Nature's free food

Miss.S

Morning all!

I've just been out blackberrying and come back home with a huge bagful, as well as new knowledge of an eating apple tree just down the road! It sure beats paying for fruit at the supermarket or even the market! And best of all, it's all free/super free!

And it got me thinking - does anyone else forage for food or have any tips or tricks?
I learnt whilst blackberrying that a long stick with a hook on the end would come in mega handy! DIY with a broom handle and coat hanger methinks!!

Happy Sunday everyone!!
xx

We were going to go today but its raining and blowing a gale up here this morning!

We have picked a mega crop of blackberries this year and just picked elderberries yesterday. We have a freezer in the garage full of them.

Whilst we did indulge in one apple and blackberry crumble the rest will be turned into wine :drunk:

Yum! Wine sounds like a great idea, though I'd have no idea where to start! Mine are in the freezer, destined for breakfasts and crumbles!! I'd quite like to make jam to give as gifts but I imagine you need a lot of fruit for that!

In regards to jam a lb of plums made 3 jars of jam for me a little while ago, jam is easy though :)
We have blackberries growing up where we walk the dogs, so maybe ill give it ago :)

Snap! I made a stick with a hook on this year for the Blackberry hunt! Now I need to invent a way of catching them as when you pull the crop down, several berries drop & vanish,thinking of a tin with a "V" cutter in the lid.

Back