Newbie considering switching from SW to VLCD xx Help and Advice Purlease xxx

MidLifeCrisis

Hi All x :):):)

I've been on SW since the New Year and have gone from 12st 9lb to 11st 12lb. I'm happy with SW for the social aspect, the group ladies are lovely BUT ... We go on holiday to Mexico
:bliss:in 6 weeks and I'm too far away from my target of 9st 7lb to lose 1lb a week !!! I did try VLCD All About W8 a couple of years ago but didn't last a week lol.
I'm in a different mind place now, my depression and anxiety are in control and I am more determined. I lost 5lb last week by doing Fast Forward (SW's version of a low cal quick fix, that can only be done under the consultants guidance and isnt anywhere as near as low as a VLCD), but this week lost half a pound, so ready to move on.
I've been researching the different types all day and think I am set on Slim and Save, seems cheaper than All about W8?!
Just waiting for some money on Wednesday and think I'm going to try the S&S Trial pack linked on this forum. I just have a couple of questions if someone could enlighten me, as you all seem so knowledgeable and friendly x
Firstly, I'm not a lush lol, but I do lie the odd Gin and Slim. Does anyone on VLCD ever have the odd tipple, and if so how much does it impact on your loss??
and secondly, I've got used to going to the gym and doing some classes and have read there is a little confusion/conflict with VLC
D's and exercise. Can anyone enlighten me please?
Either way I'm going to switch this week and look forward to getting to know you all. I'm a mum to 3 and work from home, running the family business so I'm on the laptop most of the day (and night lol) xx
Chelle x

Alcohol is strictly off limits on a VLCD it can make you very very ill

You have to watch the exercise you do particularly the first few weeks remember you're only having 550 kcals a day :). It won't speed losses up but it's normally around 20 mins gentle exercise thats recommended

I'm relatively new to VLCD, so can't really answer your questions about alcohol or exercise... but just wanted to add my thoughts on the mindset bit. I never never never ever wanted to do a VLCD before, but that's probably more due to ignorance than anything else and buying into the hype that they aren't healthy and that you put the weight straight back on. Which I now know is soooo not true! I've been on it for five weeks so far, and I've lost 29lbs... I couldn't be happier! The first week was hard, but once I got over that initial hurdle it's been much much easier, and seeing the numbers come off so fast certainly spurs you on to stay on track. Good luck! I'm totally jealous about Mexico, it's high on my list of places to visit!!

Ooooo - I love Mexico - enjoy! Even on a VLCD I doubt that you will be at goal weight in 6 weeks time. The normal weight loss is about a stone a month - you might lose a little more in the first month. That will still get you a lot closer though!

As starlight has already said it is probably best to cut down on the exercise. For the first few weeks I would do very little and then slowly build up to where you feel comfortable. I also agree with her that I would avoid alcohol - it is dangerous whilst on a VLCD and it won't help you to achieve your goal.

There are all kinds of things you need to do on a VLCD which wouldn't matter on another diet - such as not having camomile tea or diet coke as they'll knock you out of ketosis - even though they don't contain any calories. I would suggest that you go to the Slim and Save forum and read all of the stickies on there - there's some really good information. Untikl you understand ketosis I would suggest that you stick to exactly what the SnS diet sheet (comes with the packs) tells you to do - nothing else. Then as you get to learn more you may decide to adjust a little - your choice.

Congratulations on your losses already. You need to refeed when you come off a vlcd or you can put weight on very fast. So given the timescale, if you do not intend continuing the vlcd when you are away, maybe you should look at Dukan - as you get some fast losses and you could continue it while away.
Good luck with whatever you choose aqnd keep posting.

Thanks all xx I did Atkins 8 years ago and lost 3 stone after the birth of my eldest, I was immensly strict with it for 10 months; is the ketosis exactly the same with VLCD? If it is Ill understand it x When in keto with Atkins my keto wasnt affected with either coffee or coke, so I was quite lucky as not so much out of bounds, I do lie my coke and coffee lol x Hopefully it will be the same, but obviously it is different, and I am different not to mention older, so time will tell lol x Think Ill stick to yoga once a week and gently yoga at home through the week, that way if I feel cr@p I can stop without copping out mid class lol x
Look forward to getting to know you all xx
Thanks for the advice peeps xx
Chelle x

Ketosis is the same - but there may be some subtle differences I don't know about as I haven't done Atkins. Coffee is allowed on SnS anyway - so that's good news!

Hiya, Chelle. Some people can't tolerate diet drinks as their bodies think it's sugar and they get an insulin response. So it's not a great thing to do - but if it works for you, then it's better to be at your true weight so will be Ok.

Very wise not to do lots of exercise on a vlcd - that can stall you, as yr body needs more calories and thinks its in starvation.

Have fun!

Ahhhh thats answered the exercise question for me. Need some sort of scientific explanation lol. was thinking well if I eat 600 and work off 600 then Ill use my stores....but it doesnt work like that does it! lol. Well I DID have a full head blond on last week lol xx (its true lol).
always hated excercise but just starting to enjoy it, oh well time to up it in future. Think Ill get some gentle yoga moves off the tinternet to help mind focus during the first week when Im eating the sofa lol x
Got my Grandads funeral tomorrow :( so will be starting Friday, going out for a final meal Thursday night alone with hubby! Its been 18 months since we last had a night alone and had a distressing few months with Grandad terminally ill and helping the kids through it etc. Ex husbands dont stop being pains in the bum just cos you are having a rough time either lol, so need to have a nice night x Then its off!!!!!!!! Really looking forward to it now, new start. Bought a Gold Lipsy Bikini in a 12 to spur me on - gnna hang it up in the bedroom lol x
C x

Chelle - I'm so sorry for your loss - and glad you were there for your grandfather. I hope it goes OK on Thursday.

If you are already doing loads of exercise then try continuing. You may need more salt - but if you get tired or faint or don't loose then you'll know it's time for stretching etc. Others are wiser than me at this stuff so ask teh question in the forum for the vlcd diet you are going to follow.

Ali

Thanks Ali xx They way everyone is on here makes me feel better about losing the class element with SWorld. Thanks for the thoughts. Its much appreciated xx
Chelle xxx

Btw, Starlight is right about the dangers of alcohol on a vlcd. I have regular bloodtests on Alizonne and I can see from the liver enzymes that the liver is working hard to eliminate the fat and waste. So don't do it. If you want to get fit, just decide you will not have alcohol for the months it takes to get to goal. Then you can reintroduce it as calories in yoiur maintenance plan. I'll be drinking less as it's empty calories and I think I'll prefer to 'spend' my calories on something else.

Ali

So sorry for your loss Chelle.
My LL counsellor said that exercising would not make any difference to weight loss, but people on here have posted otherwise and I guess that's from experience.
I am continuing to exercise but watch that I monitor how I'm feeling if doing anything too strenuous( for me).
Have you started yet?
I think Ali Gal is sensible about packs when away as either Atkins or Dukan is more easily doable when away. Perhaps have a month on VLCD, and then move onto Atkins or Dukan until you come back and then you could restart S n S then.
Also I think that 10 months to lose 3 stone is a bit slow for Atkins so perhaps the coke did affect your fat burning without you knowing. As you so want tl lose as quickly as possible now before Holiday perhaps leave it out until after and then try if you must.
Good luck with whatever you have chosen to do and let us know how it goes.

Hi Rose, xx Thanks for the post. Think I worded the Atkins incorrectly, I wasnt on weight loss for 10 months, I went into maintenence, as Id got down to 9stone (ah the days lol). I havent exercised, one to be safe and 2 to behonest up to today Ive felt too tired and week. Day 5 today and Im feeling a little better thank god lol xx Im going to do S&S to hols then NOTHING but common sense for hols, its costing too much for me to not enjoy the food lol xxx Then I'll prob pop back on after hols x
Thanks for the advice l,ove x everyone on here is fab x

Hi MLC, sounds like you've thought this through and common sense would be useful if you make sure you use it rather than letting rebellious child take over and eating completely over top just because that food "would be nice"
Watching carb intake can really help and still food can be enjoyable.
Well done on getting to day 5. When are you going to WI?

Back