Newbie with question

Jeg57

Although I've sort of watched my carbs for a few years now, I really need to get some weight off - as in 6 stones! So I'm carb watching with vengence!
My worry is this - I entered my days food and drink diary today for example - the carbs come in at 70g (12% of daily intake) but my calories....!! I'm over my alloted allowance (the site I've been using is heavy on calories so I can't help but take notice!) by a massive 800 cals (totalling 2623cals)

Now do I have to cut down? If so in what area? Or do I just totally ignore the calories as the books says? Is it ok to have the cream in coffees, 'desserts', breakfast etc? Or should I switch to skimmed milk?

Ive logged -
70g carbs - 12.5%
142g protein - 25%
160g Fat - 63%

My vegs are up so that ok, protein with all meals - ok..... so that really only leave the fat....

need advice!!

Jegs

If you're planning on doing Atkins then your carbs are far far too high. You should be aiming for under 20g carbs per day, which should be around 5% of your calorie intake and 15g of which should come from vegetables on the allowed list.

The basic premise is that the lower your carbs are the higher your fat can be and the less you need to worry about calories, though it does look as though you may currently be overheating in general.

Have a read of the induction section of the book, that should give you a clearer idea. The carbs are really the non negotiable part of the diet. Get those under 20g and your appetite and thus calories should naturally drop.

It's a no to skimmed milk, also. Skimmed milk is too high in carbs but if you don't want to use cream as a replacement then alpro unsweetened soya milk is very low cal and very low carb.

Try posting your daily menus on here, people will point out if anything looks wrong.

Last edited:
Back