Newbie - returning to calorie counting after a year

~JoJo~

Hi everyone,

I have just started calorie counting again, after a year or so out of it. My story is I weighed nearly 15 stone, but lost a lot of weight through CC. My goal weight was 9st 10lb. Through calorie counting and exercise I got down to 10st 7lb - so close to my goal weight! I was really happy with myself and really happy with how my body looked. Even though I still have a few more lbs to go off of my lower body (pear shape!) I looked great. THEN...I stopped calorie counting. I stopped, thinking, 'Yeah, I've got it - I don't need to calorie count anymore. I don't need to log my exercise (or lack of it) and make sure I'm evening out my intake/energy usage. I'm fine'.

One year later, after a bad year emotionally, no self control, no exercise I shot up to 11st 10lbs! All my hard work - undone! It took my ages to lose all of that weight and then I just went and put it all back on again because I have no self control.

I tried Slimming World and I couldn't lose weight, I ended up putting on weight! I also hated the fact that it didn't take your exercise into account when it came to what you could eat, so you couldn't reward yourself with an extra treat for doing an hour in the gym. Not for me at all!

After struggling to lose the weight I gained and get back on track to my 9st 10lb target, I have finally realised, that for whatever reason, the way I am wired makes me respond really well to CC. I think it gives me the control I lack and the perspective on what impact my decisions are making on my mind and body (instead of just ignoring them and eating another cake) I like how CC shows you what your patterns are and what's going on. I also love the fact that if I want to eat something - I CAN! There are no restrictions, because as long as I am burning off more than I consume, I will still lose weight.

So far (3 weeks) I have dropped from 11st 10lb to 11st 6lb and my next weigh in is on Sunday (and I'm actually looking forwards to it, unlike with Slimming World). I love the fact that I am now enjoying treating myself to chocolate every now and then again without feeling guilt because it's a 'syn'. I am loving exercising and knowing it gains me points I can spend however I choose lol. Love knowing I have complete freedom of choice in my diet, I can be healthy - or I can treat myself - its my call. The weight still comes off at the end of the week.

So, just a 'hi' and an intro from me and a big shout out that I love CC and am so happy to be back in control of myself and losing this weight. I'm never going to make the mistake of ignoring my intake and exercise ever again!

Hope I can join in with lots of chats to keep me motivated to lose my last 24 lbs!

X

Hi Jojo, i'm a newbie too :wavey:
Glad its going well so far! I only started onMonday so haven't had a weigh in yet. I feel much more positive though. I'm finding the myfitnesspal app invaluable in tracking my food as it lets you just scan most food rather than having to write it down somewhere, which I definitely wouldn't have the discipline to do! I too like that CC allows you to take into account exercise, I don't think i'd be as motivated with it if there was no kind of reward!
Anyway, if you have MFP - add me, smulho99 :D and good luck! xx

Back