Never tell children you are dieting!

chomp

This is the last thread I will start today, I don't want to get eyerolled at for being over enthusiastic!

This is a transcript of a conversation with my 5 year old niece and 2 year old Nephew.

I may have taken liberty with my name.

Never tell children you are dieting.

Niece: "Do you want a crisp Aunty Chomp?"

Me: "No thank you, I'm on a diet!"

Niece: "Why are you on a diet?"

Me: "Because I want to lose some of my fat?"

Niece: "What will you do with the rest of it?"

Me:
"Well, okay I want to lose all my fat!"

Niece: "Are you too fat for pop too?" (asked while kind of proffering me a purple fruit shoot)

Me: "Yes, I can't drink that."

Niece: "Are you too fat for..." (Thinks) "Sprouts?"

Me:
"No I can eat those.."

(This goes on for some time, she learns I'm too fat for biscuits, chicken nuggets and wotsits but I'm okay with cucumber and sweetcorn).

Niece: "Are you to fat to do this?!" (she then does a 'hand stand' that small children do lifting one leg up)

Me:
"Sigh"

(Nephew walks in while Niece is in mid sentance and attempts to clumsily copy his sisters 'hand stand')

Nephew: "Aunty Chomp TOO FAT TOO FAT FATTY TOO FAT HAHAHA

(Cue exit, deep breathing and not knowing whether to laugh or cry hahahaha)

Last edited:
There was a woman in New Look the other day and her daughter pointed out a top to her and the woman responded with 'Not for me, I'm too fat'. She was a size 8. Max. Now I know she may have body issues which is fine but I felt SO sorry for her daughter as she's going to grow up with such a warped perception of bodies.

Yes that's not right - I am a size 18 and thinking about that makes me realise that next time I do talk to my niece about diets I may also mention that I am doing it to be healthy rather than just thin..

My niece comes to our slimming world meetings with my sister (more a childcare thing than anything else as my sister and her OH go to meetings with myself and my OH) and enjoys it, she cheers when her Mummy looses weight (she's a size 16) but I don't think she is getting a bad view of dieting as it's all healthy and topics discussed in Image therapy are generally lessons in eating HEALTHY so there's that lol.

Back