Not going into Ketosis

k4renm4c

Hello

Ive been following the Total Solutions Exante plan religiously with 3L of water per day and 2 black coffees per day for 7 days now. Ive added no sweetners or flavourings to anything. On Day 5 after spending all day sorting in the spare room and loft I felt pretty weak and hungry so i had a roast chicken breast on top of my 3 x a day exante meals. On Day 6 I finished off the spare room and was hungry again so i had a boiled egg on its own. Other than 2 extra pieces of protein, I havent strayed. Im now at the end of Day 7 and show no signs of going into Ketosis. Im not weak or lethargic, pretty clear headed and getting on with things but Im RAVENOUS!! My body thinks Im starving it. However it is not sustainable to keep doing this to my body. The ketosis process most people go through, I havent (or if I have, then why am I sooooooo hungry?). Two people at work asked me today if it was my stomach they could hear. Im not imagining the hunger and taking on plenty of water so dont really understand it.

Ive long suspected Im insulin resistant which is a possible cause so I dropped my carb intake to 25g today and I am trying a new strategy - I just had a shake for brunch and steak with a fried egg in coconut oil for dinner. I figured that my body is hungry but still must think it has enough glucose to survive as Im ticking over fine. I had a really physical weekend and was drained after, but still nothing. Bit achey but that was to be expected.

I pretty sure that Im not in Ketosis as I dont have any of the symptoms. No fatigue, headaches, breath is fine and Im drinking the same as always. Any suggestions? Im worried that even if i did go into Ketosis, how the heck would I stay there if Its been that hard to start?

I would say you probably are in ketosis. I don't lose my hunger pangs when I in ketosis either nor do I generally get any other symptoms, but I've checked I am in ketosis using ketosticks. It is hard to keep going when you feel constantly hungry but it will be worth it as the lbs drop off.

Thanks for reply. Im not sure I can do several months of this level of hunger. It actually hurts. I am going to keep going another week to see what happens, Ive come this far. If I havent gone into Ketosis then all Ive done is put my body into starvation mode and will pile on the pounds quickly so need to stick this one out.

I have wondered if i am in ketosis as i dont feel any worse for reducing my calorie count which does sound strange in itself but my body has always reacted a bit strange to most things food related.

Thanks!! K

I still get really hungry, not so much in the evenings but during the day I'm terrible. I've started splitting my bar and that seems to help.
Perhaps long term you might find working solution better for you?

Yes it is something I am considering but I have concerns that the Exante Carb level is too high for my metabolism (which is incredibly slow – Ive been tested). I also have PCOS and fluctuating insulin levels. Ive read a few online articles that some people need less carbs to go into ketosis. I think I may have been in Ketosis but borderline and if it means that I am not mobilizing my own fat stores then I must be getting them from somewhere else ie the 60g of carbs from the exante meals. Just a theory, Im just a newbie. I guess there is no harm in trying the WS solution for a week and seeing what happens but at this stage Im reluctant to increase my carb level. That said, Ive read that some people get better results on WS than TS so it is worth a shot!

I think the 25g carbs yesterday is one step closer to ketosis. I have a headache, blurred vision and Im generally weak today so Im going to see what happens in the next 72 hours without it becoming "dangerous". I'll eat a corner of the bar if I need to. Im going to stay with my parents tonight until Sun and whilst Ive given them strict instructions on my diet, I not looking forward to explaining to them what I am doing or worrying because I have a headache!! I come from a science background, they don’t. They are currently on a 2/5 diet where they are good for 5 days but have 2 treat days and Im sure they will be selling that to me instead! On the bright side, I can take the dog for a walk and get some exercise!

Will update this after my few low carb days because I couldn’t find much online for people in this scenario where they are not going into ketosis and how they actually did after. Its also worth mentioning to other dieters that I felt a nauseous after the steak and egg last night because after a week of very light structured meals, my body didn’t know what had hit it and I regretted it instantly. Will try a simple chicken breast tonight on the train! Listening to my body!

Well done on your weight loss and thanks for the advice! You are roughly the same height and targeting the same weight goal. I have just returned from 3 years working abroad and none of my beautiful UK clothes fit, I have lots of motivation to get back to the person I used to be before I left! A moment on the lips was not worth it!

Hmmm I now think Im in Ketosis altho still have the crazy hunger and rumbling tummy!! The metallic taste in my mouth is now quite strong, but other than a general weakness, I dont have any other symptoms. Ive achieved this by a 20g carb +400cal protein daily diet, but it has left me borderline weak so Im going to try 40g crb per day and see what happens!

Interesting ideas... Maybe try lipotrim or a mix of exante and lipotrim. I think LT is lower in everything than the other VLCDs -I'm sure someone will correct me if I am wrong.

I tried Slim and Save last year but didn't get anywhere - I wonder if the carbs were too high for me.

Lipotrim works for me and for the last week (having a break this week) I mixed LT with exante and it still worked.

i monitor my sugar every morning ... its werid i am on the total my sugar flux even though i eat the same day in and day out no rhyeme or reason i take my blood at the same time in the morning ... i some times have headaches but there not as bad now as i am in my 6th weeks and i have now losing weight at a steady pace and feeling healthier for me. i have a lot of weight too lose so i would say unless you don't feel healthly and not losing weight don't worry re ketois you body is naturally working its self out and you might not lose it as quickly as some are doing but your body is healing and sorting out the boiler (its what i call the engine that keeps us ticking over) if you dont feel well go your dr and talk to them stress isn't good for weight lost and see what they say about it, even if its for peace of mind.

Well, it has been an interesting few days. If I was to believe the scales, I would have lost ½ stone since FRI, but I don’t believe the scales because everytime I get back on them, I get a different reading going both up and down. Im taking them back to the shop today. So I have no idea what I have actually lost because I cant know that my starting weight was accurate now. Anyway, Ive definitely lost as I can feel it so that’s the main thing, so once I get the new scales I will use that as my starting weight.

Thanks for the reply regarding LT. I will definitely consider it in the future, but I want to play around with a Exante diet a bit further yet. I like the taste of their products so Im going to use them up first!

I am learning more about my body’s needs each day that goes by. The hunger pangs don’t hurt as much anymore but I still have the sound effects of a mini earthquake. Therefore this week I am trying to eat a small amount every few hours, rather than 3 meals a day. This should help my blood sugars. Willpower is fine and I managed to go a whole weekend at my parents house and avoid their amazing cooking. I also met a friend for a drink and while she had food and wine, I filled up on black coffee. (I did stare at her eating the yummy food tho!)

I don’t know how much weight I have lost and I don’t know if I was in Ketosis after Day 3 due to no symptoms, but I have found, that the less carbs I eat, the stronger the metallic taste in my mouth and the more thirsty I am. Thankfully, I still don’t have many symptoms other than the taste in my mouth and hunger. Im a bit weaker, but not in a fainting type of way, just can tell my body is low in glucose, which is the point of the diet. I am sleeping very deeply and getting up is hard and I need that morning coffee but after Ive had the first coffee the energy comes. When I met my friend at the weekend, she thought I looked and sounded great and she didn’t know about the diet. She said instantly, that I looked radiant! Im so happy that this diet is suiting me at present because I feel good, healthy and (apparently) I look good!

One tip for everyone in the future is not to leave your shaker on the train which is what I did last night!! So angry with myself! But I ordered two last night when I realised! This morning I added a small amount of water to the powder and mixed it to become a paste and then added the water gradually. No lumps! Handy if you don’t have your shaker!

Thanks for the support so far guys, really appreciate it.

I have found the last 2 weekends the toughest. I think because the house is full of my lovely slim family enjoying themselves with takeaways and goodies. It's easier when they are at school/work.

Similarly to you I struggle with getting to this 'not feeling hungry' sensation, but have the metallic taste in my mouth and I'm drinking more water than nemo!

Keep going.x

Turns out the scales might not have been broken as I appear to have lost in 12lbs in 12 days. Need to stop overthinking this diet and just get on with it now! It is working!

Great news. 12lbs is brill thats 2 newborn babies!!!!!

Thanks guys. Yes indeed I have lost the equivalent of twins, hilarious! Cant reallly tell tho tbh! I didnt take my measurements before but my clothes are only just a bit looser, hardly noticeable. Suspect I lost a ton of water and some muscle the first week, so think Im now Im in fat burning mode. I am meeting friends in Paris in two weeks for a week's holiday so any weight loss will improve my weight and confidence. I still havent decided how Im gonna get through that week, I think a week off is the only way to go. How can I refuse a French baguette with cheese and red wine. EEEK!! Or I might still have two exante meals a day and then whatever I want after. I prob wont be in Ketosis but my calorie count should be low to avoid gaining too much. In theory :)

Hi i'm at spa next week as a gift of my best friend. I'm going have a bar a.m and pick the lowest carb choice I can. I just think I'd look ungrateful and insane not to. Fingers crossed it won't start a binge.

Paris...how fabulous. Have a blast!

Its not the best timing but does fall into 21 day slot to eat other foods. That said I am doing something between the TS and WS anyway as i had steak last night. I cant/wont cancel but it is also frustrating as i have been buying a few new clothes but dont want to spend much as I intend to resume my diet when I get back. A bit of me wishes I was going in June instead when Im further down the diet but i will just have to find a balance between eating carbs and watching calories. But t is a full 7 dats!! Argh!! There will be lots of walking so it may not be as fat gaining as I fear. It is crazy, that I am nervous to go to on holiday but I guess I dont trust myself or other people.

Enjoy your spa, Ive been meaning to book in for a massage all week. Really need one!

Thanks guys. Yes indeed I have lost the equivalent of twins, hilarious! Cant reallly tell tho tbh! I didnt take my measurements before but my clothes are only just a bit looser, hardly noticeable. Suspect I lost a ton of water and some muscle the first week, so think Im now Im in fat burning mode. I am meeting friends in Paris in two weeks for a week's holiday so any weight loss will improve my weight and confidence. I still havent decided how Im gonna get through that week, I think a week off is the only way to go. How can I refuse a French baguette with cheese and red wine. EEEK!! Or I might still have two exante meals a day and then whatever I want after. I prob wont be in Ketosis but my calorie count should be low to avoid gaining too much. In theory :)

Oooh...don't mention baguettes, french red wine & cheese.....I just had a flashback to my Summer holiday in La Rochelle & the skip load of the same that I managed to consume! Oh...the memories!! lol

On the subject of ketosis (& apologies if the answer is already posted elsewhere)...is there an optimum level you should reach on the ketone wee stick scale thing to confirm you're actually 'in' ketosis?? I've only been doing this 1 week & have never done such a LCD before. Tried the sticks for the first time yesterday pm & I registered at about 1.5 on the colour chart scale

From what Ive read elsewhere, the darker colour means that you could be dehydrated and an nice medium colour is best but Ketosis varies person to person. Ive heard that the sticks can be a bit unreliable too giving false readings. I dont use the sticks, I use the taste in my mouth as an indicator. In the mornings it is really strong. Listen to what your body and scales are saying not the sticks as no two people are the same. But Im just a newbie as well, just feels like A LOT longer than two weeks lol!!!

Back