• Upgrades have been completed! Including conversations, 😁😎🏀⚾⚽ Emojis and more.. Read more

My experience with Atkins

I wanted to share my personal experience with the Atkins diet.

I started at the beginning of 2017 to cut out A LOT of carbs. No potatoes, no rice. The first week was fine and I was really happy to try out new veggies as an alternative to potatoes, which I used to serve as a side dish almost every meal. I tried to eat more protein-rich food since I simultaneously started going to the gym. It was fine the first week. The second week, too I'd say. I lost 4 kg in those two weeks.

By the third week, I was getting tired of it all. And I had a small relapse and gained 3kg again. I was devastated.

By the fourth week I decided not to go as hard on myself as I did on the first two weeks. Sure, I was losing weight pretty fast. But it was at the expense of my comfort and happiness. SO I decided to go on with the diet, just not as strictly. And guess what? I lost 10kg in 10 months. 1kg a month may not seem a lot, but for me, fast weight loss wasn't the right way. I decided to be patient with myself and my body and not to do too much in too little time.

These days, I still have potatoes as a side dish with my meals. I just love em too much. I just reduced the amount and try to find alternatives that I like.

Weight loss takes time. Be patient. Try things and don't take it to any extremes if it costs you your comfort in your own body.

Get Rid of this ad and join in on the conversation for free today! Tap here!
What a great post. Can I ask how you handled sugar? That's my biggest downfall on Atkins, I don't mind knocking the savoury carbs on the head but it's sweetness that I miss

At first, I didn't handle sugar very well! I cut it out of my diet almost entirely and suffered for it. Nowadays, I just try not to eat too many sweets and if I do, I try to use xylitol. Since I love baking anyways, it's great to make your own little treats! I do it every Sunday and hope that they will last for a full week :)

You did amazing. Fast weightloss isn't for everyone and also if people have less to lose they naturally lose weight slower. I've lost 27.2kg in 4 months now I'm on my 5th month but I started out really big for my height so I enjoyed the boost. But I know it will get slower as I have less to lose . I also introduced potatoes again too so expect to lose slower. It was like magic when I dropped rice potatoes and just had veg and protein. I had cheese too but not high fat like Atkins.

Can I ask what your stats are? And are you at goal now ? I'm 185lbs right now.