O/T : Flu Jab

Discussion in 'Slimming World Off Topic' started by bobbedazzler, 1 December 2009 Social URL.

1. bobbedazzler

bobbedazzler Full Member

Apparently I'm now 'entitled' to a flu jab (due to some bizarre kidney thing I have) and I'm booked in for a week on Thursday.

I've heard that the side effects from this aren't particularly pleasant ....... anyone had it done and care to share their experience??

Also, been told I can have swine flu jab too ....... anyone had that yet?

Thanks, Jo x

2. Avatar

MiniMins.com Matched Content

3. miss jelly tot

miss jelly tot CWP Consultant

Start Weight:
    13st12lb
    Diet:
    CWP
    Hi there I had my swine flu last week. I stood with around 200 pensioners in a queue at the doctors! When I went in it didnt hurt at all (and I hate injections.) It ached for a few days after when I lifted my arm but thats it. I would rather have achey arm than piggy flu x

4. bobbedazzler

bobbedazzler Full Member

Oh right, crackin'! A bit like tetanus jab then? (Only that hurts at the time too! .... or at least mine did! lol)

Recently sliced my thumb open and had to have stitches ...... the blooming tetanus hurt more than the stitching! lol

Have you had the 'normal' flu jab too? Do you get flu-like symptoms following that one?

Thanks, Jo x

5. Circes

Circes Strutting her stuff

Start Weight:
    17st12lb
    Current Weight:
    10st7lb
    Lost(%):
    7st5lb(41.2%)
    Badges:
    Maintainer
    Diet:
    Slimming World
    No you don't get flu symptoms - that's an old wives tale. The virus they use to give you immunity isn't live so no symptoms. My arm ached a bit because it was the first flu jab I've not but not that much and it didn't last long.

As you say if you're in the priority group for seasonal flu vaccinations then you are also eligible for swine flu vaccination and it is important to have both of them. The swine flu jab doesn't give you immunity to normal flu and vice versa. :)

6. Donnie46

Donnie46 Slow but sure....

Start Weight:
    22st0lb
    Current Weight:
    19st7lb
    Goal Weight:
    10st0lb
    Lost(%):
    2st7lb(11.36%)
    Diet:
    Slimming World - Green Days only.
    I've had a swine flu and a seasonable flu jab recently, and all I had was two sore arms and I felt very tired and lethargic, and I have to have another swine flu jab next week, so I hope I feel the same with that one.

Good luck with your jab Fern. X

7. bobbedazzler

bobbedazzler Full Member

Thanks, I'll make sure I speak to the Nurse whilst I'm there about the swine flu jab. Jo x

8. jaylou

jaylou Gold Member

I was invited for both flu and swine flu jabs and refused them both.
    I can't remember when I last had "proper" flu (not just a sniffle) so decided I'd rather not have the jab. As for swine flu, my personal opinion is that they don't seem to have had much time to research this vaccine so I'm a bit against it. I know they wouldn't release it if it wasn't okay but I still don't feel I need it and I sure as heck don't need to feel rubbish and lethargic (well any more than I normally do!)

9. bobbedazzler

bobbedazzler Full Member

Jaylou, I'm dithering a bit about the swine flu jab tbh because of the same reasons you say ..... however, I'm all for the seasonal flu jab.

I've had a couple of bad bouts of flu the last two years and have ended up with labyrinthitis afterwards as a kind of 'follow on' both times ....... and it's just nasty! lol

Will deffo speak to the nurse about it all next week.

xx

10. eternity

eternity Gold Member

Start Weight:
    16st6lb
    Current Weight:
    9st6lb
    Goal Weight:
    9st6lb
    Lost(%):
    7st0lb(42.61%)
    Badges:
    Maintainer
    Diet:
    SW
    I had the seasonal flu jab a few weeks ago with no ill effects.
    i haven't been offered the swine flu jab, but I would have it if I am offered it.

11. missclare85

missclare85 Silver Member

Start Weight:
    17st3lb
    Current Weight:
    11st10lb
    Goal Weight:
    10st0lb
    Lost(%):
    5st7lb(31.95%)
    Diet:
    Slimming World
    I had both the normal flu jab and swine flu! i was fine after both just a really sore arm but it was fine about 4 days later!! hope this helps xx

12. Littleslimmingbee

Littleslimmingbee Gold Member

Start Weight:
    14st13lb
    Current Weight:
    14st13lb
    Goal Weight:
    10st0lb
    Lost(%):
    0st0lb(0%)
    Diet:
    SW

did we get confused as to who posted this thread? lol

xx

13. Roz V

Roz V Full Member

Diet:
    Slimming World
    I had the seasonal flu jab a while back, with absolutely no ill effects whatsoever - have had it for several years now, with no problems at all.

Haven't been offered the swine flu one - yet...

14. avisk

avisk xx

Diet:
    Slimming World
    I am on the high risk list because I had heart problems ten years ago and have had two angioplasties. So I get the seasonal flu jab every year. Slightly sore arm for a couple of days, then that's it.

I had the swine flu jab this year. It hurt a little bit when injected but not a problem. My arm was more uncomfortable than with the seasonal flu one, and the discomfort lasted a bit longer.

I had the swine flu jab on a Friday, on Saturday I was at the gym doing a modified routine (but I did manage pressups!), and by the time I got to my tai chi class on the following Tuesday I had no problems at all lifting my arm.

No other side effects at all.

(A couple of years ago I had the pneumonia jab. Now that really did knock me out for a couple of days. Worth it though, and it lasts for ever so you don't have to keep repeating it.)

15. Toots

Toots Gold Member

Diet:
    Exante
    Old wives tale? I wish!!!

I had the swine flu jab last tuesday and am just starting to feel human

Tired - exhausted all wanted to do was sleep
    Extremely sore throat (bordering on tonsillitis in intensity)
    High temp
    Cough
    Blocked nostril (just the one not both)
    Achey
    Sore skin (even hair hurt)
    Arm at injection point very very sore

My mum and Auntie were fine though - I was obviously just unlucky so don't let my experience put you off - I would still have it again coz if that was the mild version................

16. avisk

avisk xx

Diet:
    Slimming World
    I was told by the nurse that I might get mild flu symptoms, but obviously I was very lucky.

17. jaylou

jaylou Gold Member

In the documentation I got it said it will not give you symptoms as it is not a live vaccine. Coincidence maybe?

Popular Forums
  1. MiniMins.com is a weight loss support community helping each other on their weight loss journey. We have a multitude of forums, from Slimming World and Exante, to Success Stories. Click the logo at the top right to return to the forum home page at any time.