NEWBIE HELLO!

cupcake47

Hello Everyone i am so glad i have found this site i need some help as a bit dispondent. Like so many of you on here i have always struggled with my weight (i just love food and big portions). I finally managed to persuade my GP to give me Orlistat which I started 2 weeks ago. I did alot of reading on this site and was worried about the side effects but more importantly was and still are very confused as to what i can/cannot eat.
In the first week i lost 4lbs which i think was more luck than judgement as i am a takeaway lover but gave them up for almost a whole week and ate weetabix for breakfast, salad roll with ham or crab sticks for lunch and a love fat meal for tea, but i did give in to cod (from fish shop) but had jacked potato and mushy peas instead of chips is this ok? Now on week 2 i dont seem to be doing so well and have become very upset and down (put on 2lbs last week and i really need a boost of encouragement and meal ideas. When this happens I give u easily and say right lets have a takeaway and regret it afterwards.

I am going to list a day to day diary in the hope that someone can have a look and give me feedback and it will also keep me on the straight and narrow.
Breakfast - 2 weetabix, skimmed milk
mid morning - 1 Bananna

Drinks -Coffee/Tea with skimmed milk and sweetener
No Added Sugar Squash
Asda/Tesco No Added Sugar Fizzy Drinks

Lunch - 1 Bagel or wholemeal roll with Dairylea Light Cheese or ham, tomato, cucumber
1 Apple

Tea- Jacket Potato, Beans, Chicken in Breadcrumbs, little branston pickle

I dont do any exercise as i have a bad knee but hopefully after i lose a stone this will enable me to get more motivated. I am still hungry now to be honest am i eating enough/too much/not enough fat/too much fat? After reading many posts i have been left confused as to whats right or wrong in terms of food so need some help pleaseeeee.

Does it make a difference to your calorie intake if you do not exercise for example should i be eating less? Having three stones to lose i thought the first half a stone would come off easy but it doesnt seem to be happening that way. I have suffered constipation so am trying to drink 4 pints of squash a day and i go once a day but havent had any bad experiences as others have mentioned so wondering if its working, as we even had an indian last night korma, rice, onion bhajis, naan and didnt even have dreaded tango episode. Any help on my long journey would be greatly appreciated.

Hi
Keep going it will work. You're lucky to actually have tablets at the minute.
I need a knee replacement so can't exercise much but the more I lose the more I can do. I've lost 5 stone so far.
I recently discovered that for every pound of weight you lose . You take 4 pounds of pressure of your knees so it's worth persevering.
I eat fish and mushy peas from the chip shop I just don't eat the batter. It's actually quite good for you :) as the fish is steamed inside the batter so as long as you leave the batter you're eating a good meal.

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

Hi & welcome, how about joining www.myfitnesspal.com which is a free calorie counting app & diary, it'll work out how many cals you should be eating & if you add some of us a lot of us have open diaries so you can see what we eat although I will say I don't take xen any longer so eat slightly higher fat than you'd probably get away with on xen. My username on mfp is same as on here if you wanna add me.

The basic rules are no foods that have more than 5g fat per 100g & no more than 15g fat per meal made us of the 5g foods.... If you stick with that you should be fine. I stuck with it & no problems in the 4 months I took them......

Good Luck with your journey xx

Hi welcome, well done on starting :)

Constipation is a common prob some people got with these tablets, I did and after talking to my cousin who has this issue (without taking the tablets) she drunks Aloe Vera juice (cranberry flavour) 25ml 2x a day - it helps with bloating and constipation.. I also take a fibre supplement Psyllium husks which helps too :) http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psyllium_seed_husks

I no longer have any tablets and struggle daily with my food choices.. It is hard to change how you live your life!

Small changes to your cooking methods really help
Start using fry light spray instead of oil of butter to cook with, or even water Can be used to cook onions to start a dish..

If you have to use a spread use a low fat version and measure how much your having- you will be surprised at how much you use.. And the cals in it (I was)

Change your bread to a wholemeal/ granary loaf for added fibre and is more filling than white bread - its harder to eat 6 slices of soya Vogel bread than 6 slices white bread..

Change your snack habits, choose low fat items with 5g or less total fat per 100g there are loads of snacks that are in this range- just watch the sugar content.. (evil sugar ) Ww do yummy yogurts, cakes/ slices, ready meals - fresh fruit is great- try to eat 3 portions a day (if you can)

If your still hungry after lunch or dinner - add more salad and veggies

fill 1/2 your plate with veg/ salad 1/4 carb and 1/4 LEAN protein

Most suppermarkets do Extra lean beef mince (sainsbury) lean diced meat, remove all visible fat and skin off. Chicken/ lamb/ beef etc., fish is good for you just cook with out oil/ butter etc

Have a roast dinner, just no added fats use fry light on your roasts.. If you want chips - McCain oven chips are within rules, aunt Bessie roast potatoes too

Just read the backs of the packets and you will be fine!!

Get your head in the right place and you will succeed :)

What a lot I had to say :) ... I struggle but am here for support.. We all are! Good luck!

Last edited:
Thankyou

Thank you very much for your words of advice, I have since joined myfitnesspal which has really helped me alot. At least now i know how many calories to have a day and it keeps me on the straight and narrow with fat content so we will see how it goes. My GP gave me a months supply but i have to go back soon to get weighed so hopefully will have some good news to report otherwise im scared he wont allow me to keep on them, so fingers crossed. Would like to show my journey in weight loss but not sure how to do this can you help?? sorry for sounding so stupid but i will get the hang of it promise xx:eek:

Hi welcome, well done on starting :)

Constipation is a common prob some people got with these tablets, I did and after talking to my cousin who has this issue (without taking the tablets) she drunks Aloe Vera juice (cranberry flavour) 25ml 2x a day - it helps with bloating and constipation.. I also take a fibre supplement Psyllium husks which helps too :) Psyllium seed husks - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I no longer have any tablets and struggle daily with my food choices.. It is hard to change how you live your life!

Small changes to your cooking methods really help
Start using fry light spray instead of oil of butter to cook with, or even water Can be used to cook onions to start a dish..

If you have to use a spread use a low fat version and measure how much your having- you will be surprised at how much you use.. And the cals in it (I was)

Change your bread to a wholemeal/ granary loaf for added fibre and is more filling than white bread - its harder to eat 6 slices of soya Vogel bread than 6 slices white bread..

Change your snack habits, choose low fat items with 5g or less total fat per 100g there are loads of snacks that are in this range- just watch the sugar content.. (evil sugar ) Ww do yummy yogurts, cakes/ slices, ready meals - fresh fruit is great- try to eat 3 portions a day (if you can)

If your still hungry after lunch or dinner - add more salad and veggies

fill 1/2 your plate with veg/ salad 1/4 carb and 1/4 LEAN protein

Most suppermarkets do Extra lean beef mince (sainsbury) lean diced meat, remove all visible fat and skin off. Chicken/ lamb/ beef etc., fish is good for you just cook with out oil/ butter etc

Have a roast dinner, just no added fats use fry light on your roasts.. If you want chips - McCain oven chips are within rules, aunt Bessie roast potatoes too

Just read the backs of the packets and you will be fine!!

Get your head in the right place and you will succeed :)

What a lot I had to say :) ... I struggle but am here for support.. We all are! Good luck!

OMG i've been to the Dr's today for my two and a half week weigh in and i lost 3kgs. Am on top of the world would like to say thank you for steering me in the right direction (my fitness pal) it has been great and obviously working. xx:thankyou:

cupcake47 said:
OMG i've been to the Dr's today for my two and a half week weigh in and i lost 3kgs. Am on top of the world would like to say thank you for steering me in the right direction (my fitness pal) it has been great and obviously working. xx:thankyou:

That's absolutely brilliant!!!! Bet your Dr was thrilled with you x

That's absolutely fab!! Well done you :)

Thank you guys im sooooooo pleased just got to keep focused, here's to the next 3kgs:happy036:
Hope you all have a good weekend xxx Now going to try and fill ou

Hi everyone for anyone who loves the ww sausages they are on offer at Asda for £2.00. I just tried them tonight for tea and they were soo scrummy im getting some more :stickdance:.

Back