Oatbran - How do you eat yours??

Lou86

Hi all
I was wondering if you could give me some tips on how to include the oatbran into my diet. Preferably really quick ways. As I havn't used it before.

Thank you xx

i've been doing oatbran bread! i missed out the wheat bran ingredient as tesco didn't have it, and it's been great and allowed! 1 egg, 2 egg whites, beaten with 3 tbsp ff yoghurt, 2tbsp oatbran, yeast. All mixed then about 4 mins in microwave!! love it- just like bread but dukan friendly!! x

Deli! Thanks for your timely post! Just made it with the 1 T bran cause I do have it. I was sceptical, but it is very bread like. Also used two whole eggs, so very yellow, but after three and a half bread less days, this is pretty dang close. It's also very filling! Not sure I could eat it all in one sitting butbwill spread it out.

Did it without seasonings and can see how it could go sweet or savory. Will try adding in zucchini or squash sometime. For now, used a tad of tolerated chipotle queso fresco cheese.

Usually I add oat bran, water, dry nf milk powder, cinnamon and sf sweetener. Let sit for ten minutes or longer. Zap in mw for an oatmeal like treat.

Unfortunately the quick ways are rarely the best and, for me, it's muffins all the way... I make 12 muffins at a time (4 days worth), and they freeze well if you care to make two batches at the weekend, and they also are easy to transport (for breakfast if, like me, you eat it at work! or when travelling).

The base recipe is as for the galette (in Cruise 2 x tablespoons oatbran, 1 egg (separated), 1 tablespoon quark or fat free fromage frais and then it's up to you whether you sweeten it, or have it savoury. I have a sweet tooth off Dukan so I keep mine savoury to try to retrain myself. I put a couple of pieces of smoked salmon in each, or other smoked fish, or surimi... This recipe makes three muffins per day, so I quadruple it.
Gas mark 6°, 200°C for 20-30 mins (depending on your oven... if fan assisted, 20 probably).

On page 1 of the recipe thread, at the bottom, there's a picture!

Mixing into yoghurt or from frais is the simplest but muffins are good, and Im having a galette phase since I discovered I could make them ok!

Also porridge- just mix with water & milk & a pinch salt and some sweetener if you want, zap in microwave for 30 secs, stir, then zap for further 30secs and hey presto, breakfast oatbran porridge.

Other ways are to use as coating for chicken or fish like breadcrumbs - pretend kfc!

Joydriven said:
Deli! Thanks for your timely post! Just made it with the 1 T bran cause I do have it. I was sceptical, but it is very bread like. Also used two whole eggs, so very yellow, but after three and a half bread less days, this is pretty dang close. It's also very filling! Not sure I could eat it all in one sitting butbwill spread it out.

Did it without seasonings and can see how it could go sweet or savory. Will try adding in zucchini or squash sometime. For now, used a tad of tolerated chipotle queso fresco cheese.

Usually I add oat bran, water, dry nf milk powder, cinnamon and sf sweetener. Let sit for ten minutes or longer. Zap in mw for an oatmeal like treat.

My first were like cooked egg at the bottom cause I didn't mix it well! They're great now, I make them in cake trays so I get 6 bite sized ones a day. Had them for lunch yesterday, didn't bother seasoning at all. I've never made the galette well, it was horrible so I've ignored it since. Think different things suit different folk, I'm quite happy to make those in under 10mins in the morning to take to work! Quick, easy, tasty and dukan friendly!

Muffins are definitely my favourite. Lots of different ways to flavour them - savoury or sweet. I like that I can spread them out through the day too, a couple at breakfast with some yoghurt to get me going and then the others as snacks throughout the day. They're a lifesaver when travelling too, which I do frequently for work. Yesterday for instance I sat with a bunch of my project engineers with my muffins and a diet coke while they tucked into fish and chips. Mine was definitely better though!

Im definatly going to try the muffins, poridge & bread. I'm really missing sandwiches at the moment so I think I will have a dukan sarnie this afternoon. Thanks for all your sugestions xxxx

I do all sorts of flavours of muffins, sweet & savoury gallettes ... savoury are great with quark & smoked salmon folded like a pitta bread. porridge is anouther quickie :)

yep ive had extra light philly on it on occasion

You can swap for extra lite philly but just sparingly I think! I could not do Dukan without my daily batch of muffins but seeing the bread recipe I may give it a go and see how it turns out!!!! Would have to be great for me to give up the muffins though!!!

Back