Newbie low carb - help

Hi all I'm in my second week and disappointed as I stayed the same

Today I ate

Breakfast -porridge
Snack - alpen bar
Lunch - bagel and ham
Tea - chicken Korma and broccoli

I have a personal trainer who tells me what's good to eat. Am I on the right track for low carb high protein diet?? X x

What diet are you on? Personal trainers have a bit of a protein fetish. They know carbs aren't good but can't seem to get their heads around high fat diets which is what low carb should really be. If you're cutting carbs but aren't doing low carb then that looks reasonable but if you want true low carb then you need to ditch the porridge, alpen bar, bagel and maybe the korma sauce. There's probably 80-100g of carbs there and on Atkins we have 20g for the first two weeks (at least).

Try increasing the fat and protein. Bacon and eggs for breakfast will do much more good than porridge for weight loss! If your trainer fights you on that get him/her to read Why We Get Fat by Gary Taubes.

Good luck!

I think if I ate that I'd be starving due to no ketosis. At least being truely low carb there are things we can eat whenever we're hungry n don't need to really worry about.

Agree with above - this would make me soooo hungry (plus of course not lose weight). Suggest you follow a low carb plan that lays out the dos and donts - easier to avoid all the hidden (and obvoius!) sugars

Kat1e said:
Agree with above - this would make me soooo hungry (plus of course not lose weight). Suggest you follow a low carb plan that lays out the dos and donts - easier to avoid all the hidden (and obvoius!) sugars

Hi what low carb diets are there. I need so much help lol x

Well on this board we will recommend atkins which is a low carb, high fat and moderate protein diet. The alternative which also has lots of support on minimins is dukan which is low carb, low fat, high protein. Apart from those they are loads of others - just google. Key is to find one that suits you

Good luck

Hi what low carb diets are there. I need so much help lol x

Atkins. Please do Atkins! He was a man who stood up to serious character assassinations, medical ridicule, the sugar industry, the grain industry, the government and many more just to get the truth out there. Without him we'd probably be 30 years behind on what we know now. The Atkins book explains why it works, why everything nutritionists tell us is rubbish and why low carb will help your health as well as your weight.

Not only that but you can get advice from all of us...what more could you possibly want? ;)

Look at the pics in Jim's sig for what this diet can do. Join us!

A few suggestions:

Today I ate

Breakfast -porridge - No good. Replace with fried egg and bacon
Snack - alpen bar - No good. Replace with a pepperami, sugar free jelly or piece of cheese
Lunch - bagel and ham - Bagel no good. Keep the ham, perhaps with green salad and mayo instead?
Tea - chicken Korma and broccoli - Should be OK I think.

A few suggestions:

Today I ate

Breakfast -porridge - No good. Replace with fried egg and bacon
Snack - alpen bar - No good. Replace with a pepperami, sugar free jelly or piece of cheese
Lunch - bagel and ham - Bagel no good. Keep the ham, perhaps with green salad and mayo instead?
Tea - chicken Korma and broccoli - Should be OK I think.
Have you tried reading through So You're Thinking Of Starting Atkins at the top of this page? :)

All good advice - why not try Atkins for a two week induction (and read the info on the stickies so you know what to eat and how it works) and see how you get on?

I love this thread, it's like you guys are recruiting! Do you find you do that? Every time I see an obese woman who I think is about the size I was, I have to fight the urge to go up to her and say "I know, believe me I know what it's like, but there's a way..."

It's not just the weightloss, it's the sense of wellbeing...of wellness, which I think is due to the high fat/low carb combo. It's really hard not to go on and on about it! :D

I know what you mean at least 2 people at work are now on it - they saw what I was eating and couldn't believe how easy it was to lose x

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

Back