new to low calorie ..any advice?

lady12345

Hi everyone!

so after trying countless diets my 198lb on a 5'2 frame was not going anywhere.

I have medical conditions such as a heart condition and pcos plus some food intolerances along the way.

I lived on fizzy drinks buckets of sugar crisps and chocolate (yes and I wondered why I was getting bigger)

soooo I have decided to go it alone after spending so much money on all the diet clubs that are out there.

I have gone for a 1000 calorie a day. most people have been shocked by this but I think I am doing really well with balance. lots of fish chicken and plenty of fruit and veg and at least 2 litres of water a day
before I started I decided to log my intake before I started the diet and shockingly 4 days out of the week I hit 3500 calories. so it was shock to the system.

I have now cut out all sugar refined carbs.. and on minimal dairy as to be honest I wasn't a dairy fan anyway.

ok so I felt rough for the first few days but I have to say 2 weeks in I feel great.. but I am getting so many tellings off for doing this diet. despite seeing a great difference in skin and sleeping. my mood has improved and more importantly without the sugar and caffeine I have major relief of my heart problems (I have a very fast resting heart rate)

I need to know from you guys is this kind of diet safe for at least the near future. I have already lost 8lb on my first week and due a 2 nd weigh in.

Some advice on maybe how to go about this plan. there are so many conflicting stories some say I should keep going for 3 months and then return to 1200. some sites are out right saying I need to stop this a return to high calories. ??

I don't want to damage my health, but I have to say this is very tempting with my new found energy!

Last edited:
hi lady,

I started back in August at 223 lbs. I was doing paleo to start with but found it too restrictive, started counting my calories and found I was happily getting by on less than 1000 calories per day.

The weight fell off me and I had no problems sticking with it.

The recommended minimum is 1200 but when you see how many people are doing vlcd's you do wonder if that's really necessary.

I would say that as long as you are eating enough to keep you full and physically well then what's the problem?... You know your own body.

One thing I would say though is that if you continue on this it can slow your metabolism down so if/when you come to increase your calories you will find you need less to lose/maintenan.

I would also check you are getting the right nutrients (if you use my fitness pal you can see a lot of them) and maybe consider topping up with a muli-vitamin.

Most importantly if you feel that your body is not getting the fuel it needs then you must up your calories.

You may find that cutting out carbs helps with symptoms of pcos too... It did for me :)

hi lady,

I started back in August at 223 lbs. I was doing paleo to start with but found it too restrictive, started counting my calories and found I was happily getting by on less than 1000 calories per day.

The weight fell off me and I had no problems sticking with it.

The recommended minimum is 1200 but when you see how many people are doing vlcd's you do wonder if that's really necessary.

I would say that as long as you are eating enough to keep you full and physically well then what's the problem?... You know your own body.

One thing I would say though is that if you continue on this it can slow your metabolism down so if/when you come to increase your calories you will find you need less to lose/maintenan.

I would also check you are getting the right nutrients (if you use my fitness pal you can see a lot of them) and maybe consider topping up with a muli-vitamin.

Most importantly if you feel that your body is not getting the fuel it needs then you must up your calories.

You may find that cutting out carbs helps with symptoms of pcos too... It did for me :)
Super advice...!!

try this

Enzymes might be helpful

Hi everyone!

so after trying countless diets my 198lb on a 5'2 frame was not going anywhere.

I have medical conditions such as a heart condition and pcos plus some food intolerances along the way.

I lived on fizzy drinks buckets of sugar crisps and chocolate (yes and I wondered why I was getting bigger)

soooo I have decided to go it alone after spending so much money on all the diet clubs that are out there.

I have gone for a 1000 calorie a day. most people have been shocked by this but I think I am doing really well with balance. lots of fish chicken and plenty of fruit and veg and at least 2 litres of water a day
before I started I decided to log my intake before I started the diet and shockingly 4 days out of the week I hit 3500 calories. so it was shock to the system.

I have now cut out all sugar refined carbs.. and on minimal dairy as to be honest I wasn't a dairy fan anyway.

ok so I felt rough for the first few days but I have to say 2 weeks in I feel great.. but I am getting so many tellings off for doing this diet. despite seeing a great difference in skin and sleeping. my mood has improved and more importantly without the sugar and caffeine I have major relief of my heart problems (I have a very fast resting heart rate)

I need to know from you guys is this kind of diet safe for at least the near future. I have already lost 8lb on my first week and due a 2 nd weigh in.

Some advice on maybe how to go about this plan. there are so many conflicting stories some say I should keep going for 3 months and then return to 1200. some sites are out right saying I need to stop this a return to high calories. ??

I don't want to damage my health, but I have to say this is very tempting with my new found energy!

I'd like to hear any positive feedback for this as well
it is what i have decided to stick to as well
I came off sugars on Boxing day, i've lost 23 lbs so far.

I only have fruit occasionally, and especially dried fruit, i have a little now and then but hardly ever.

make sure you eat oily fish for omega's, veg veg veg and i take supplements like wheatgrass or green powder, a multivit and either free range chicken or beef or a soya milk shake with vegan protein powder, (I like to think I'm at least making an effort to eat fewer animals)
Beetroot juice is packed with great stuff too - been craving it lately.

This is what i'm doing, i don't always stick to the calories but don't think i've been OVER what i need very often at all in 3 months.... (I struggled for a few weeks and plateaued, but still have stayed away from sugars, bread, pre prepared food etc

Yeah I agree in a way but changing up kcal every day is proven to be better for weight loss, so aiming to stick to 1200 and not making it all the time is better, because your body likes the unpredictability... and somehow you lose more weight for it. 1200 sometimes 1500+ other days
I agree with what you're saying though, nothing on earth can make me stick to 1200 every day without fail

I'm currently having 800 cals per day, 2 protein shakes and a 500 cal meal. For me this works, I'm taking vitamins daily along with fat burners and LOTS of water. I realise this isn't ideal long term but for me it's the only way I can stick to dieting. It's sort of a routine thing for me, I know what I'm going to eat everyday and it's quick and simple. I'm also doing a teatox along side this to help with the toilet side of things (sorry tmi) I realise this isn't ideal long term but once I reach my goal weight I plan on reducing to 1 shake after a work out and two meals per day. I think it's just finding what works for you, I have lots of energy, very rarely feel ill or dizzy but if I do I will have something like a low fat yoghurt or a piece of fruit.
I switched from cows milk to almond milk and my meals are either chicken, eggs or quorn with veg or salad

Hi,
I am doing a VLCD as it's the diet that works for me.

Recently I came across an article from Newcastle University where they'd taken people with type 2 diabetes and put them on 600 - 800 calories per day (meal replacement shakes and veggies) and within the first week the fat from their liver and pancreas had reduced significantly and their fasting blood sugar was back to normal. (I have quoted it in my diary on Shake That Weight). But before reading that I was worried about doing such low calories. I wondered if it was safe? Was I being silly and should I just do WW or SW as my friends suggested?

Such low calories goes against everything I'd been told and my friends, colleagues, family made it worse by telling me it was a fad diet, it was dangerous etc. Well I think, as my blood sugar was quite high before I began this diet, it might have saved me from type 2 diabetes!! :) I'd keep going Lady12345 and best of luck. Sounds like you are doing great! x

Back