O/T Hay fever?!

Discussion in 'Slimming World' started by kelly_333_333, 1 July 2009 Social URL.

1. kelly_333_333

kelly_333_333 Kelly Manton

Start Weight:
    19st4lb
    Current Weight:
    14st9lb
    Goal Weight:
    10st0lb
    Lost(%):
    4st9lb(24.07%)
    I was wondering if you guys might be able to help? Not sure If I have a cold or maybe hayfever?!

I don't have itchy eyes and I am not sneezing but I've been really itchy deep inside the ear, palate, back of nose/throat but only on the right side. Very itchy in the entrance of my nostril and feel a bit bunged up. My chest keeps feeling a little tight (I don't suffer with asthma) and feel generally a little unwell. Yesterday I also had itchy skin on my face, mainly around my nose and mouth.
    I don't have a sore throat either.

I've avoided going to the docs, don't want to make a fuss if it is something I can just rest through.

Any ideas?!

2. Avatar

MiniMins.com Matched Content

3. Sticky

Sticky I will succeed!!!

Start Weight:
    13st3lb
    Current Weight:
    12st8.5lb
    Goal Weight:
    10st0lb
    Lost(%):
    0st8.5lb(4.59%)
    Diet:
    Slimming World
    Apparently, hayfever works in an 11 years cycel (something to do with pollen). I never got it when I was really young, but started a few years ago (I say a few, maybe 8) and it got worse each year and now seems less than last year (this is how I found out about the theory that it changes over time and works in cycles lol).

People suffer in different ways and to different pollens. Go to the Dr and see - it might be one or the other, or neither. It's worth checking out in case.

xxx

miss jelly tot likes this.
  4. eye6769

eye6769 Vegetarian who lives2eat

Goal Weight:
    11st0lb
    Diet:
    SW
    It sounds like hayfever,mine is at its worse this year,try taking a antihistamine and see if it clears up,you should see results in about half an hour.

5. Mookey

Mookey Full Member

Diet:
    Slimming World
    The itchiness sounds like hayfever. I only started suffering with it in 2006.
    I use anti-histamines to make mine more bearable.

6. Frontier-Phil

Frontier-Phil Silver Member

Diet:
    SW-Red
    Yep sounds like it !!! I get grass and fax hayfever, mainly the worst time of the year is now. because of my job I don't use I use the non drowsy from TESCO brand. I find this better than the more expensive brands. I suffer from bad itchy eyes, so use OPTICROME over the counter drops again really very good.

You need to know what type of hayfever you get, as there as a number. It could be that you are only allergic to the grass spores that I very high at the mo. or it could be a number of different ones .

Phil x

7. kelly_333_333

Start Weight:
    19st4lb
    Current Weight:
    14st9lb
    Goal Weight:
    10st0lb
    Lost(%):
    4st9lb(24.07%)
    Thank you everyone!

I'm going to try some antihistamines and see if it helps at all. I've never suffered with it before and found it strange that I had no sneezing or bothersome eyes but then I know allergy's affect people in all sorts of ways.

I hope anyone else suffering aren't having a too hard time with it?

I'll be sure to let you guys know how I get on, going to send my partner off to asda/sainsbury's now hehe!

8. kelly_333_333

Start Weight:
    19st4lb
    Current Weight:
    14st9lb
    Goal Weight:
    10st0lb
    Lost(%):
    4st9lb(24.07%)
    Tablet taken, fingers crossed!!

9. miss jelly tot

miss jelly tot CWP Consultant

Start Weight:
    13st12lb
    Diet:
    CWP
    OMG:eek::eek::eek:! Ive suffered with it really badly since 1998, so bad I had an operation 2 years ago to help. This year I have been so much better and only taken a few tablets this year, instead of one a day! It's dead on 11 years! I so hope this is true and proven:D as next year may look good too.

10. kelly_333_333

Start Weight:
    19st4lb
    Current Weight:
    14st9lb
    Goal Weight:
    10st0lb
    Lost(%):
    4st9lb(24.07%)
    Well I got some claratyn which helped a little, but today I couldn't stand it anymore my chest was so tight and uncomfortable. I ended up getting an emergency appointment at the hospital and it seems I have asthma because of the weather!

I've now got a sabutimol inhaler and need to take it 4 times a day. it won't stay with me but i do hope it is the only summer that courses it!

11. HellieCopter

HellieCopter Gold Member

Start Weight:
    13st2.5lb
    Current Weight:
    10st9lb
    Goal Weight:
    9st10lb
    Lost(%):
    2st7.5lb(19.24%)
    Diet:
    Slimming World
    Ah, well glad you've got it sorted!

My hayfever only started developing a few years ago and it's been getting gradually worse. This year it's worse than ever! I have to take double doses sometimes! LOL!

For me, I have found that the one a day tablets and the supermarket own brands don't really do it for me. The piriteze max are ok, but Benadryl have launched a new tablet with a different active ingredient in it. Acrastravine or something like that. It's worked best for me this summer, in combination with beconaze nasal spray and eye drops. I'm probably totally overdosing on hayfever drugs but I don't care. Anything to stop the itching!!!

12. *Sally Cinnamon*

*Sally Cinnamon* Full Member

Start Weight:
    18st12lb
    Current Weight:
    17st10lb
    Goal Weight:
    13st0lb
    Lost(%):
    1st2lb(6.06%)
    Strangely, I find that putting vaseline on my nostrils stops it quite a bit

xx

13. KittyB

KittyB Gold Member

Diet:
    RC
    LOL thats exactly what I'm doing too :)
    The Vaseline is a good trick too :)

14. Frontier-Phil

Frontier-Phil Silver Member

Diet:
    SW-Red
    I used to rub vasaline on my thighs when I played rugby....

Phil x

15. judimac

judimac Mad old Bat with Attitude

Start Weight:
    14st5lb
    Diet:
    WW
    That vision will stay with me for quite a while! :eek:

My 11 year cycle has lasted for over 30 years! Some are worse than others. I start with the tree pollen, if it's a wet spring I'm not too bad.But it sensitises me for the rest of the year. I have one of the machines from a well known chemist that you put the probes up your nostrils and it shines red light up them. It looks very fetching! Abit like Coco the Clown! I bought it last year but came down with a sinus infection a couple of days later and I haven't tried it since! They also sell ionisers which are half price at the moment, I think I might get one of those.

16. ronniejacobs

ronniejacobs Gold Member

Start Weight:
    15st11lb
    Current Weight:
    15st4lb
    Goal Weight:
    11st11lb
    Lost(%):
    0st7lb(3.17%)
    Diet:
    Slimming World
    one remedy i have also heard (will have to use some syns tho) is every day try to put some local honey into your diet and you will become immune to the local pollen and your hayfever will go

Popular Forums
  1. MiniMins.com is a weight loss support community helping each other on their weight loss journey. We have a multitude of forums, from Slimming World and Exante, to Success Stories. Click the logo at the top right to return to the forum home page at any time.