Newbie that needs help

size12

hello I’ve joined today, I’ve been doing SW since November and weight 5lb more than when I started, I can’t get the hang of it and I am 7 stone overweight and miserable. I am going to start calorie counting it worked in the past, any help/ advice great fully received :worthy:

Hi

I’m following Slimming World and have been since 6th Jan, although I’ve done this myself and not joined a club. As time has gone on I’ve combined this with calorie counting, so that I can keep an eye on portion sizes. During lockdown as it’s been harder to get groceries it’s been less SW and more calorie counting.
I enter everything onto My Fitness Pal as well as keeping a diary on here. I make sure I have less than 1700 calories a day, as this is the amount I need in order to lose a pound a week. Most days it’s around 1300-1400 calories.

It’s all about what works for you. At the minute this works for me. I want to lose 10 stone in total and to try and lose 6 stone in 2020. I’ve lost 2st8lbs so far. There are quicker ways of losing weight, but I want to be able to maintain this once I’ve got to goal and to retrain myself on my approach to food.

I plan everything (and this has been crucial for me). I also batch cook if I do a recipe which serves more people. This means I always have meals in the freezer which has so far stopped me saying sod it and ordering a takeaway! I’ve tried to find healthy versions of my favourite foods and I have enjoyed experimenting. This keeps my diet varied and stops me feeling deprived. I also have treats and build these into my plan - stops me going over my calories for the day but still allows me to feel like I’ve had treats.

Hi 😊
I have had the same problem both times that I have done Slimming World but I think it is down to the large portions that you are able to eat. I found it too easy to over indulge because it was an allowed food.

I have now swapped to calorie counting and use My Fitness Pal to track everything which is working well. I think it’s a lot easier to plan meals and choose snacks because you can see straight away how much you have to count for them without working out the syns. I don’t have snacks that are over 100 calories and try my best to stay under 50 cals each. If I fancy something sweet I try to go for 10 cal jelly or a mini twister ice-cream.

If you’re enjoying Slimming World maybe keep going but look at your portion sizes. It’s really surprising when you look at the calories instead and see how small a healthy portion is 😊

Are you managing to do some exercise as well? I like that on My Fitness Pal you can see how many calories you have earned - but I don’t eat them.

hello I’ve joined today, I’ve been doing SW since November and weight 5lb more than when I started, I can’t get the hang of it and I am 7 stone overweight and miserable. I am going to start calorie counting it worked in the past, any help/ advice great fully received :worthy:

I find this forum useful and perhaps having a diet buddy as you have extra motivation to either beat them or not let them down. Get the mantras and stick them on cupboards or fridge, have them as screensaver and have an inspiration target pic.

Back