Newbie - And she's got questions!

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Spitfirex, 10 April 2011 Social URL.

1. Spitfirex

Spitfirex Full Member

Start Weight:
    Current Weight:
    Goal Weight:
    Just through with reading the rules and welcome posts, and thought I'd put up a thread of my own.
    My name is Rachel, I'm 22, a sales assistant, a virgo, ... Not much else to tell.
    I've always been, ahem, a larger lady and quite comfortable with that. However, over the last year or so, I have gained quite a bit of weight and not had the motivation to do anything about it.
    But enough is enough!
    I've started, and quickly given up on, a few diets since the new year began. But now I've found one I can stick too. I would, ideally, like to lose far more than I have put as my target weight, but this is just a goal for the date I've also put. I will update if I achieve it in the time frame! :)
    Anyway. I said I had questions. And I hope someone can give me a conclusive answer! I've done my googling - I even texted my Mum (and if your Mum can't solve your problem, you know you're in real trouble!) - but the information just isn't out there.
    Do electric scales work on carpet!!?
    I've had two sets that have given me significantly different weights with every use, even if they have been 30minutes apart. (Today, I apparently lost 1 & 1/4 lbs in the hour I spent sitting on the bed, reading.)
    Do I need to find a flat, hard surface to put them on? Because I bought a set that came with specifically designed "carpet feet" to combat this problem. Or am I just buying rubbish scales? ):
    My other question is, is a minimum of 2-3 lbs per week a do-able amount when first starting a diet? I've heard that the first few weeks tend to go pretty slowly.
    Anyway, thanks! And, hello.
    Last edited: 10 April 2011
  2. Avatar Matched Content

3. ***Marie***

***Marie*** Member

Start Weight:
    Current Weight:
    Goal Weight:
    I don't think they work as well on carpet.. Try and use on hard floor and keep them in the same place... I had a pair that if I moved around I would weigh less!! Lol
  4. Emmaline

Emmaline Hippety Hop!

Start Weight:
    Current Weight:
    Goal Weight:
    calorie counting and low carbs
    Hi Rachel, Welcome to the forum and well done in getting your diary up and running!
    The scales problem is as you suspect - has to be on a hard flooring. I have resolved this issue by putting a small board on the carpet with the scales on that. Get a good thick carpet tile for that, I'm sure it would suffice.

2-3lbs is doable according to how much you have to lose. Very overweight people will lose much quicker in the first few weeks and sometimes even more than that depending on age, whether taking meds and any other health type problems.

All the very best to you...:)
  5. IreneH

IreneH Gold Member

Hi and welcome. I have my scales on my tiled bathroom floor. But if you are unsure about how reliable yours are why not go to Boots every week and use their scales.

Irene xx
Popular Forums
  1. is a weight loss support community helping each other on their weight loss journey. We have a multitude of forums, from Slimming World and Exante, to Success Stories. Click the logo at the top right to return to the forum home page at any time.