Nail biting.

Jenna88

Gold Member
Never in my whole 23 years have I had fingernails that are 'acceptable', in fact they're down right disgusting. I bite my nails right down to the skin leaving my fingers sore and red. I figure, since I'm trying to change my appearance weight wise, now would be a good time to tackle the nail biting issue.

Are there any other nail biters out there? Anyone who has beaten the habit? The stinky nail stuff that you put on your hands doesn't work for me, I bite through it...instead it just pi$$es me off when I end up eating food that tastes like it. Any tips would be much appreciated.

I don't bite my nails but pull the skin around my nails! Yes its disgusting & sore but its a habit, I do it more when stressed/bored.

I'm not sure what to advise...is it also when your stressed/bored?

I bit my nails until i was 20! I stopped though, without even realising it..i looked at my nails one day and thought 'god, they're long!!' Ive ALWAYS bit them until then..think i must have been hypnotised in my sleep LOL.. Haven't bitten in over a year now :)

After 38 years of biting my nails I just decided one day that I had to stop. I was a very bad bitter and tried different things in the past but always seemed to last about 3 months and then go back bitting again. I was getting really embarrased about the state of my nails (I too bit them down to the skin) and felt ashamed of them. I told myself it was a disgusting habit (think of all the germs that sit under the nail and you are putting that into your mouth!!!) and I didnt like watching other people do it so why was i doing it to myself. After that it was just will power, no bottles or anything else.

I did begin taking care of them from the minute I stopped biting, I took a nail supplement (from the health store), got almond oil to rub into nail bed, put on hand cream and invested in a glass nail file. I think I felt if I started taking care of them then why undo all my good work biting them off.

I now keep them short enough (so they wont break and I get tempted to start biting again) but just long enough that I can get a nice french manicure done if I have an occassion.

Sorry for the long reply but I do know where you are coming from on this. Give it another try and maybe this might be the time to do it.

I'm like you, big bear, my nails are lovely but I bite the skin around them. I can't actually believe I'm admitting this in a public forum, but I'm also thinking, if I lose the weight and feel slim and gorgeous, I don't want my hands to let me down.

It's definitely a stress thing for me. My job is really full on and the busier I am, the worse I get. I've had a bad few weeks at work so they're pretty horrendous at the moment.

If anyone finds a genius plan to help them stop - let me know! xx

I can really relate to the nail and skin biting also the horrible tasting nail stuff it didn't stop me either just made my food nasty lol x

ForumRunner_20120618_170154.jpg

i was going to reply but reading through my reply would be identical to fairymary. although i need to do a bit more hard work on the maintenance but at the mo im loving my bright pink nail varnish

I used to bite them all of the time then I realised when I painted them i wouldn't bite them! Also I bought a lot of pretty nails varnishes to use that would only look good on long nails. There's a new product out called Gellish I think which salons do, i'm pretty sure they don't ruin your nails like gels and extensions would. I think they just put this nail varnish look alike substance on your nails then harden it.

Nail varnish is no good for me I just bite it off :(

I used to bite my nails a lot but now I tend to pick at the skin. Thankfully, it's not as bad. One thing I try to do to stop it is wear a bobble round each wrist that I can fiddle with and play with when I'm stressed - I think nerves/stress is a big part of my habit. Maybe try it if you haven't. :)

Back