My trousers pinch I burst a button on my favourite coat........

Valar-Morghulis

.....so it's time to do something. It's hard to be fashionable with a wardrobe full of nice clothes when absolutely nothing fits anymore. Esp. all those beautiful Karen Millen dresses and skirts I only ever wore a handful of times.

So currently I'm a size 20, all those pretty clothes are a size 14. I looked good at 14. 14 was a good size! Now I look like Jabba the hut. And its my own fault, too. Because I'm a glutton, chocoholic and notoriously lazy when it comes to exercise. I do wanna fit those dresses by this time next year, that should be do-able. I have a wedding to go to. And I don't wanna be the chubby one ruining the pictures. Fall me vain? Well about time I stop letting myself go.

So, I actually think 3 dress sizes in a year is a moderate goal. I want to really longterm change my eating habits, and I don't think a crash diet is the right way. I'm going to eat low GL and it might be a good idea to go back to that gym that gets my money every month.....

I don't own scales, but next time I'm at the gym, I'll let you guys know how much I weigh (not sure I wanna know).

So far the thing that's gonna be the hardest is cutting back on sweets (thank god for low GL alternatives) and alcihol (the downfall). I'm going to maybe have one treat day at the weekend, a treat could be one drink

What do you guys think?

And then of course sugary stuff is out, quick release carbs are out. No more waffles and syrup for Sunday breakfast :-(

I've started approx. two weeks ago, and a colleague already commented on my face looking slimmer (only 5chins) so let's see how it's going

Good for you trying to get healthier and to fit those loves Karen Millen clothes :) I am going down the slimming world route I put on I'm sure over 4 stone whilst pregnant and after I had my daughter tried calorie counting slim fast the works and then my auntie suggested slimming world cause you can eat loads and still have your chocolate fix lol now that's my kinda diet one thing is you can adapt most recepies to be slimming world friendly. Low gi is good a while ago I knew a personal trainer and he always used to suggest that as an eating plan. Good luck with your journey. :) x

Yes there are loads of really nice low GL friendly recipes for sweet stuff as well, like there's a flour-less brownie recipe, you use ground almonds instead! Yum!!! And with things like Agave and xylitol you can sweeten your baked goods without feeling bad.

I have never tried things like shakes, I just like to cook way too much. Today I'm making a big pot of lentil curry, I can freeze some and bring to work for lunch. I've also started having a nice side salad with most meals. And I'm using coconut oil for cooking, it actually gives your food a nice slightly coconutty flavour, and is way better for heating up than other oils.

I think the most important thing is to eat the right foods. So far it's going ok.

Good luck with yours! I saw a lot of people here do SW. Not even sure if we have it in Ireland or if that's a UK thing.

Sure, I'll find it for you later. Hafta look for it first :). They're really yum.

I also have a nice one for apple Flapjacks, and a lemon polenta cake. All low GL.

.....so it's time to do something. It's hard to be fashionable with a wardrobe full of nice clothes when absolutely nothing fits anymore. Esp. all those beautiful Karen Millen dresses and skirts I only ever wore a handful of times.

So currently I'm a size 20, all those pretty clothes are a size 14. I looked good at 14. 14 was a good size! Now I look like Jabba the hut. And its my own fault, too. Because I'm a glutton, chocoholic and notoriously lazy when it comes to exercise. I do wanna fit those dresses by this time next year, that should be do-able. I have a wedding to go to. And I don't wanna be the chubby one ruining the pictures. Fall me vain? Well about time I stop letting myself go.

So, I actually think 3 dress sizes in a year is a moderate goal. I want to really longterm change my eating habits, and I don't think a crash diet is the right way. I'm going to eat low GL and it might be a good idea to go back to that gym that gets my money every month.....

I don't own scales, but next time I'm at the gym, I'll let you guys know how much I weigh (not sure I wanna know).

So far the thing that's gonna be the hardest is cutting back on sweets (thank god for low GL alternatives) and alcihol (the downfall). I'm going to maybe have one treat day at the weekend, a treat could be one drink

What do you guys think?

And then of course sugary stuff is out, quick release carbs are out. No more waffles and syrup for Sunday breakfast :-(

I've started approx. two weeks ago, and a colleague already commented on my face looking slimmer (only 5chins) so let's see how it's going

Happy for you that you've decided to take the step, coz it really is worth it when you start seeing results, and before you know it, those KM clothes will be on you 24/7!
Hope it all works out for you. Best of Luck! :)

Lemai

Thanks Lemai

Yeah those clothes are a great motivation, like one of the dresses I only ever wore once and its stunning:-( am ashamed of myself whenever I look into my wardrobe and see it.

Ok, so here's the Brownie recipe, it's an adaption of Nigella's no flour brownies, so I swap the sugar with Xylitol (and use less because it is sweeter than sugar) and use coconut fat instead of butter. You'll need:

1 3/4 cups of ground almonds
3/4 cup of chopped Walnuts or Pecans
3/4 cup Xylitol
2tsp Vanilla Extract
1 cup coconut oil
8 oz dark chocolate
3 eggs

Preheat the oven to 175°C

Melt coconut oil and chocolate in a saucepan on the hob, take off the heat and add Xylitol and Vanilla
Mix almonds, nuts and eggs, then fold chocolate mixture under.

pour into a 24cm square tin and bake for approx 25-30 minutes or until firm on top and still a bit soft in the middle.

Voila Brownies!!!!

Btw Xylitol is a natural sweetener that doesn't mess up your blood sugars, like sugar does! But it has the same consistency and attributes as sugar, so it's perfect for using in baking

So, I've made a massive pot of lentil Curry last night, and will have to eat curry for a whole month or so now LOL. I was gonna make it vegetarian, but the they had lamb on offer in the supermarket, so I did put a bit in, you can barely find it with all the lentils though.....

I have two loafs of wholegrain spelt bread in the oven right now, one is for a friend. The other hopefully will do us for the week. it's going to be soooooo hard not to butter up a few slizes while it's still warm and gobble them down! On the plus side though, it's made from wholegrain spelt flour and I threw lots of seeds in it , so it's actually good bread!

My friend has an apple tree in her garden, so she asked would I come over and bake a few pies with her to get rid of some of the apples! It's like a ready made recipe for slipping off the wagon! On the plus side, baked apples have almost the same GL as raw ones, but I'm more worried about the shortcrust. We're already using my old friend the Coconut oil :) just adds flavour to it. Maybe we could use the spelt flour I used for the loafs? Would that be still nice? Anybody have any thoughts????

And I can sweeten the filling a little with Agave, I guess. And throw in Flaked Almonds for good measure.

This is why I'm overweight! I love baking and cooking and then gobbling it all up while it's still warm!!!! But I suppose by swapping white flour with spelt wholegrain and Butter with Coconut and sugar with Agave/Xylitol I can make it healthy. Isn't that what low GL is about? Swapping the crap for the good things?!

On the plus side I'm really down with the porridge eating for breakfast! Had some nice porridge made with Jumbo Oats and apple this morning, a pinch of cinnamon and a small squirt of Agave. And a soft boiled egg (from above mentioned friend's happy hens.....noms!) Because it's sunday got up kinda late and going to bake later on. Might have a wee spoonful of Curry later if I feel peckish, but am still full from breakfast, didn't even finish my bowl of Porridge (that's a good thing right? I was all happy and content with half the bowl, it really filled me up!), neither did the BF. So I wonder even though it has already been cooked would it be still nice microwaved for breakfast tomorrow? Only one way to find out I guess :)

We're invited to mammy in law for dinner tonight, there'll be roast and spuds and possibly cake and ice cream for dessert ('cos there always is....) So it's a bit of a slip off the path, but just gotta deal with it and be extra good all week then. Already made a meal plan, it really helps with the shopping as well (although I miserably failed stayuing within the weekly budget of €50....we're saving to buy a house next year)

So Monday lunch will be the curry, dinner will be a chicken stir fry (fresh veg) with quinoa (really gotta figure out how to best cook that stuff though, it's always way too chewy!!! Maybe soaking helps?)
Tuesday lunch stir fry leftovers, Tuesday dinner oven baked salmon with rocket polenta and a salad
Wednesday lunch nice big salad with tinned mackerel, Wednesday dinner Asparagus and goats cheese Quiche (wholegrain spelt crust, if it works today...) with a side salad
Thursday lunch leftover Quiche, Thursday dinner wholewheat spaghetti with lean mince Bolognese
Friday lunch leftover Spaghetti

Shopping Friday afternoon after work for new meal plan.

breakfast either Porridge or joghurt with fruit, mid-morning snack in work is usually a piece of fruit with yoghurt. afternoon snack either peace of fruit with almonds or I might make apple jacks.

Just took my loafs out of the oven and one of them stuck so badly to the tin, that its now all broken up into bits......couldn't help but do a bit of a thorough "tasting" of the broken bits so I guess that was lunch then(and yummy it was)................Will hafta keep the other loaf for myself now, rather than giving it away.

Good for you!!

The brownies sound delicious! I'm hoping to go from a 20 to a 14 too

Good luck x

Well- the one thing I am after reading your thread is hungry! So thanks for that : )

Good luck with it all. Your goal is really achievable but it sounds like you're a proper foodie which could be challenging!

Hi Greta, yeah I'm trying to swap the bad stuff for good stuff.....and then still be able to eat nicely. I love food......hence the dilemma I'm in. We had a bottle if wine with our baking session today (oops :/ I swear I won't have a drop next week) and we did 50/50on the coconut/butter and spelt/plain flour for the shortcrust (and full caster sugar) so the pie isn't that low GL...... it's a compromise I guess. Good thing that I'll give most of it to my colleagues tomorrow. My excuse is that it's sunday.

Come tomorrow I'll try and be good again. I'm also going to the gym on tuesday, so will get the disheartening truth of my actual weight. (,NOT looking forward to THAT)

Oh I love food too. Mainly waitrose cakes to be honest. I have a weakness for all things cake.

I'll never fathom how im managing to deprive myself on Cambridge

I'm interested in low GI mixed with SW when I am done with the CD so will see how you get on

Good thing about low GL is, that there are nice cake recipes and you don't hafta feel guilty. So that's why I find it quite appealing.

So, already strayed from my original plan for lunch, because a few of us went out. I was good though, I got a chicken and goats cheese salad! Yummy!

So instead of walking I went for an oul swim in the lake yesterday evening. Don't feel that guilty then of not making it to the gym today. Our car is getting fixed, so have no way of getting there :( ill do some zumba and yoga in front of the telly so.

Am gutted that I forgot my snacks at home in my Tuesday daze :( lunch will hafta do.....boooh.

I'm so tempted gettn a chocolate bar....

Have you tried Pilates? I foun that to be a great all over toner. My friend has my DVD and she's just got back from Canada so better leave it few days before asking for it back lol. Jet lag is not pleasant. :) x

Such a busy few days, sorry for not keeping Ye up to date.

Have had a bit of a mixed week diet wise, and this weekend won't help either. Am going out for a birthday. So there'll be food, drink and cake to be had.....on a more positive note though, in the ling run my efforts seem to be paying off, my work trousers stopped pinching and they're sitting kinda lose.

Still hadn't had the chance to weigh myself :/ aaargh where is my time going?????

Back