NHS facing Diabetes overload.

Discussion in 'Diabetes' started by Leanne1, 29 June 2011 Social URL.

1. Leanne1

Leanne1 Silver Member

Start Weight:
    14st10lb
    Current Weight:
    13st7lb
    Goal Weight:
    9st0lb
    Lost(%):
    1st3lb(8.25%)
    Diet:
    Low carb
  2. Avatar

MiniMins.com Matched Content

3. Lynn_

Lynn_ On A Mission!

Start Weight:
    17st9lb
    Current Weight:
    10st9lb
    Goal Weight:
    10st7lb
    Lost(%):
    7st0lb(39.68%)
    Badges:
    Maintainer
    Diet:
    Diabetic/Low carb
    Lets hope the medical profession sit up and take notice. Doctors should be routinely testing anyone with a BMI over 30, and then they need to urgently review the dietary advice being dished out.

I know it might upset some to be subjected to a diabetes test just because they are overweight, but face facts, its being overweight that puts you at significant risk, and the test is so simple and quick. Diabetes can be a life threatening condition, that can cause untold damage to vital organs before it is detected. I was showing signs for years before mine was diagnosed, if my doctor had been a little more proactive then I would have been diagnosed and treated much sooner. Albeit with out of date dietary advice, but thats another gripe.....

4. Leanne1

Leanne1 Silver Member

Start Weight:
    14st10lb
    Current Weight:
    13st7lb
    Goal Weight:
    9st0lb
    Lost(%):
    1st3lb(8.25%)
    Diet:
    Low carb
    A friend who has type 2 came to see me after seeing her dietician today. She is newly diagnosed and showed me the meal suggestions she was given. I nearly screamed in sheer frustration! It is all carbs. Still they do this. Why????

5. Lynn_

Lynn_ On A Mission!

Start Weight:
    17st9lb
    Current Weight:
    10st9lb
    Goal Weight:
    10st7lb
    Lost(%):
    7st0lb(39.68%)
    Badges:
    Maintainer
    Diet:
    Diabetic/Low carb
    It makes me want to cry Leanne, its not like its a well kept secret that a low carb diet lowers blood sugars, but anyone newly diagnosed and having this sort of crap dished out to them is going to end up confused at best and seriously ill at worst.

6. Leanne1

Leanne1 Silver Member

Start Weight:
    14st10lb
    Current Weight:
    13st7lb
    Goal Weight:
    9st0lb
    Lost(%):
    1st3lb(8.25%)
    Diet:
    Low carb
    Yeah, I had to sit her down and tell her all about carbs and low carbing. It just breaks my heart that the wrong information is STILL being given out.

7. Lynn8124

Lynn8124 Gold Member

Start Weight:
    19st7lb
    Current Weight:
    19st7lb
    Goal Weight:
    11st0lb
    Lost(%):
    0st0lb(0%)
    Diet:
    seefood
    they are afraid of being sued if something goes wrong. it could all change someday though.

8. Barb

Barb Gold Member

Diet:
    Healthy eating/Food diary
    I would have had no info about carbs if it wasn't for Claire-bear and Lynn. My doctors attitude was eat healthily; lots of jacket potatoes, baked beans, new potatoes, bean stews...... but not too much fruit!

Makes you wonder.

9. Leanne1

Leanne1 Silver Member

Start Weight:
    14st10lb
    Current Weight:
    13st7lb
    Goal Weight:
    9st0lb
    Lost(%):
    1st3lb(8.25%)
    Diet:
    Low carb
    What is really worrying is that new dieticians are coming out of Universities with these beliefs. I wonder when it will change. The evidence speaks for itself. I am on a quarter the amount of insulin I was taking now! :)

10. Barb

Barb Gold Member

Diet:
    Exactly, why aren't they listening to the people with the real evidence; diabetics who have learned for themselves what they can and cannot eat.

I am still shocked by my Gp's response to self testing - she insisted there is no merit or need for it! Really, well why not? Surely we are trying our best to look after ourselves and should be encouraged not belittled(which is how I felt).

11. Leanne1

Leanne1 Silver Member

Start Weight:
    14st10lb
    Current Weight:
    13st7lb
    Goal Weight:
    9st0lb
    Lost(%):
    1st3lb(8.25%)
    Diet:
    Low carb
    Your Doctor needs a good kick in the pants Barb.

12. Barb

Barb Gold Member

Diet:
    I don't think she'd like that Leanne! You made me chuckle envisaging it though!

Popular Forums
  1. MiniMins.com is a weight loss support community helping each other on their weight loss journey. We have a multitude of forums, from Slimming World and Exante, to Success Stories. Click the logo at the top right to return to the forum home page at any time.