Newbie advice please

Kiika

Hello everyone!

I am new to Atkins and I attempted to start it yesterday. I have the book at home, and cant find it, but have also not read it for years. So I know the basics (or what they were when that book was new) but its all from memory at the moment.

I will be buying the new release book soon, but I'm still trying to figure out which one that is (the all are called "new" on their covers) so if anyone knows the date that the latest release was published I would be grateful if you could tell me.

So I started yesterday but I was hoping that one of you experts could look at what I ate/drank and tell me if there is anything I should not have eaten or drank or something I should have less of?

2 eggs scrambled with a dash of cream and a tsp butter
2 rashers of smoked bacon
Coffee with 2tsp granulated sweener & a dash of cream (I know now that granulated sweeners are bad, so I'm switching to tabs)

2 cups of tea with semi skimmed milk (pretty sure that milk is a no-no, could someone please confirm?)

2 egg omelette with 2 rashers of smoked bacon, 1/4 courgette and a small handful of beansprouts fried in olive oil

1 brazil nut, 2 almonds, 1 hazelnut (again, I read somewhere last night that nuts are now not allowed, but I had already eaten them by then)

3 babybel mini lights (throughout the day)

Lamb leg steak and a cup of mixed lettuce with a drizzle of kraft light balsalmic dressing (less than 1.5 carbs per tbsp)
Orange sugar free jelly and 2 tbsp whipped cream (elmlea whipping cream)

decaff coffee with 2 gs and dash of cream & a slice of salami & a cheese string

Any advice on what I ate yesterday would be great, should I cut anything out? Change anything? also, which is the newest version of the book please?

Thanks in advance! :)

Kiika said:
Hello everyone!

So I started yesterday but I was hoping that one of you experts could look at what I ate/drank and tell me if there is anything I should not have eaten or drank or something I should have less of?

2 eggs scrambled with a dash of cream and a tsp butter
2 rashers of smoked bacon
Coffee with 2tsp granulated sweener & a dash of cream (I know now that granulated sweeners are bad, so I'm switching to tabs)

2 cups of tea with semi skimmed milk (pretty sure that milk is a no-no, could someone please confirm?)

2 egg omelette with 2 rashers of smoked bacon, 1/4 courgette and a small handful of beansprouts fried in olive oil

1 brazil nut, 2 almonds, 1 hazelnut (again, I read somewhere last night that nuts are now not allowed, but I had already eaten them by then)

3 babybel mini lights (throughout the day)

Lamb leg steak and a cup of mixed lettuce with a drizzle of kraft light balsalmic dressing (less than 1.5 carbs per tbsp)
Orange sugar free jelly and 2 tbsp whipped cream (elmlea whipping cream)

decaff coffee with 2 gs and dash of cream & a slice of salami & a cheese string

Thanks in advance! :)

No idea on the newest version of the book but the plan is roughly the same in all recent ones - you just need to ignore whatever they say about net carbs (we dont do net carbs in the uk) and Atkins bars and remember the new books are approved by a corporation, not dr Atkins himself.

Nuts aren't an induction food - save them for at least after the first two weeks and be careful to measure the carbs in the amount you have.

Milk is carby and should also be avoided - try a small amount of cream or alpro unsweetened soya milk to whiten drinks.

Your menu mostly looks fine but you might get bored quick with eggs and bacon twice a day! There's also a lot of processed meat in there - some is okay but if you swap some of the bacon and salami for chicken, other fresh cuts of pork and beef, or seafood, then you'll have a better variety. Atkins ideally is about eating fresh, whole foods. Have a look through people's diaries for some inspiration.

If you're unsure on the carb count for something then try using a website/phone app called my fitness pal - you can input your days menus there and it tells you calories, carbs, fat and protein count. You're aiming for at least 65 percent of your daily calories coming from fat, 30 percent from protein and 5 percent from carbs. Mfp will also show these ratios for you and you can adjust your target ratios on their website. Just ignore their calorie advice!

That's excellent! Thank you so much. I didn't even think of the whole processed meat side of things! I've got salami salad for lunch today but chicken & veg for tea so only the one bit of naughty meat :) hehe but ill cut that out from tomorrow and i just had plain scrambled eggs for brekky! No milk for me today then, just plenty of water. And no more nuts, for a while anyway.

I will definitely get fed up of eggs every day so I'll check out the diaries for different breakfast ideas.

If I need a new book I shall look for the latest one with the author Dr Atkins then, I assume then that its his original plan not one adjusted and approved by someone else. Thanks! x

Nothing wrong with the processed meat as long as its not all you're having. Salami cooked under the grill goes wonderfully crisp - like giant frazzles!

I bumped a few threads up which you may Aldo find useful. There's also a great sticky 'so you're thinking of starting Atkins' in the stickies section.

Back