My no more fad diet's diary - warts and all

Hi everyone!

Here is my story so far, Ive been fighting with weight problems my whole life, at 11 years old I weighed 11 stone, at 16 I started my first proper diet, losts a couple of stone before going back to my old ways, this went on for over 10 years, gaining and losing weight, gaining more then I lost, always making excuses, always putting it off until tomorrow... but the problem being, tomorrow just never seemed to come.

It got to the point where I would get out of breath doing the smallest of things, but I ignored the scales... wouldnt get on them... finally I realised enough was enough, I hated myself, hated how I looked, how that made me feel, how I hated being in crowds, if I heard people laugh it must have been about me. I got on the scales and nearly passed out when I saw 16stone flash up... 16stone at 5ft4, so I started the Tony Ferguson diet from Boots and lost 4 stone in 5 months, then I took a break for christmas... and never came back, this was christmas 2010, I've been losing a few pounds, then gaining it again since then.

Last week I was out with a bloke Ive been kinda seeing, a big group of his mates turned up and he went over to chat to them and from where I was sitting I could hear them if they spoke loudly but they couldnt see me and one of his mates shouted "mate who was that fat blonde bird" my friends heard and gave that awkward chit chat, trying to speak over what they were saying, sharing awkward looks between each other when they didnt think I was looking, me being me, I just pretended I didnt hear anything but of course its been playing on my mind non stop.

So on monday I got on the scales, weight back up... only a little bit but still up. I am now 12stone 7lbs so I spend Monday feeling sorry for myself, woke up tuesday and said enough is enough, started healthy eating and dragged the exercise bike out of the spare room.

My goal is to try and lose 7lbs a month with healthy eating and exercise. I don't know if thats do'able but Ive got to do something and cant face food replacement again, I need to re-educate myself. I can not remember ever being below 11 stone my whole adult life, but still... my goal is 9 stone 7lbs... so 3 stone to go.

So here it is... my diet diary, hopefully this will help me stick at it.

Wish me luck :)

Today is day 4 of the diet, so far so good.

I am denying myself things and taking healthier options but Im not feeling hungry.

I got a new set of kitchen scales and my god I had no idea how much I was actually eating... I would read of the side of packages how many cals and fat per serving and think ahhh thats about a serving.. was it hell! So now I am weighing my food, might sound a lot of faffing around but it really isnt, only takes a few seconds to pour it into scales, then pour onto a plate or saucepan. Just making a few changes really makes a difference, Im now eating until I am no longer hungry instead of until I felt stuffed full, using smaller plates and changing snacks to fruit and healthy options.

Im not pre planning meals but after everytime I eat something I make note of it and count up the calories, if I go over, then I add time in the gym.

Im hoping to lose between 1.5lbs and 2lbs a week so I can stick to my 7lb a month goal, but as this is my first week of restart after a very long break, Im keeping my fingers crossed for 3lbs or 4lbs as previous diets have shown me that I normally lose half of what I lose in my first week every week after that.

Fingers crossed my plan works this time!

Thanks shanny, yeah counting calories and moving a lot more! Only started on tuesday but want to weigh in on a Sunday so weighed today and already lost 7lbs! Im amazed!

I know im not going to lose what much every week but 7lbs is a great kick start and proved to me that I can lose weight without doing food replacement, something I didnt think I could do!

Hey, just popped by to wish you luck :)

Wow well done. I too am doing the eat less move more diet lol.

How many calories are you eating?
I'm starting with 1375 so hopefully will have a 4/5lb losee this week :)

Thank you both :)

Im eating between 1300 and 1500 as I read if you vary it on a daily bases it stops your body from getting stuck in a rut, i guess if you think about it, if you werent watching what you ate, you would never eat exactly the same number of cals each day normally... so makes sence hehe.

I just need to make sure I dont start getting complacent again, as thats my biggest down fall, I get to a size where I feel "normal" even though Im still over weight and stop trying so much or cheating, then the weight loss stops and I get frustrated and give up.

I've done myself a fitness plan, where every stone lost I up my exercise, for two reasons because hopefully after the time it takes me to lose a stone, I will have upped my fitness levels and also the smaller you are the less calories you burn doing daily activities, I guess for me not only do I want to lose weight, I want to be fitter, I have always hated exercise, even in school, I always had a note lol but getting myself an exercise bike at home, is the best thing Ive done, I can burn calories while watching telly at night, but once I get to a point where I dont feel I'll look an idiot in a gym, I want to get a personal trainer, maybe that will be my "treat" for the last stone

Day 7 now and still going well. The only thing Im having trouble with, is eating enough calories, Im finding myself being 200 to 300 calories short quite often and having to go through the cupboards to try and find something to eat, even thought im not hungry to make up the calories... not sure this is a good thing or not? As often Im picking slightly unhealthy things just to make up the calories...

The exercise is still going well, Im burning just over 1000cals a day through walking, cycling and bits at the gym and still enjoying it, hopefully this is the start of a life style change, where exercise stays an enjoyable thing rather then something I hate and avoid, Im still not really happy about doing a lot in public as I feel a huge fat blob but Im hoping as the weight comes off, I might be a bit braver to do more in the gym, join some classes and have some fun with it. I would also like to do something for charity, something which is really going to push me, not sure what yet, need to get the weight off first really but i'll find something, maybe a long distance bike ride or climb a mountain or something hehe.

I think I did the right thing by setting myself goals which should be pretty easy to hit, Im shocked by the 7lbs loss, in only 5 days! So I've already done my 1st target, three weeks early! 3 and a half weeks until my first goal date, would be amazing if I could manage to lose another 7lbs and smash my first two goals, but we will see, I'm not putting any pressure on myself, just as long as Im skinny by xmas this year, thats fine by me!

Wow what a great start! :)

Thank you both :)

Day 8 and still doing ok, Im just trying to make sure after such a good loss last week that I dont start to expect too much and get frustrated when I lose less, I need to remember that between 1.5lb and 2lb a week is my target.

It's easy to get ahead of yourself isn't it? If I have a big loss one week i'll start working out 'if I carry on at that rate I'll be ?lbs down by...' If that makes sense, then i'll be disappointed if the next loss isn't on track with that goal.
A loss is a loss and even a STS is better than the gain we would have undoubtedly had before we started. As I said though you've done great and I'm sure you'll carry on doing great :D sorry for waffling!

Back