Sure, I was losing weight pretty fast. But it was at the expense of my comfort and happiness. SO I decided to go on with the diet, just not as strictly. And guess what? I lost 10kg in 10 months. 1kg a month may not seem a lot, but for me, fast weight loss wasn't the right way. I decided to be patient with myself and my body and not to do too much in too little time.

These days, I still have potatoes as a side dish with my meals. I just love em too much. I just reduced the amount and try to find alternatives that I like.

Weight loss takes time. Be patient. Try things and don't take it to any extremes if it costs you your comfort in your own body.

What a great post. Can I ask how you handled sugar? That's my biggest downfall on Atkins, I don't mind knocking the savoury carbs on the head but it's sweetness that I miss

At first, I didn't handle sugar very well! I cut it out of my diet almost entirely and suffered for it. Nowadays, I just try not to eat too many sweets and if I do, I try to use xylitol. Since I love baking anyways, it's great to make your own little treats! I do it every Sunday and hope that they will last for a full week :)

You did amazing. Fast weightloss isn't for everyone and also if people have less to lose they naturally lose weight slower. I've lost 27.2kg in 4 months now I'm on my 5th month but I started out really big for my height so I enjoyed the boost. But I know it will get slower as I have less to lose . I also introduced potatoes again too so expect to lose slower. It was like magic when I dropped rice potatoes and just had veg and protein. I had cheese too but not high fat like Atkins.

Can I ask what your stats are? And are you at goal now ? I'm 185lbs right now.

Back