Newbie - really not sure I have what it takes, though...

sarafvrm

Gold Member
I hit upon this website by chance. I'm 1 1/2 stone heavier than I've ever been, and over 3 stone more than I should be. I've hit middle age (54), have become totally inactive (have an irregular heart beat which stops any gym letting me join) and am pretty isolated (lonely?) much of the time because I'm a stay-at-home mother of 4 kids aged 15 - 5.

I've followed countless other diets in the past (and was bulimic for many years, although I'm over that now). I've got into the habit of eating far too much and find strict instructions far easier to abide by than general guidelines about reducing calorie intake and increasing exercise.

I like the idea of burning body fat through ketosis but my problem is that I'm not going to be able to quit alcohol completely, at least not straight away. Does this mean eating protein-only foods will be a complete waste of time? I can quite see that it might, but would love to know, from your experience, whether you can reach ketosis while still drinking dry white wine.
I feel really motivated to stick to this diet but would welcome your views/experiences given that I shall continue to drink.

Hi there. It's a brilliant diet. I don't know if youll actually hit ketosis with drinking wine. Alcohol isn't permitted at all. I had a night out a few weeks ago. Plus ate non dukan next day and it stalled me for ages and gained 3lb. I wouldn't advise it and I think the others will say same. We all had things we had to sacrifice but it's worth it. Also alcohol can affect the appetite. If you can't part with it why not try a different diet that allows alcohol? :)

From memory (unless things have changed) on Atkins you can have a limited amount of wine after the induction period - which is 2 weeks?

Another thought - is that whilst following a (lean) protein diet (even with alcohol) you should overall end up eating less calories than you would otherwise, simply because protein fills you up and keeps you feeling fuller for longer.

I think that any approach to a healthier self is a good one. So good luck with your weight-loss journey - you will feel so much better about yourself.

Ted

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

Thanks very much to those of you who took the trouble to reply. I've started! On day 3, and been really 'good', apart from the odd glass of wine. Appeared to lose 2 lbs the first day, but gain 1/2 ib the second. I'm not too disheartened though, as Teddy67 says, if you restrict your food intake you're bound to lose weight in the long run. Also, I didn't do the walking on the first 2 days, but I've just been out for about 40 minutes and actually feel better for it. How bland is just protein, though! I had no idea it would be so dull!

It can be dull but with a bit of imagination it does get better. Get onto the recipe thread and see what takes your fancy as there are alot of delicious recipes for PP/Attack that are yummy - or at least I found them yum!! Use lots of herbs and spices in your food - amazing the difference that makes - if you just stick to plain meat it will be dull as dishwater!!! Anyway, really well done for a good start. I think you will still lose weight even with the odd glass of wine (though it would be great if you could give up for a bit - or maybe try it with soda water so you drink less!) as the diet is very low fat. I REALLY missed my nightly relaxing glass of wine to start with and currently I have three bottles of white wine in the fridge but I seriously am not tempted any more and I find myself making a peppermint tea or something is a bit enjoyable though admittedly not totally the same.LOL!

Pretty amazing how when a certain food group is allowed, encouraged, expected to be the primary source, it looses an a large amount of appeal! Choice is so important for me. Tell me I can't have it and even though I didn't think I did, I all of a sudden really really want it. Classic lovely study of telling someone "for the next 10 minutes, do not think of pink elephants". What does everyone think of but pink elephants.

Wine, chocolate, lemon curd, cambozola cheese. Take it off the table and it decides to sit itself three inches from my eyeballs, screaming. So, I put it back on the table and say, later. I can have you later. When I choose to. Just not right now, I'm choosing.

That was the only way I could start this way of eating. The deny diet never works for me. Maybe I did it too often and like eggs, we're only given so much life time will power against cheesecake. I thought my nightly Chardonnay would be a killer to leave. But, so far, remembering it's currently my choice. Something inside that wills me forward to not allow some other voice, resulting impulse, to speak over me. It's kinda making me curious, then mad, then super-willful and, in the end, encourages me to be stronger.

I'm so glad you're finding a way to be at choice and your so far success! Wonderful beginning taste of Dukan, the sweet taste of weight loss! Better I'd say any day than truly, boring, roasted white chicken!

You're quite right, Joydriven, the sweet taste of success is motivating me at the moment. Had dropped to 13st 6lbs this morning, that's 3lbs lost in 3 days! I know it's not 'real' weight loss yet, although I like the way my belly immediately seemed to reduce in size. I am optimistic that I will lose the 4lbs Dr Dukan predicted by the end of my 5-day attack phase. It's half term, so I've been too busy to research how to spice up protein as yet, but I've also been too busy to be that bothered about the blandness (that's 4 kids for you!) Didn't manage to fit in a walk today - that might have to wait till the kids are back at school. Never mind, one thing at a time and I'm starting to believe I can get there in the end. Thanks so much again for sharing your experiences and your advice. xx

Back