:( my mind is going to lose this fight for me!!

Erised

Hi all, just finished day 4 and not really too hungry, what is really getting me down is what is going on in my head. I just feel so down, all I think about is TS, I'm even dreaming about it and feel like I have nothing else to talk about.

I think it's the level deprivation and feeling of unfairness that people around me can be so unaffected by weight gain despite the fact they eat what they want. Worrying about your weight is such a big stressor- because it's so constant. Even while I'm trying to lose weight I'm stressed about it, when I've lost it I will be stressed about putting it back on. I feel so jealous that people are free of this cycle of worry.

I know why I want to do this and the potential results but these four days have draggggggeeeed!!

God- sorry for the essay :((((

B x

Don't give up JilabooB-it will be all worth it. Try not to worry at the moment about what you will feel after you have lost the weight. I think you should take each day as it comes and celebrate that you have got through another day successfully. Stop beating yourself up-no-one said it would be easy, it isn't! So you should pat yourself on the back when you do stick to it-it is an achievement. I am so sorry you feel like this. Take it in small steps. xx

After a while you will stop constantly thinking about it, I barely think about food or sachets now in week 5, and Ive even started cooking the family dinners again. I still obsess about my weight, think I always will, but its getting to be a happier obsession as I get into clothes that haven't fitted in many months! Hang in there honey. xxx

Hi JilabooB. I don't want to sound as though I'm banging on about the book I am following alongside this diet, because I know I have mentioned it here a few times before, and I'm not yet convinced that it is worthwhile. But I have got to Day 23, and today's section of "The Beck Diet Solution" (by Judith Beck) covers exactly this feeling of unfairness. I hope you don't mind if I describe what she says, in case you might find it of interest?

The author says that life isn't fair, and that everyone has to struggle with unfairness of some sort. In perspective, the unfairness of having to diet is less than, say, the unfairness of not having enough food to eat because of poverty, or of suffering chronic ill health. She says that we can choose to focus on the negative side of this, or we can just accept that it is just an unfairness that we have to put up with, and get on with things.

To counteract the feelings of unfairness, Beck suggests reminding ourselves of the reasons why we want to lose weight, and keeping these reasons at the forefront of our mind. Then we should ask ourselves which is more unfair - having to stick to our diet, or having to do without the advantages of losing weight. We should also think of all the advantages that we have that others in the world may not, and measure the unfairness of dieting against other injustices in the world, to put it into perspective.

She says that every time we feel like this, we should just acknowledge the unfairness to ourselves, then say "oh, well" and move on. (The alternative is to give up the diet and carry on at your current weight, or to diet intermittently but never reach your goal, or even to gain weight.)

So that's from the book...

Now, from me... If you are struggling with TS, had you considered doing Working Solution instead and adding some real food every day, in a controlled manner? I know the weight losses are marginally slower, but surely that must be better than struggling as hard as you seem to be? And if you are worried about maintaining weight after you have achieved your goal, this method gives you more time for the new eating habits to become ingrained and automatic. At any rate, don't give up. Don't focus on negatives, but think about the positive aspects of your diet - how you made the decision to change your weight in the first place, and how you have shown determination and strength in getting started on the project. You have invested four whole days into this venture already, which is an achievement to be celebrated! Well done!

Thanks :) small steps I know. I think I just feel ashamed at how much food was obviously part of my life. The doubts are seriously kicking in despite the fact I've been 100% and physically haven't struggled too much! Arggghhhh!! I'm such a drip. I take my hat of to you both- amazing. How much have you both lost in how long?? Xx

Thanks BijouHope-Thanks for this- it has made me think. I know that what you and she are saying is right, but if we could all rationalise like that then there would be no unhappiness in the world. I am going to stick to it- at least TS for the first week otherwise the first four days have been a waste. I will reassess after then. It's so true that your body can do anything but your mind is a stickler!! Lol! I just want to not be thinking about it at all, I'm reading a new book and still my brain skips back to it!!

Xx

I lost almost 18lb in three weeks then nothing in week 4. That was mega disheartening :-( I'm well into week 5 now but I'm terrified I'm not losing weight still - hubby hid the scales at my request cos I know if they don't show any movement I won't have the will power to carry on. This is my usual pattern so I know it will start coming off again. It's just frustrating how my body works. I've been to diet clubs with friends and always been the one who lost weight slowest. I have a very low cholesterol level, only 3.2, but a BMI of 32. Wish I understood why/how! I just know I couldn't stay 5 stone overweight - no matter how difficult it is, I have to do this!

Amazing losses and so positive that you troop on despite your bad weak!! You are right - we have to do this, no choices!! :) thanks for your support. Xx

Everyone has spoken a lot of sense. Stick at it and you'll soon be feeling better. Just remember, you're amongst a whole lot of other people who have to diet to lose weight and can't just eat what they want and stay thin.

I have lost 7lbs in the 2 weeks I have been doing this-it is not massive but it is better than I would have done on any other diet, I know this because I have done them all ;)
I am staying off the scales and only going on once a week, but I do also know that I am loosing inches-I can feel it! It is easy to get jealous of those people who can eat what they like, my hisband is one of them, but we can't do anything about that-we can do something about our own situation though-that's the challenge!! xx

I'm not so sure now. I'm actually enjoying having the control (or lack of) taken over for me, even if I do miss food sometimes. And I want to lose another two stone before our Aug holiday! Won't achieve that on WW. I think I might have to do WW to maintain tho cos I'm sure I won't cope with managing my food intake without help.

I agree, if you have had any problem with weight you can't just go back to not managing. I might do the two day fasting thing maybe?? X

Seems like a good idea. Wonder if it really works? I do like the low carb thing tho, with no hunger. Can you maintain on a programme that includes that tho?

I see this threads pretty much been wrapped up but in life everyone feels like life is unfair, the skinny people will have this feeling on something else too they they may be jealous of us!

atm I'm sticking to low calorie and added carbs in tonight for the first time so hopefully ill get the hang of it =)

I totally agree with Bijouhope about reading Dr Beck's Diet Solution. I havent followed everything she says in it to the letter but it really gets your head in the right place for losing weight and dealing with self sabotaging thoughts
Good Luck xxx

Hope you have a better day today!

Hi JilabooB. I don't want to sound as though I'm banging on about the book I am following alongside this diet, because I know I have mentioned it here a few times before, and I'm not yet convinced that it is worthwhile. But I have got to Day 23, and today's section of "The Beck Diet Solution" (by Judith Beck) covers exactly this feeling of unfairness. I hope you don't mind if I describe what she says, in case you might find it of interest?

The author says that life isn't fair, and that everyone has to struggle with unfairness of some sort. In perspective, the unfairness of having to diet is less than, say, the unfairness of not having enough food to eat because of poverty, or of suffering chronic ill health. She says that we can choose to focus on the negative side of this, or we can just accept that it is just an unfairness that we have to put up with, and get on with things.

To counteract the feelings of unfairness, Beck suggests reminding ourselves of the reasons why we want to lose weight, and keeping these reasons at the forefront of our mind. Then we should ask ourselves which is more unfair - having to stick to our diet, or having to do without the advantages of losing weight. We should also think of all the advantages that we have that others in the world may not, and measure the unfairness of dieting against other injustices in the world, to put it into perspective.

She says that every time we feel like this, we should just acknowledge the unfairness to ourselves, then say "oh, well" and move on. (The alternative is to give up the diet and carry on at your current weight, or to diet intermittently but never reach your goal, or even to gain weight.)

So that's from the book...

Now, from me... If you are struggling with TS, had you considered doing Working Solution instead and adding some real food every day, in a controlled manner? I know the weight losses are marginally slower, but surely that must be better than struggling as hard as you seem to be? And if you are worried about maintaining weight after you have achieved your goal, this method gives you more time for the new eating habits to become ingrained and automatic. At any rate, don't give up. Don't focus on negatives, but think about the positive aspects of your diet - how you made the decision to change your weight in the first place, and how you have shown determination and strength in getting started on the project. You have invested four whole days into this venture already, which is an achievement to be celebrated! Well done!

I've been reading this too! And I've found it really really helps! You should defo get a copy xx

Back