My spangly low carb odyssey

Spanglymum

Gold Member
Here goes! Thanks for the welcome, everyone.

My story in short? Between 2010 and 2011 I lost 78lb on lighter life. I've kept all but one stone of it off for over a year now.

However that last stone came back at Christmas and despite various attempts I've not got it off again. So here I am... Refocusing on low carb as I know it suits me and I hope it will help me get back to goal...

Hi spangly,

I lost 4 stone with LL earlier this year. I've been low carbing since I finished LL, but I've plateaued at 10 stone, just keep losing and gaining the same 2lbs. Think I'm going to go Primal and shift my focus to nutrition and health benefits rather than weight loss. Look forward to reading how it goes for you.

Wow incredible loss and well done for keeping the majority of it off ...good luck on your low carb journey looking forward to reading your diary z

Thanks!! Writing it down again has reminded me of my success (I've been dwelling a LOT on the 'failure' re the last stone). It's good to remember what I HAVE achieved. Here's me on day 1 of LL:

Attachments

• image-1762672424.jpg
    image-1762672424.jpg
    361.2 KB · Views: 282
And here's me at my ideal goal weight at Christmas:

Attachments

• image-4267535049.jpg
    image-4267535049.jpg
    298.1 KB · Views: 300
OMG WOW !!!!!!

What a difference that's so fantastic you look like a completely different person :):)

STUNNING

Fabulous before and after piccies.

Have a good day today.

Thanks!

Well, I'm doing fine, although yesterday I did quite a lot at the allotment so then got the munchies. I managed to stave them off with low carb food though I think I probably ate more than was ideal. (I'm trying to lose the last few pounds to get back to Christmas weight.)

Very happy to be off the packs though and back in the world of real food.

Monday I went a bit off road as we had the torch visiting our village and I took the day off. Did a barbecue for the family and stayed proudly paleo until I made the mistake of having a crisp. I don't eat crisps! Never been a major fan. But one crisp led to quite a few handfuls, some raisins, some breadsticks and some whole food (but still full of sugar) licorice. Could be a lot worse, I know. But yesterday I was back to being soooooo bloated again. Felt quite low about it. and scared about trusting myself around food. What if I never get control? What if I'm doomed to regain everything i lost? Etc etc. (melodrama, anyone?!)

Today, after my first decent night's sleep in ages, I can put it in perspective. Phew. This isn't a 'diet' after all. It's a way of life. 80:20. I'm learning.

On a different note, am toying with the idea of cutting out legumes (this is a big deal for me as I love unsweetened soya milk, and peanut butter) ... So bought some coconut milk yesterday (I checked it's the kind made from coconut and water and nothing else). Not convinced I can get used to it though...

I reckon I'm currently addicted to tea with unsweetened soya milk. Ok, on the grand scheme of things quite a minor vice (!) but not paleo...

Been doing the whole justifying thing, eg if I were low carb I could have it etc etc, but I know the paleo rules are there for a reason: to maximise health. Don't I want that?!

Fab before and after photos!

I don't like coconut milk in coffee. I'd much rather have cream, so I do. I like soya milk too but soya really is suspect for health so I limit it.

Cream isn't v paleo but the way I see it is this has to be liveable or I won't stick to it. So my compromise is to have most of my coffee black, but once a day have a splodge of cream. Not sure which I'm really doing, clean low carb or paleo, there's not much between them...

As I get "cleaner" I can listen to my body more. For example, I can't have whipping cream in my coffee - costa use whipping cream and my somach really doesn't like it. Cheese makes my hayfever worse.

Good luck discovering your path!

Dairy seems to be the area that separates primal & paleo from what I understand. I guess it doesn't matter which, it's the overall picture of what you eat that's relevant. I will be doing a pescatarian version with some dairy so I'm not sure there's even a word for that! Is the coconut milk you use the same as the tinned stuff you add to curry?

Yes. You can get coconut milk and coconut cream (and creamed coconut, which is a solid block). I got some coconut cream as well but haven't tried it yet.

When does the appetite reduction kick in post-carbs?! Someone remind me it won't be long now!

Spanglymum said:
Yes. You can get coconut milk and coconut cream (and creamed coconut, which is a solid block). I got some coconut cream as well but haven't tried it yet.

When does the appetite reduction kick in post-carbs?! Someone remind me it won't be long now!

It won't be long now! For me, it was about 4 days before all negative effects disappeared and hunger was reduced a bit, but i couldnt exercise well and didn't see all the benefits until 3 weeks in, when my appetite was much reduced and I started feeling fantastic.

If you are going paleo rather than v low carb / ketosis etc, remember you can have some fruit which might help you transition.

Thanks, phoenyx. Am hanging in there (as they say). Feel ok today. Just weird how instantaneously bloated I get after a few carbs. Let that be a lesson to me, eh?! ;)

Today, not hugely hungry for breakfast (and was in mad dash to leave the house for 6am to beat the traffic) so had a few spoons of Greek yoghurt (not Paleo, I know!) at work. I also had half a teaspoonful of cashew butter. OMG!! Have never had it before. (Am trying out alternatives to my adored legumes you see...) It tastes like digestive biscuits! Nom nom. But more "claggy" (lol) so wouldn't be easy to overdo it as it coats your mouth a bit. Yay. This is a happy discovery.

Got a "big ass" salad (thanks, Mark S) and some mackerel for lunch - but thinking this may have been an unwise choice in my (hot) office as I have lots of meetings in here this afternoon and don't think people will thank me!

Really hope I get a boost of energy soon. I slept brilliantly last night and the night before, which helps (something else I like about Paleo is the holistic approach, ie it's not a "diet" as such, and sleep and exercise and PLAY (!) are essentials... fab). In order to achieve this though I've had to sleep downstairs as my husband's MS wakes him frequently in the night - and so disturbs me as well - and my youngest still has unsettled nights from time to time as well. It's amazing what two nights of decent sleep can do though. I've been mega-assertive this morning at work. Go me! :D

Last edited:
Had some coconut cream in a cup of tea and it was fine! Hurrah! Possibly a viable alternative to soya? (though I'd better watch the calories...)

How's it going today? Loving your posts. It's a continuous learning curve and have to agree that it's a lifestyle and not a diet x

Thanks! It's going good, thanks. I had an off site meeting today and asked them for a Paleo lunch lol. I expained I have 'dietary pecularities' and made light of it and explained simply no grains, minimal dairy, no sugar, lots of meat, fish and veg... And they produced me the most amazing green salad and cold cuts! Every else was jealous as they had stodgy sandwiches, quiche and vols au vent lol. Go me!

looking forward to the weekend. There's a 'pick your own' event tomorrow at the local lavender fields, I'm planning to take the girls down there. And obvs will be watching the Olympic opening ceremony tonight, not least because one of my oldest friends managed to get himself a spot as one of the cast of thousands!!

Just noted on a Paleo blog somewhere that cashews aren't Paleo. Gahhhhh!

(peanut butter. No. Soya milk. No... Cashews as well?! Harrumph.)

Still watching the Olympics opening ceremony. I ought to go to bed but it's strangely compelling.

Must share the AWESOME dinner I made myself (modesty!). I made a Paleo mushroom korma. No recipe - just bits and bobs from the cupboard to taste. Was so delish my hubby asked for some too (even though he'd had his dinner with the girls earlier when I was on my way back from work) :D

I like Paleo. Just hope that I'm not going to massively gain because I'm finally eating nourishing meals after ages off and on packs... Feels strange to be so satisfied by food...

I don't think you need worry. I've found my appetite varies so sometimes I miss meals because I'm simply not hungry. Just need to listen to your body I think. I believe that once you've cut out all those carbs and simple sugars the cravings simply disappear. I really love this way of eating.

Back