Not telling certain people that you're on CD

lumpyandbumpy

Silver Member
Following on from a previous post I commented on about unsupportive friends, how many of you CD's have tried to 'hide' the fact that you are doing CD? i've only told a handful of people, people that I know wont judge and will help me to stick to the diet. there's plenty of people I know who would just make stupid comments like 'you'll put all the weight back on quicker' and 'that can't be good for you, no food at all'. :rolleyes:

it really gets my back up because these people who havent even read up on the diet, they just hear the word 'shakes' and assume you're mental for not eating! i've been out the past 2 wkends and i'm out this saturday again and there's one friend in particular who always comments on people's eating or drinking habits anyway. she's not being nasty, its just irritating! she always picks up on stupid things like the fact that you don't like peas or you're not drinking as much as others in the group, and points it out in front of everyone, so if I told her about CD i'd never hear the end of it! :mad:

anyone else know people like this and are trying to keep CD under wraps??

I have had very mixed reactions. My partner has been very supportive as I made sure I went through all the ins and outs with him (saying that, he still doesn't know what my start weight was haha) and so has one of my friends. One of my other friends has been ok about it - I wouldn't say 'supportive' - if it comes up she's like 'Oh wow, that is a lot to lose, it sounds dangerous, I couldn't do it' - I just don't really listen to her lol - its not helpful.

My parents are supportive. My Mum was making sub rolls yesterday and was like 'are you SURE you don't want one?' errrrm no mother, I have spent 4 weeks on this diet, I'm probably not going to ruin it with a sub roll :D

Other than those, I have just told people I am on a diet and that I am exercising! Which is true - just haven't told them which diet :D

xx

I've told my other half, impossible not to as we live together. My daughter who is 23 as she wants to start and 1 friend at work. A few others just think I'm on a wedding diet like Teamshelly they just dint know which diet.
A few girls at work have done it and only 1 has kept her weight off, don't think the others got beyond the first couple of months. Can't wait to get slim and tell them all :)
I'm away overnight on Friday with one of my bridesmaids / friend of over 20 years, she's not mentioned anything yet but I may end up telling her whilst we are away x

For the first few weeks i did not tell very many people i cud not handle the negative comments they had and hearing how bad it is for me bla bla bla but now i cud not care less if someone asks me i tell them if they have some negative comment i just say i feel great and its working for me... the thing i get told the most now is that im losing to much weight to fast i am having 3 products a day drinking my water i cant control how fast or slow my weight loss is so i am just over caring what others have to say and only focusing on me.. which is something i shud of done a long time ago.

yolande - i agree it's better just to answer people with a straight 'it works for me' its just i find some people have got answers for everything and i cant stand the hassle! it'll get easier for me after this wkend as i've got no nights out planned for all of April which is great so hopefully I can get on with my weight loss without having to pretend my water is vodka and lemonade! nearly caused a few problems last sat as my friend wanted to buy everyone a drink out of her bingo winnings! i hid in the toilet for 10 mins until she left the bar!!

Oh i know all about pretending i work with food and when my boss gave me things to try i had to do my best impression of pretending to eat it even doing the whole mmmmmmm thats good ha ha ha instead of just telling him no im on a diet... he knows now tho so no more pretending =D But totally know what ja mean about 'know it alls'i have a few of them and i have now learned to just switch off =D

Hmm. Threads like these always make me realise that my friends / colleagues might be a bit, umm, scared of me :eek:

It never occurred to me not to tell people, but I can't really imagine anyone passing negative judgement on a decision I'd made. Possibly cos I'm a mardy arse and I'd bombard them with reasons why I know I'm right until they were sorry they spoke. It's a teacher thing, maybe. :D

More seriously, I didn't start CWP til I had done a lot of research into its safety, success statistics, and the biomechanics of how it works. So people ask about it, a lot, but I have the answers and I'm happy to share them.

I told people the first time round & a few of the girls were *****y about it. One of my best friends was moaning about it & despite me wheeling out all the facts she just said add didn't believe it was safe. And a few of the others agreed. I then said I didn't think it was any worse for me than eating a portion of chips on my drive home, before dinner, because I was so stressed. Turns out that was far too honest & they looked at me like I was insane. And disgusting. So this time I lied & said I'm doing low carb. I've said this to colleagues too. Not just because I don't want the comments but because I don't want this diet to take over everything in my life. Work is my free space where Cambridge does not touch..

Not told anyone, My Dad has worked out that I'm doing it though.

I have told most people and if anyone is not happy I will ignore them. I have a really good friend and if I go over she always offers me a chicken breast and salad. My mum doesn't like it much but supports my choice. My sis has been on it herself and knows what it is like. Work colleagues are mixed but I tell them it is my choice. It has really helped my sciatica losing weight

The first time i told everyone and I had too much grief.. two colleagues told my boss they were concerned! (Fortunately I'd told my boss more about it first anyway so phew!) ... but then when I finished I had "i told you so" from people when I developed gall stones and had to have my gall bladder out (i have no regrets about the diet part.. it changed my life).. Now I'm in a different job and it wouldn't even occur to me to tell many people.. i don't normally tell people what food I'm eating (outside of home) so I'm not doing now.. unless it crops up eg someone staying over or us visiting friends......

I've not told anybody that i'm on CD other than my mum, sister & partner.

Only my partner and my mum know and I have told them I want it kept shhhh!
Don't want my partners mum to know as she has an opinion on everything and after telling me I'm daft for being on meal replacement she would probably want to know the cost of it and have head shaking and tutting session to make me feel guilty, then she'd casually manage to tell everyone about it argh!
Nope this is my secret and that's how I want it to stay!

I'm starting the CWP on Saturday and I'm not telling a single soul about it except my husband who's really supportive. I just find that people make ignorant remarks that are annoying at best and discouraging at worst. They don't know much about the diet and pull out outlandish comments that make my head spin! Not worth it! I need all the focus I can get while I'm on this difficult diet and I don't want what I eat (or not eat) to be the topic of every conversation!

Haha I tell everyone too. There's something satisfying about being able to tell people why this diet is a good thing. I researched it and it works for me so sod what anyone else thinks.

So far, I've only told the people who are really close to me. I just don't trust myself right now (not to not stick with it but to not cry and feel stupid) and I know I couldn't take the comments they make, I'm not strong enough to fend them off yet.

I'm only on day one but have done this diet before and the only reason it didn't work for me was me not following through after losing some of the weight. I stuffed myself silly and you know it took alot of eating the wrong foods before it really piled on again.

It's taken me a long time to realise that I'm doing this for me and that I am worth a healthy body and I do deserve this so for anyone to knock what I'm doing in any way would just make me question myself.

I'm so surprised by some of the posts though for what people have had to say or have had said to them. It's so cheeky of some people. I do understand people are skeptical if they haven't heard of it before but I don't understand them saying you'll gain all the weight after. If they've never heard of it how would they know? Yes I b****y will if I don't realise this is a life choice the same as any diet out there. If I follow the diet as I'm supposed to, that won't happen.

Oops that turned into a little rant, lol. We're worth it and deserve this for us and no-one else. Don't tell or tell all, whatever works for you.

Good luck to me and everyone. Your really all very inspiring.

C xxx

I avoided telling people at 1st out of some sort of embarassment I guess, but found that the more people I told, the more accountable it made me to myself in terms of sticking to the diet. E.g. I told my housemate straight away = made it easier to stick out the 1st week cuz she knew I was doing it.
I'm lucky in that I've got some really supportive people - my mum has done it and is fully supporting me. I've told a couple of close work friends cuz I go out with them and usually eat and drink - so i kinda had to explain why i suddenly wasn't!!! some people are skeptical - i just explain a bit about ketosis, how i feel better than i have for ages, how i'm getting my full quota of vits and mins and how my doc is behind me - that usually shuts people up!
i must say, some of you have inspired me to be a bit more assertive and not let others' opinions affect me - i'll bloody well do whatever diet i want!

I love that last sentence. Good for you xxxxx

I avoided telling people at 1st out of some sort of embarassment I guess, but found that the more people I told, the more accountable it made me to myself in terms of sticking to the diet. E.g. I told my housemate straight away = made it easier to stick out the 1st week cuz she knew I was doing it.
I'm lucky in that I've got some really supportive people - my mum has done it and is fully supporting me. I've told a couple of close work friends cuz I go out with them and usually eat and drink - so i kinda had to explain why i suddenly wasn't!!! some people are skeptical - i just explain a bit about ketosis, how i feel better than i have for ages, how i'm getting my full quota of vits and mins and how my doc is behind me - that usually shuts people up!
i must say, some of you have inspired me to be a bit more assertive and not let others' opinions affect me - i'll bloody well do whatever diet i want!

Back