New and hoping I can get some help.

Mini~Mummy~2~B

Hi All, I am looking here at this forum as I am at the end of my tether really. My sister was diagnosed with early menopause last year after her and her hubby has been trying for a baby for a number of years. They needed an egg donor to undergo IVF and I offered to be a donor. The clinic advised I get my BMI down to 35 before we started. Last year I went from a BMI of 43 to 37. I had struggled and was still at 37bmi when we started treatment but the consultant and my sister were happy to try anyway.

I responded very well at the start and grew lots of lovely follicles, however it was a bit too well, as by the time we realised they weren’t growing very fast, the consultant didn’t want to up my dose as there was already so many follicles, and upping my meds would help them grow but also cause new ones to grow which we didn’t want. So the cycle was cancelled. I was so upset and my sister was although she kept saying it didn’t matter. The consultant reassured me that we can try again and that it’s always a bit of a shot in the dark as everyone responds differently to meds. He also advised maybe losing some more weight to increase our chances next time, and said to try and get my BMI as far down as possible by the back end of the year.

So this has brought me here. I lost my weight last year following mostly very low carb but I keep trying to re-start and just not getting very far with it. It makes me miserable and gives me headaches.

I have an appointment with the practise nurse next Monday and I am hoping that I might be able to get Orlistat from her to try and just get a little help. I know it isn’t a magic pill but I am hoping that just a little help that may make the weight come off a bit quicker just might be what I need to help motivate me and keep me on track. And hopefully be able to donate eggs to my sister so her and hubby can have that baby they want so desperately.

Does anyone know if a practise nurse can prescribe Orlistat? - Sorry for the huge first post by the way!! Lol.

Hi my practice nurse can issue xenical so maybe yours can, if you know about the fat rule while taking xenical it should hopefully keep you on the straight and narrow , what your doing for your sister is amazing by the way and good luck ps you have done well getting your bmi down

Thank you! Fingers crossed she will prescribe me it then if she is allowed to. I have tried slimming world for 3 weeks and lost 3lbs. I know it's still a loss but I ate exactly the same as my friend who is on Orlistat and we did the same workouts (and she's got about 1 stone less than me to lose) and she lost 11lbs! I know everyone is different and will lose differently, but she super hyped and happy with her weight loss and I am miserable and dissapointed and want to just eat a load of junk! Losing it a bit quicker if I can will definitely help motivate me.

As you say everyone is different if you look at some of the other posts on here you will see some people are still only losing a pound a week any loss is better than putting it on keep of the junk food you'll only regret it

Hiya, firstly I have to say that what you are doing for your sister is amazing and I'm sure it'll help you so much with motivation for your weight loss journey. At my Doc's the nurses can't do prescriptions for xenical, just doctors but it appears they are all set up differently. It's deffo worth getting hold of though as it has really sped up my losses and helped me in general to keep on the straight and narrow. Hope you get some and good luck :)

Hi, thanks for your replies everyone. My appointment is tonight so if the nurse can't do a prescription I will see about an appointment with the doctor. I'm hoping I would be suitable as my BMI is still around 37 and I am doing slimming world too so hopefully they will see I am already trying.

Pudders, if for whatever reason I can't get it from the doctors I might try Alli, I don't know if I could afford it to be honest, is it expensive?

Aww wishing you lots of luck. Not sure if the alli is expensive tbh...probably though! But as an alternative it may be worth it? But...fingers crossed your dr agrees to the xen for you. X

Thanks Pudders! Well the nurse took all my details, weight height etc. She said it's policy at our surgery that before they will prescribe Xenical you have to prove you can follow a diet and lose weight. So she said if I lost 5-6lbs and then made an appointment with the doctor then there would be no problem with me getting Xenical :)

It certainly has given me a kick up the backside to get going with my diet for the next couple of weeks, Hopefully I can do it in the next 2-3 weeks and then get Xenical.

Brilliant news! Well keep us updated on your progress. You CAN do this! ! :) any time you feel a slip up coming on, pretend you're on the tablets and fear the tango!! Lol.... I've only wanted to slip up the one time, posted here that I was tempted and the girls quickly turned it around for me! Lol.... good luck!

Back