Night shifts!

Lmg_

I start work at 19:30 & finish at 8am. I bring food in with me, couscous, fruit, yogurt to keep me going. But my problem is everyone else brings in rubbish for everyone to snack on! Cakes, biscuits, crisps, dips! Arghhhh. It's my second week back on SW & this is the first time I've had to really fight temptation.
The food I bring in keeps me satisfied throughout the night, I just hate the rubbish being around me.x

I know how hard this can be. I work in an office of about 30, and there's always an excuse to bring biscuits, cakes and sweets in. Birthdays, anniversarys, retirements, it's a nice day...you name it, there'll be goodies for it!

What about taking a stash of your own "naughty" treats in - SW style of course! In my drawer at work I have a multipack of Walkers French Fries (4 Syns), HiFi Lights (3 Syns or 2=B), Fox's Party Ring biscuits (1.5 Syns each), Rich Tea Fingers (1 Syn each), etc. When you feel tempted, you could still have something, but something that would be a lot lower in Syns than whatever your colleagues are bringing in. It works for me! I never feel left out :)

I agree with Princess Stevie, low syn snacks are the way to go. I always love a Mikado (1/2 syn per stick)!
Also try drinking lots of herbal/normal tea and water. Usually I will have this before I think I want a dessert and if I wait for around 10 minutes (the time it takes to drink the tea) the cravings are gone :)

I have an array of delicious looking desserts in front of me every single day, due to work. Just remind yourself why you are resisting and treat yourself with a glossy magazine instead of food :)

Good luck! x

I have the same problem, I work nights with 2 lads and they eat all sorts, even order takeaways. I take lots of nibbles and use most of my syns at night in work, the funny thing is they've started bringing in fruit and healthier food. I think they're getting the healthy bug lol

Help! Got my first night shift tomorrow night (8pm- 8am). How do seasoned shift workers do this? How many meals and when do you count as the beginning/end of one days syn allowance? I'm going to start a new days syn allowance at midnight and going to try and have supper & breakfast.

Never done this before so the whole switching from being awake in the day, switching to night and back again is brand new. Not worried about the actual work, just don't want to feel horrific past about 3am when I hit the wall!

I start work at 19:30 & finish at 8am. I bring food in with me, couscous, fruit, yogurt to keep me going. But my problem is everyone else brings in rubbish for everyone to snack on! Cakes, biscuits, crisps, dips! Arghhhh. It's my second week back on SW & this is the first time I've had to really fight temptation. The food I bring in keeps me satisfied throughout the night, I just hate the rubbish being around me.x
i know this feeling we have a busy unit and there is always rubbish floating around to eat! and when you are in nights it is so hard because I don't know about you but u get so hungry and crave sugar! I am starting 4 tomorrow I would just say bring your self in some low syns treats, and be organised

Help! Got my first night shift tomorrow night (8pm- 8am). How do seasoned shift workers do this? How many meals and when do you count as the beginning/end of one days syn allowance? I'm going to start a new days syn allowance at midnight and going to try and have supper & breakfast.

Never done this before so the whole switching from being awake in the day, switching to night and back again is brand new. Not worried about the actual work, just don't want to feel horrific past about 3am when I hit the wall!

Hi I have never worked nights but my consultant says to those who do to start the new day when you wake up till you go to bed. So if you go to bed 10am-3pm say then start a day at 3 and carry on that day till you go to bed again at 10. So have all hex and syns in that time period. Hope that helps

Meringue nests are great too! 2.5 syns (or 3 syns for some brands- check the calories and 20:1 rule) but they are quite big so feels like you are getting a fair bit for your syns and so nice! Also they last aaages before going off/stale. X

I always take options hot chocolate and dowe egberts chocolate flavoured coffee so when I get the craving for sugar in the middle of my shift (and this happens every night) I have something sweet to kill the cravings. As I do green I also save one of my HEB's and use it on Hi-fi bars or alpen lights. I always have plenty of fruit to pick at as well as I get the munchies something rotten.
As for how you work your day out, I have breakfast when I get home and I count this as the first meal of the day. Then I have tea when I get up and I take soup for lunch during the night and lots of nibbly bits and I count this as my last meal. Doing it this way makes it easier on my days off. I think as long as you decide how you want to do it and stick to it and it covers your 3 meals a day it will work. It would be if you changed it all the time that it would go wrong.
You'll soon get used to the hours and the "wall", I love doing nights and wouldn't change back.
Good luck x x

I work permanent nights too, there are always boxes of biscuits and chocolates that relatives have brought for us. So far I'm doing ok but it gets tough around 3am . I swear by options hot chocolate too and I take a curly wurly too. Bananas and grapes keep me going too x

I work permanent nights too, there are always boxes of biscuits and chocolates that relatives have brought for us. So far I'm doing ok but it gets tough around 3am . I swear by options hot chocolate too and I take a curly wurly too. Bananas and grapes keep me going too x
It's funny you should say grapes and bananas they're exactly what I take with my at night, out of all the fruit they seem to do the trick better. x

Back