New to SW - still getting to grips, advice appreciated!

rachy86

Hi everyone!!

I'm new to minimins and to SW! Joined a class last Wednesday and then found this place! Answered so many of my questions already :D

However, I'm struggling to think of ideas for lunch... before SW I would normally have sandwiches or beans on toast (have a toaster and microwave in work) so I'm looking for things like this that literally take 5mins or less to make in the morning - I wish I was more organised!! So far I'm thinking I could still have beans on toast and a sandwich twice a week using my HexB choice on EE, having fruit for breakfast on these days, and the days I have cereal for breakfast I could have ham & potato salad or pasta salad. Does that sound ok? I wish I had a better imagination with food as I can never think of exciting things to make!

I've been doing EE up till now as I'm still getting to grips with the plan etc, but I think I will try and do at least one green day a week, and possibly a red day - I'm not a big meat eater normally, but a lot of people on here have said how mixing things up really helps so am going to try and give it ago. Am thinking a red day on a saturday would be easiest for me as I can do some bacon for brunch, and something like burger and salad for tea (we normally have something a bit "naughty" on Saturday).

Sorry, I'm rambling now!!

As I said I'm still getting to grips with everything and am not sure if I am eating the right amount of foods/enough superfree food. I have put up a food diary if anyone would be kind enough to take a look :)

I have only had one day so far when I've had more than 10 syns...is this ok? I keep reading that I should be using them all but I honestly have struggled to eat more than I already am - is it better to try to use the syns in the meals or as snacks?

SO nervous for my first weigh in on Wednesday night!!

Any hints, tips, comments or advice would be much appreciated :D :D

Thanks guys,

Rachy86 xx

I'd start by simply re-reading the books a few times. Then go through a few receipies and try to work out where the syns in them are coming from. And if there's anything you don't understand/unsure of - ask - your consultant, or on forums like this.

With regards to how many syns - as many as you need (up to the 15 a day limit) - if you don't need them - don't eat them just because the plan says to have between 5 and 15. Don't though, deliberately cut them out - you won't (in the long term) be doing yourself any favours.

Ensure that you keep your food diary for now - it's useful for your consultant to look at if anything goes wrong in your first few weeks.

Other then that - sit back, relax and enjoy the journey. :)

(and don't be too nervous about weigh-in - no-one believes that they can eat what they can and still loose weight but it's a rare thing for someone to gain on their first week - but that's why food diaries are so important).

I'd start by simply re-reading the books a few times. Then go through a few receipies and try to work out where the syns in them are coming from. And if there's anything you don't understand/unsure of - ask - your consultant, or on forums like this.

With regards to how many syns - as many as you need (up to the 15 a day limit) - if you don't need them - don't eat them just because the plan says to have between 5 and 15. Don't though, deliberately cut them out - you won't (in the long term) be doing yourself any favours.

Ensure that you keep your food diary for now - it's useful for your consultant to look at if anything goes wrong in your first few weeks.

Other then that - sit back, relax and enjoy the journey.
:)

(and don't be too nervous about weigh-in - no-one believes that they can eat what they can and still loose weight but it's a rare thing for someone to gain on their first week - but that's why food diaries are so important).

Thanks IanH!!!

I just feel like I'm eating too much I guess so looking for some reassurance! I've been trying to only eat when I'm hungry and keep in mind that just because food is free doesn't mean I have to stuff my face (lol). Been trying have fruit at least 3 times a day too.
Still not convinced I will have lost weight mind lol.

Been taking my book and a diary sheet EVERYWHERE with me so I can flick through if I'm unsure of everything. First of all I just read the EE bits but I've gone through everything carefully again now so think I'm a bit more confident with the R/G days now too.

Have just been looking at recipes on here and on the SW website so just in the process of copying and pasting them to print out in work tomorrow so I have some good recipes on hand.

Love this site, full of such helpful people and looooooads of information!! :D

Try and plan you lunch the night before, Sw quiche & salad is easy to take to work. I also take leftovers from my evening meal for the next days lunch, chilli and rice etc. Jacket potatoes are good, if you cook one in the oven the evening before, just microwave to warm through. Great with tuna and salad. There is a thread on here "whats for lunch" or something similar, everyone posts what they had for lunch. You can get some great ideas. Also have a look at some of the food diaries for more ideas. Hope this helps and good luck with your wi x

I second prepping lunch the night before, I'm too disorganised is the mornings.

Try and plan you lunch the night before, Sw quiche & salad is easy to take to work. I also take leftovers from my evening meal for the next days lunch, chilli and rice etc. Jacket potatoes are good, if you cook one in the oven the evening before, just microwave to warm through. Great with tuna and salad. There is a thread on here "whats for lunch" or something similar, everyone posts what they had for lunch. You can get some great ideas. Also have a look at some of the food diaries for more ideas. Hope this helps and good luck with your wi x

Thanks JoC!!

I didn't think of making a jacket potato the night before!
thanks for that idea, I really fancied one in work the other day so will keep that up my sleeve for the days I need a pick me up (jackets are one of my fav foods!!)

Will deffo go in search of the lunch thread!! Thanks!!

I second prepping lunch the night before, I'm too disorganised is the mornings.

I'm too disorganised full stop! lol. Need to get organised though, if I am to succeed I think!!

If i don't prepare my lunch the night before i can't be bothered in the morning and end up buying something i shouldn't and end up with a gain.

If i don't prepare my lunch the night before i can't be bothered in the morning and end up buying something i shouldn't and end up with a gain.

Aww, well I'm quite lucky I live 3/4 mins drive from work so on the days I don't take lunch, its just as easy for me to pop home and make an ommlette or beans on toast as it is for me to drive to the shop to buy a sandwich! Lucky in that respect :)

I make a big batch of Superfree soup every Sunday and then bring a portion of that into work everyday for lunch (really useful for getting all that superfree in!! :D )

Someone else mentioned the SW quiche (beat up a couple of eggs, mix in loads of veg and a tub of free cottage cheese, put in a flan dish, top with HeA cheese and bake until ready) - this is also a great idea for lunch, served with a salad and some homemade free potato salad :D

I would also have toasties (we have a toastie maker in work) but if not, you can get toastie pockets for £1 in Poundland, just put your sandwich in there, stick in toaster, and it only takes a couple of minutes.

I cook for myself only, so I usually have leftovers, so where possible I take some of last night's dinner in with me, such as chili con carne, spaghetti bolognese etc.

All you need is a kettle, microwave and toaster to make most things, so there are loads of possibilities :D

I make a big batch of Superfree soup every Sunday and then bring a portion of that into work everyday for lunch (really useful for getting all that superfree in!! :D )

Someone else mentioned the SW quiche (beat up a couple of eggs, mix in loads of veg and a tub of free cottage cheese, put in a flan dish, top with HeA cheese and bake until ready) - this is also a great idea for lunch, served with a salad and some homemade free potato salad :D

I would also have toasties (we have a toastie maker in work) but if not, you can get toastie pockets for £1 in Poundland, just put your sandwich in there, stick in toaster, and it only takes a couple of minutes.

I cook for myself only, so I usually have leftovers, so where possible I take some of last night's dinner in with me, such as chili con carne, spaghetti bolognese etc.

All you need is a kettle, microwave and toaster to make most things, so there are loads of possibilities :D

Ooh great ideas... I will tootle off to find the superfree soup now as although I'm not a great soup fan I don't mind them now and then and they are handy for the days when I get up late.

Will check out the toastie bags! Could then make cheese, ham and beans on toast technically! Why don't I think of these things?!! lol.

I'm having a egg mayo sarnie tomorrow as I've been craving one all weekend...use nimble bread as my HexB and low fat mayo(need to check the syns). So thinking I could open it up in work and eat more as egg on toast to add in some salad as superfree....

Deffo need to be a lot more organised. I know we are having ham and mash with beans (or parsley sauce for the OH) for tea tomorrow as have a yummy gamon joint off my mum from M&S to use up...its a honey roast one though so need to check the syns to see if its worth actually adding the honey or not!

Thanks for all the ideas guys. Though there;s loads of threads on here, I almost feel like there is TOO much information to look through to find what you are looking for lol.

Thanks IanH!!!

I just feel like I'm eating too much I guess so looking for some reassurance! I've been trying to only eat when I'm hungry and keep in mind that just because food is free doesn't mean I have to stuff my face (lol). Been trying have fruit at least 3 times a day too.
Still not convinced I will have lost weight mind lol.

Firstly - well done on trying to only eat when hungry - that is a major milestone for a lot of people. (myself included).

Secondly - you're right - just because it's free it's not an excuse to "stuff your face" - "in moderation" are the key words.

And lastly - well - i ate and ate and ate my first week - my plates were overflowing, and I thought I'd be lucky to manage a few pounds that first week. (if any at all). I was pleasantly surprised (shocked may actually be the word for it). As are most people in their first week.

Firstly - well done on trying to only eat when hungry - that is a major milestone for a lot of people. (myself included).

Secondly - you're right - just because it's free it's not an excuse to "stuff your face" - "in moderation" are the key words.

And lastly - well - i ate and ate and ate my first week - my plates were overflowing, and I thought I'd be lucky to manage a few pounds that first week. (if any at all). I was pleasantly surprised (shocked may actually be the word for it). As are most people in their first week.

Thanks, its nice to know that I'm not the only one feeling like they could eat and eat and eat lol.

Having a green day today as I don't feel like any meat and OH is out so no pressure from him to have some man food in our meal lol.

Can I ask how much you lost in your first week?

Love it if I have leftovers for lunch (but other half doesn't believe in left-overs, so I have to nab them quik before they become 2nd helpings.

I often have soup - have just made a spicy butternut squash and sweet potato one and waiting for it to cool. Will have that and lots of fruit to keep me going.

Syn free tinned stuff is handy too - I used to buy the Sainsbury's own vegetable ravioli. Asda chick pea dahl is good too. Great with some salad.

Love it if I have leftovers for lunch (but other half doesn't believe in left-overs, so I have to nab them quik before they become 2nd helpings.

I often have soup - have just made a spicy butternut squash and sweet potato one and waiting for it to cool. Will have that and lots of fruit to keep me going.

Syn free tinned stuff is handy too - I used to buy the Sainsbury's own vegetable ravioli. Asda chick pea dahl is good too. Great with some salad.

Yep, not often leftovers in this house either unless I've specifically made enough to feed four and then will end up with one portion left over- even if he doesn't eat it all he always infects food with seasoning and ketchup!grr. lol.

OOh ravioli, now that sounds nice! Will look more into that thanks!! Liking the tinned stuff as I can keep emergency rations in work lol.

Going to make a salad tomorrow - got a gammon joint to cook, so going to have that with new potatoes, cucumber and some italian style salad I picked up from lidl. Will probs grate in some carrot as well to try and up the veg.
Need to invest in some salad dressing - any suggestions anyone?

Tesco tinned Ravioli is free, ordinary and veggie varieties

Awesome,thanks! Will pick some up next time I'm passing - I tend to shop at Morrisons/Lidls as they are closest. (and next to each other, conveniently!)

Can I ask how much you lost in your first week?

Please remember that when i started i was HUGE - over 27.5stone. I also changed from a lifestyle of 4/5 takeaways a week and at least £5 of "crap" a day - if it was bad for you - i probably ate it on a regular basis. So little surprise that in my first week I lost a stone.

Back