New Resolve

yoyoer

Silver Member
I'm starting this diary and I hope I can keep it up. I usually start ok and then lose interest / resolve / willpower etc. Just in case anyone reads this my diary is likely to be rambling and repetitive!

I don't have a very exciting life at the moment although this year has been very busy with one thing or another.
I am retired so have plenty of time to do nothing in particular. I am mainly waiting to help out when my younger daughter goes into labour with her second child. I am enlisted to look after little 2 year old grandson Ruben. She is due tomorrow so could happen anytime.

'Dietwise' I have got into the habit of weighing every day, bad I know. However, I have found an app 'pesobook' which allows a daily weight input. The app then shows a graph, bmi, and weight record. It also shows how much I need to lose to be at goal / average for my height and conversely how many pounds I am from being obese. This has proved interesting, my weight swings up and down daily and I have learned not to get upset / excited or carried away with the readings. My focus stays on the weekly difference and to watch the graph getting nearer to goal.

My next task is to go through my recipes to plan my days meals. I usually have staple breakfast and lunch favourites which don't take too much preparation but I like variety for the evening meal. So today I have looked at meals with Salmon as the main ingredient, I have found a few, I don't want to go out to the shops so next I need to check the fridge and cupboards to see what is suitable. Time to sort my lunch (a form of tuna nicoise) and look at those cupboards. (to be continued)

Continued.
Just had melon, followed by Tuna nicoise (1 syn-olives)
Also found supper ingredients for Salmon with roasted red pepper and caper topping (SW recipe).
The rest of today was mainly spent chilling out or being.lazy depending on your outlook. The evening meal was very enjoyable and satisfying and now I am back to chilling out again and thinking about planning tomorrows meals.

Last edited:
Hi, I do the same. I'm ok with the diary while I'm on track, but find it hard to record the "off track" foods, so that's my target for now.
You seem to be doing good - I believe planning is the key, and really helps to keep you on track. I guess you don't eat meat?
You must be so excited, waiting for your new grandchild and Ruben will keep you busy - hope all goes well for your daughter.
Good luck with your goals.

Hi Tesam2931,
thank you, I do believe planning is the key and yes I can be so wise and so resolute when focused but then it can just blow away in the wind sending me back to square one. I do eat meat, yesterday I found fish more convenient as they were available in my cupboard/fridge without having to go out. I have planned chicken for this evening, then I will have to go shopping again. I suspect I will have to plan steak, mainly to keep my husband happy. I had tomatoes and mushrooms on toast for breakfast. At the moment I haven't planned lunch it may be something with pasta and vegetables to use up what needs eating from the fridge before reloading. Do keep in touch, it's good to have someone to relate to.

I found a serving of minestrone in the freezer so that took care of lunch. I am amazed how much food I can eat without syns. I will be counting calories as well in the myfitness pal app later to compare. I become a complete anorack at these times. I also have a fitbit which counts how many steps, calories, floors I do in a day and communicates with the fitnesspal site re food intake. At the end of the day it gives me an idea of how well I am balancing my food and energy.

Had a lovely afternoon with my daughter and grandson, then it was spoilt by two inconsiderate drivers on why home. Trying to wind down now, at least I haven't reached out for a doughnut, just an apple!

27/09/12
I didn't sleep very well last night so had a lie in this morning. I starting reading my latest Jeffery Archer book before I went to bed and, as usual, couldn't put it down. I went to bed around midnight but couldn't get to sleep so got up again. I eventually went back to bed around 3.30am when, thankfully, my kindle battery warning came on.
I have planned meals for the next 4 days so shall be going out to the supermarket later this morning. So much for planning, I forgot to get tins of tuna so have to have a rethink for lunch. After a search in my 100 extra easy days book I found inspiration. I would never have put baked sweet potato and baked beans together but I will have it again. Ticks a lot of boxes, 0 syns, lots of fibre and very filling. Next fish for supper.

Last edited:
28/09/12
Another wet day, oh joy! My main goal today apart from staying on plan is to do some housework. This is not one of my favourite occupations but more of a necessity. I wish I was a naturally house proud, I make resolutions every so often but they don't last long.
Ok so I have tidied up and vaccummed and whilst doing that I made a new resolution. Somewhere on one of the forums there was reference to using the October quest to stop smoking for 28 days idea to stay on plan for the same time in order to get into the habit and see results. I am doing that as well as the 100 days to Xmas quest. So I will attempt to tidy and vaccum/dust/clean as required everyday during October. I know this will not take long once the house is in order, the more I do the less I will need to do etc. I can then take as long as I like to plan my food, count syns (and calories, as I do myfitnesspal was well out if interest, to corrolate the differences/similarities) without feeling guilty.
My daughter called to say she thinks she has started labour so I went over to be with her until her husband came home. I am now home with my grandson and husband awaiting news, i do hate the wait.

Last edited:
29/09/12
Well after all the excitement of yesterday, it's all stop, so we are still waiting! 15.00h, Looks like it's not going to be today either unless it all happens very quickly. I am kept well occupied with 2yr old Ruben, there's no point in him going home just to come here again. Family coming around for a meal later, I have worked out the syns and should be within allowance.
21.00h. Well I was doing ok but the family have come around for a meal so I ended up having a few extra syns. I have plenty of spare syns as back up but I'm trying not to think in those terms because it could be a slippery slope. I should be more abstenious tomorrow.
10.30pm, baby grandaughter came into the world very quickly when she did eventually decide to be born. I am delighted, now i have two 'pidgeon pair' families from both my daughters- very happy! I'm afraid it meant the proseco came out to wet baby's head so I am well and truely over syns, but I'm happy and will make up for it over time.

Last edited:
I have got in the bad habit of weighing daily but entering it on an app ( pesobook) which makes it more interesting/scientific I was quite a bit heavier this morning so just goes to show what the short term effect of going off the rails has. Excitement of new baby celebration worth it though. I hope to settle down again for a few days, but then my brother and family are coming to stay overnight on Thursday and staying on track will be dodgy again. Weigh day is Wednesday so I have time to recover both times. Well I've had another dodgy day and well over syns. If I am really good for the next couple of days I may just at least break even. I think I recognise that I have to stay on track everyday n order to succeed

Last edited:
Back and determined to get back on track again. I spoke to a friend yesterday who claims to have lost her first stone, so that gives me the impetus to try harder.

02/10/12. Having a cleaning blitz today so hopefully using up lots of calories. I am certainly hot enough to be generating lots of energy. I am syn free so far today, it's weigh day tomorriw and I will be pleased if I simply the same as last week.

I have been busy cooking all day today as my brother and family are coming to stay for, thankfully, one night. I have tried to choose food that isn't too synful and included a chicken casserole which should be fine for me. I may have to dip into saved syns and I don't expect to be within syn limit sadly.

Have been cooking all day for a dinner party tonight but staying at 0 syns so far, sadly won't last

Congratulations on the new grand daughter xx

Thank you Rainbow! The social celebrations continue with a visit from my brother from Australia. Thankfully he is only staying one night. He is a big bloke and loves his food and booze, needless to say I over ran my syns by quite a lot so I have a lot of catching up to do. I will try to calculate them later but I'd rather not know. Weight loss is going to be a problem again this week but I'd rather enjoy myself when the necessity is there and try to be synless at other times. I will try to eat a lot of fruit and veg for the next few days. Not a good syn day again, but I have eaten plenty of good healthy food. Only problem is the left over desserts and wine to finish. I have given myself 4lbs to lose by the end of October and I will be very disappointed if I don't.

Last edited:
I looked after my grandson yesterday as my daughter was feeling exhausted and had a dose of baby blues with the after affect of a new baby. She is feeling much better today but I am now feeling tired so it's a lazy day for me now.

You enjoy a lazy day - they do us good once in a while. Where (roughly) in East Yorkshire are you? Not asking for your postal address lol just a general idea - Im not too far from Beverley xx

Hi Rainbow, I'm actually in Bath, I'm not sure if I made reference to Yorkshire. I must have been tired because I have just had an hour's sleep, couldn't keep my eyes open so went to bed, a rare event for me during the day!

Slept better last night but still don't feel lively, I must get myself doing something! I have talked about what to do about syns and have been tring to find an easy way through but I have decided there just isn't one and I will have to be smarter about usibg free food more effectivelt when I want to have more to drink.

Back