New to Atkins and confused

vixter

Hi all, I started Atkins last Monday and was doing well or so I thought. I had lost 7lbs by Thursday night and when temptation got in my way on Friday I broke the plan. I went right back on track on Saturday and when I weighed yesterday I surprised i still had a loss, I was another 3lb down so 10 total. However today I feel bloated and am up 3 again! I know 7 is good but I didn't expect to gain - is this a delayed reaction from the cheating? Also is sugar free jelly OK or was that an accidental cheat? Thanks a lot :)

Sugar free jelly is okay, but it can stall some people. It's a bit of a 'try it and see' thing. If you're having lots it's probably worth cutting back to a bowl or two per week.

You don't say how major the cheat was, but yes, weight gain doesn't always show up immediately. Your gain will be water weight, your body refilling its glycogen stores, and it's common to gain 3-5 pounds with only a day off the plan (I speak from experience).

Also, a cheat will take you out of ketosis and it can take 3+ days to get back in, during which time you won't be burning fat as fuel.

You've had a really good start, don't let it throw you. Getting back on track was the right thing to do and I'm sure you'll have lost those 3lbs in a few days. It's just not a very forgiving diet to little slips unfortunately!

Eta: it's also worth reading the thread called 'low carb and cheating' in the sticky section.

Thanks moonlight that's fine, I was prepared for stopping the ketosis as I had read about that and at least I will hopefully be back there soon. It was a fairly big cheat so I do deserve it. Will decrease my jelly eatings too I think. Every day is prob too much! Appreciate the advice!

Just a wee update, I am 2lbs down again today, so 9lbs total in 8 days. Is this ok? I know its a lot to lose but I think I expected to lose more. Of course I keep forgetting to factor in my wee fail on Friday haha. Am I likely to keep losing in my 2nd week? I must be getting into/close to ketosis soon...

More than fine, it's really really good. You've lost your water weight now so loss will slow down first as your body adjusts (some people find they stall in the second or third week) and then even out to an average 2lb per week (some lose a little more, some a little less).

I just realised I have been having cocktail sausages for lunch because my mum said they would be good - but they are 12g of carbs per 5 sausages. I have been eating probably between 7 and 10 a day :cry:I feel like a complete fool.

A lot of sausages have breadcrumbs or rusk in - always worth checking the label. Not to worry though, just cut them out from now on. I think marks and sparks, black farmer and Debbie and Andrew all do low carb sausages.

Sounds like you are doing really great - don't worry about the sausages, at least you know now and can cut them out moving forwards. Re, losses in the early stages, for me i generally lose around 7 to 10 pounds in week 1 and then 4 to 6 pounds in week 2. Then after that it settles into 1 to 2 pounds a week. Each time i have started a keto diet (i've done Atkins, Exante and Dukan) so far i have been above 17stone, i'm currently in the process of restarting and my beginning weight is 16stone5 - i'm 5 days in and down 5lbs, i think i'll only lose around 6lbs maybe 7lbs by weigh in on saturday, but still it's a nice boost to start off with and i have been a little naughty and eating things i know normally stall my loss (diet coke and KFC, oops) ;-).

Keep up the good work, you are doing just fine ;-).

Thanks very much, but am still concerned I'm going wrong, as I have somehow gained a pound since yesterday. So far I haven't lost anything in week 2 really, 9lb total since a week past Monday :cry:The sausages might have not helped...but didn't have any today. We will need to see how it goes in the next couple of days but maybe Atkins isn't the diet for me.

If you lost that well in the first week, then the diet works for you, no question. If you're weighing daily, stop and do it weekly - Atkins is famous for up and down daily fluctuations and they'll drive you nuts.

The second or third weeks of Atkins - after the high initial loss - are also often slow or stalled because your body needs to catch up to the initial shock of the bigger loss. And, 9lbs in the first week is one of the higher losses I've seen people have in the first week.

Why not post your food and drink diaries for a couple of days so people here can check you're on the right track? As you found out with the sausages, little mistakes can happen,

Back