Nice to meet you!

CaliSweden

Silver Member
Hi everyone nice to meet you! I live in Sweden, but I'm originally from California. I offically switched over to the GI diet yesterday from the Swedish diet LCHF (Low Carb High Fat). I'm pretty new to GI. I've searched the internet like crazy to find everything about the GI diet. But found that the info was confusing to me, and so I ended up reading a Swedish book on the GI diet and method. Now it makes a whole lot of sense.

Here in Sweden I noticed that they tend to blend GI and LCHF. People who do GI will mix in LCHF meals, since LCHF meals have low GI. To me it doesn't make sense since LCHF is all about low carbs just like atkins, and GI from what I read is about exchanging high GI for low GI, having lots of fibers, and eating lots of vegies and fruits. Or maybe I read the book wrong???

So I figured why not check out how other people in the world are doing their GI diet, and hopefully I can learn from them to do it properly:)

The reason why I stopped doing the LCHF diet was that I became really tired of eating fat and meat. I like fat and meat, but not when I'm forced to eat it all day long, and pretty much limited to it if I want to lose weight. I was doing 20g of carbs a day in order to lose weight. This meant that I was very limited on what vegetables I could eat, and fruits were a major no no. If I had too much tomatoes or onion I would go up in weight because of the carbs.

I'm more of a veggie and fruit person, meat's okay in a ok size portion. I also stopped LCHF because I developed a rash all over my body. The doc said that it was most likely caused by a weaker immune system from stress on the body or mind. They asked if I have eatten or done anything new or different recently, and the only thing new was the diet.

Wednesday night I had my last LCHF meal, and it was so hard to swallow that mayonaise and tuna salad. The past two days doing low GI was really nice, relaxing and very refreshing. Unfortunately I've gained 2.4 pounds since Tuesday, because of going from <20g of carbs a day to eating low GI carbs.

I actually eat much less with GI than I did with LCHF.

Hi CaliSweden, Welcome to the forum.

Not wishing to offen you but I'm afraid that all this GI stuff and LCHF is, in my humble opinion, such a lot of rubbish. I think it is far better to have a diet where you eat a good variety of foods and plenty of fruit and veg.
Anyway, what suits one is not anothers taste and so I do hope that you get on well with your new regime.

Take care and all the very best to you ... :)

Welcome Cali. GI is really about balancing your diet so that you don't suffer blood sugar surges/drops that bring on the cravings.

Try to eat as much natural and unprocessed foods as possible and don't worry too much about the quantities of carbs/fats/proteins.

You may like to take a look at some of the Glycaemic Load diet sites as well such as Patrick Holford and Nigel Denby. Also the Schwarzbein Principle is a good book to read as well.

Last edited:
Hi Tranquility. The GI way has helped alot with the hunger factor. I don't do well when I'm hungry. I become a real diva when I'm hungry. I found that if I eat for breakfast unsweetened musli that has 63carb/100g 1dl of it lasts for about 4 hours. But if I eat the high fiber super darkbread with grains and nuts in it, I get hungry much sooner. When I eat quinoa or small white beans the hunger stays away really long.

I'll have to take a look at the GL diet sites. So far from what I'm understanding is eat small portions throughout the day, no longer than 4 hours apart. Food should be natural or less processed. Change out any refined carbs for unrefined carbs that are low on the GI. Stay away from high GI things as much as possible, or mix them with low GI in small portions.

CaliSweden said:
Hi Tranquility. The GI way has helped alot with the hunger factor. I don't do well when I'm hungry. I become a real diva when I'm hungry. I found that if I eat for breakfast unsweetened musli that has 63carb/100g 1dl of it lasts for about 4 hours. But if I eat the high fiber super darkbread with grains and nuts in it, I get hungry much sooner. When I eat quinoa or small white beans the hunger stays away really long.

I'll have to take a look at the GL diet sites. So far from what I'm understanding is eat small portions throughout the day, no longer than 4 hours apart. Food should be natural or less processed. Change out any refined carbs for unrefined carbs that are low on the GI. Stay away from high GI things as much as possible, or mix them with low GI in small portions.

Welcome to the forum. Your last post makes a lot of sense and summarises Gi/GL principles to a tee. In addition, do keep a close eye on portion sizes. Keep portion sizes small. I also try to drink 1 1/2 to 2 litres of water a day.
I love GL and have lost 29 lbs through it and maintained this loss for a year now.
Gi diets are based on scientific principles and were explored as a diet option for people suffering with diabetes. Many newer diet plans simply apply Gi principles. Google "glycemic index foundation" and" gi news" for some useful info.

Hi Irish Molly, thank you for the great advice. I will google those later on today. I don't have diabetes, but I figured that it's ok to do GI since I am too much of a carb addict to simply just say they're evil and cast them out my life for good.

Does anyone know about how much weight one loses doing GI diet/lifestyle? I have to a baptisim today there will be food afterwards, but I'm going to take a little cooler with some iced white beans so I can eat them with whatever veggies are there. Wish me luck!

Gi was originally used to prevent type 2 diabetes but is now widely regarded as the healthiest way for all of us. I know I rarely feel hungry once I stick with healthy Gi choices.
Well done on taking something with you today. Good luck and enjoy.

I think I should start a diary here. I will post how I did today on there :)

Back