Naproxen WARNING !!!!!

Stapo60

Nil Satis, Nisi Optimum
Wasn't sure were to start with this, but here goes.
A couple of weeks ago I was getting a muscular ache around the shoulder area so went to visit my GP. He was very nice and congratulated me on my current weight loss etc. Then issued me with a presciption for my shoulder. The tablets worked wonders and the shoulder was as good as new within a few days.
However, after a week I was feeling nauseas bloated. Now having been on a VLCD for 15 wks I was pretty sure I knew how my body felt ( and something wasn't right). I decided to jump on the scales a day early and nearly fainted. The scales showed that I had gained 5lbs (Yes gained 5lbs).
My head went up my backside, depression set in, as I tried to work out what had gone wrong. I decided it must be the scales, so off to Boots I went. Jumped on the scales and waited for the printout (a gain of 6lbs) things were getting worse. So I racked my brains trying to work out what was going on.
I was using a different water flavouring but everything else was regimented except for one other thing. Those tablets for muscular aches.
One internet search later and I have found a forum full of people with weight gains due to Naproxen
rapid weight gain during naproxen use - Topix
It would appear that Naproxen encourages the body to retain water, and in my case as I was drinking 6-8 pints a day, I have a weight gain of 5lbs this week.
This is a warning to other dieters as Naproxen works brilliantly as pain relief, but the water retention is depressing.
Needless to say I am no longer using them and will put up with the pain.

http://www.minimins.com/exante-diaries/250623-lighter-life-exante.html

:4633:

Last edited:
Oh god! Lucky u found out! Atleast it's just water retention so will come straight off again fx

Thanks for your thoughts Shell.
A friend has suggested it may take up to 3 wks to get the effects out of my system (God, I hope not).

:eatdrink051:

Thanks for the heads up on Naproxen - You must have felt so disheartened :( ...Im glad you found out though x

Cheers Lauriel, "downhearted" is an understatement...LOL.
But I am OK now....

Thanks for sharing Stapo. :) glad you're okay now.

lauriel said:
Im sure! I probably would have given up had it been me!!

Giving up is NOT an option, I have so much weight to lose.
I am more annoyed with my GP for giving me Naproxen in the first place.
Ash well.

I am thinking of moving my weigh in day to Friday, as it was last Friday that I discovered the Naproxen episode (and stopped using them) I have a print out from Boots with my weight on.
So I will be able to compare the difference over a week (Lord knows how long it takes to get the Naproxen out of my system)
but wish me luck.
I will let you all know tomorrow how I get on (legs fingers and eyes crossed).

Start Weight 27 St 6Lbs
Lighter Life
Wk 1 -15.5lbs, wk 2 -5.7lbs, wk 3 -0.6lbs, wk 4 -10lbs, wk 5 -4lbs,
wk 6 -5lbs, wk 7 -3.5lbs, wk 8 -2.5lbs, wk 9 -6lbs, wk 10 -5.7lbs.
Total LL loss 53lbs.
Exante
Wk 11 -8lbs, wk 12 +1.5lbs (Xmas), wk 13 -6lbs, wk 14 -4.5lbs,
wk 15 +5lbs (NAPROXEN)

GOALS
Lose 1 stone Done
Lose 2 stone Done
Lose 3 stone Done
Lose 4 Stone Done
Lose 5 stone Done undone
Next target is to get into the 21’s.
http://www.minimins.com/exante/exante-diari...fe-exante.html (From Lighter Life to Exante)

Back