Next Sat....

glammam

Ok I have a pretty big night out next sat and I want to have a few drinks. Can I drink in ketosis, or will I need to have carbs beforehand? Would a few voddies and diet coke harm? Was thinking of having a pp day or 2 after it. Any thoughts or suggestions welcome :)

If you drink in ketosis you will in all likelihood come out of it. If you had vodka with diet mixers it would probably do the least damage but even though its free of carbs its the alcohol that causes the problem as it turns to sugar in your body I believe.

Could you not have a good fun time without the alcohol? If not then you'll just have to risk it. Don't carb up before hand you'll just make the impact worse.

If it was just a normal night out I would but Im in a band and get really nervous! I just like to have a couple of drinks to take the edge off and steady my nerves! I have thought about playing sober but that made me feel more nervous! ha ha oh what to do!

I do not recommend drinking.
Ketosis state you are in right now will make the effect of alcohol even worse.
Your liver will work even harder.

I use lavender tea the night before a stressful event.... makes you sleep like a baby and the next day you are calm and rested.

I drove on nights out until I had a couple of stone leeway! Then I had 2 vodkas and couldn't work out what the fuss was about! I did gain a pound though, but hoping it's gone now (weighing tomorrow, a week on, after anniversary meals eeeeep) x

the hangovers are awfull when you drink and it doesnt take much to get you in a right state either :(

V+DC if you absolutely have to, as the girls say it will kick you out of keto because of the alcohol sugars.

The effects of the alcohol will be greatly maximized by the lack of glycogen stores in your body, so if you're planning to perform after vodka I think I'd limit it to a couple of sips :eek:

also if you "carb up" before you drink expect serious bloatage and a tough hangover :)

as most of us on here have felt just a slip onto carby foods can cause a hangover effect, add alcohol to the mix and OUCH! :( x

xeilidhx said:
I drove on nights out until I had a couple of stone leeway! Then I had 2 vodkas and couldn't work out what the fuss was about! I did gain a pound though, but hoping it's gone now (weighing tomorrow, a week on, after anniversary meals eeeeep) x

You were lucky. There's a lot of people have ended up ill, passed out and worse drinking in ketosis

There's a sticky thread in the CD which explains it :)

Id be too scared to risk it if I was out and I definitely wouldn't chance it if I was performing OP. You don't know how it might affect you. What if it hit you hard and you couldn't go on :s

Starlight said:
You were lucky. There's a lot of people have ended up ill, passed out and worse drinking in ketosis

There's a sticky thread in the CD which explains it :)

Id be too scared to risk it if I was out and I definitely wouldn't chance it if I was performing OP. You don't know how it might affect you. What if it hit you hard and you couldn't go on :s

I wasn't suggesting it was a definite thing to do, all I said was that after 3 months sober I found 2 drinks in a 6 hour period made me sts. In no way suggesting or advocating a binge. Do you want me to point out I drank about 4 waters per drink? There are other folk on here mentioning drinking too, not trying to cause an argument only sugges

That was sent as I was deleting bits. My original post was meant to suggest if it HAD to e done that absolute moderation was the key. X

Its not really the weight loss thats the issue though its the effects of alcohol in ketosis. All I was doing was pointing out how lucky you were :)

There have been SO many horror stories on Minimins about people who have had a drink and how its affected them its quite scary, unfortunately theres no way of knowing how people will be affected, one person can be fine, another can be ill and lose a whole day after just one or 2 drinks

If it HAS to be done then the only safe way is to come out of ketosis. Even one or 2 drinks can be lethal

On my laptop now so can find the CD thread :)

http://www.minimins.com/cambridge-d...ation/26311-dangers-alcohol-when-ketosis.html

Fair enough. I'd always suggest not drinking anyway cause we want the diets to work but if there's "no option" so to speak it's a bare minimum!

Thanks for the advice. I am still unsure what to do. I feel ok at the mo about not drinking but I have decided that if the nerves start to kick in later on in the week then I will take myself out of ketosis on Friday night by having a small jacket potato or some rice and then have the same on Sat. Think I will have a few pp days to get back on it. I am still unsure about it all yet but think it is best to have a planned slip up and get straight back to it rather than go out, have a few drinks when in ketosis and get in a right state. Hmmm what to do!

It is a big occassion as normally it wouldnt bother me. I figure that if Im on it for the long haul I have to make this diet work for me and I would rather have a plan than just go right off it! Argh!!!

I think when you dont know how alcohol might affect you its not worth the risk, you might be fine but then again... if you were just going to someones house for an evening etc it would be different but can you take the risk of being one of the people who have a bad reaction when you need to go on stage.

Im on a VLCD and I have to admit I miss wine more than food at times lol Hate to think what that says about me ;)

If it was me (I'm teetotal practically :))

I would have my muffins within an hour or so of having a drink...the carbiness of them is the most we get on Dukan....perhaps a few seafood sticks too...then no more than a single measure of vodka+dc "should" be ok....

then no attack phase afterwards, just straight back onto 1/1 starting with a pp day.

Keep the fluids up, forget the jacket potato - you're just storing up massive cravings and harsh re-entry to keto....x

p.s. don't neck the vodka straight down - if you sip it at least you'll be able to tell if it's "going to your head" xx

p.p.s but if you can conquer the nerves without it - that would be best plan :) x

Thanks, yes conquering the nerves would be the best plan!!!! I know its daft but if i have a largery taste in my mouth I dont feel nervous! Oh well, we'll see. I have bought a subscription to the dukan website (only 7 quid on wowcher) so I am going to email them for suggestions. At the mo I feel ok about not drinking but we'll see later on in the week. I know what Im like and id rather plan to slip up rather than just do it spectacularly and get off the diet altogether. One thing I know tho is I will definitely come out of ketosis and have some kind of carb if I am going to let myself have a couple of drinks.

The mind is a powerful tool, have you thought of hypnosis for self relaxation????? Just a thought x

I have tried the Paul mckenna cds, they are good. Im just going to play it all by ear. Dont feel too bad about not having a drink at the mo. Not feeling nervous at all. Mind you I have really strong painkillers at the mo for a ear infection so think they are stopping me from thinking about anything! Perhaps I'll just take them!

Asking the dukan site is a good idea, could you copy over what they say in response :) be interesting to see what they advise x

Back