Observation re exercise & APs, thoughts?

JuicyMango

I have recently started running, and I'm hooked!

Last night I ran my first 5k (yayyy!!) in 38 mins, then put it in my iPhone tracker, & realised it was the same amount of APs as 2 weeks earlier, when I had run 4k in a similar time - surely that can't be right??

A friend of mine who is a v experienced runner can do 10k in 40 mins, pretty sure that would be more than 6 APs...?!

only sure way of knowing how much you've burned is a good heart rate monitor and strap.
i have a polar one and it has thrown up a few surprises .
weightwatchers has never released how many calories per AP, some are still doing 100 calories like the other system and some 70 calories per AP.

well done on you're running :)

Well done on your running, it's a great feeling isn't it? It depends on how hard you ahve worked rather than what you actually do. So as youg et used to it, you will burn less and earn less APs. It is feasible that you earn the sme APs for 5k as for 4k, if it took you the same amount of time, because as your body has got used to what it does, it becomes easier and so you burn less.

Does that mske sense?

I don't specifically count my APs but I do 10k in 55 minutes and I wouldn't give myself more than 4AP for that. My 5k takes 25 minutes and if I recall correctly is 2AP.

it is all about how hard you work for how long (and your weight) not what you actually do. And as pointed out, your body gets used to levels of exercise so although you may run further in the same time, you'll burn about the same amount of calories.

Last edited:
Hmm yeah I was thinking about level of effort this afternoon actually, I guess it's all about intensity, as I probably took 40 mins to do a 3k run the first time I ever ran and God that was soooo hard!

Crooked Smile, according to WW, 25 mins of running is 4 AP & 55 mins is 9 AP, just FYI. I guess for you it depends how much effort it takes though... I hope to be as fast as you one day! :)

JuicyMango said:
Hmm yeah I was thinking about level of effort this afternoon actually, I guess it's all about intensity, as I probably took 40 mins to do a 3k run the first time I ever ran and God that was soooo hard!

Crooked Smile, according to WW, 25 mins of running is 4 AP & 55 mins is 9 AP, just FYI. I guess for you it depends how much effort it takes though... I hope to be as fast as you one day! :)

I weigh 10 stone and count it as moderate intensity, so unfortunately I don't get anywhere near those amounts of AP, I get as I stated before. I don't think you could really count running as high intensity unless you were really out of breath, in which case you wouldn't be running effectively. But that's just my opinion.

~Crooked Smile~ said:
I weigh 10 stone and count it as moderate intensity, so unfortunately I don't get anywhere near those amounts of AP, I get as I stated before. I don't think you could really count running as high intensity unless you were really out of breath, in which case you wouldn't be running effectively. But that's just my opinion.

So what would you say is high intensity then? I weigh 10 stone too and running is most definitely high intensity for me, no doubt. But then I've only been at it a few weeks.

Just been reading this: http://www.weightwatchers.co.uk/uti...subnav=Science+Library:+Exercise+and+Activity - and now I want a heart rate monitor! But looking at the physical signs, for me, running is definitely high, and Zumba moderate, which is how I've been tracking them. Off to look at HRMs :D

Yeah HRMs are great wee things, I'm terrible at remembering to put mine on though!

I wouldn't count anything other than sprinting as high intensity really. I believe if something was truly high intensity you wouldn't be able to keep it up for 10 minutes never mind 60. But I guess that doesn't fit with WW description as they give you values for 60 minutes of high! It's just the way I do it!

What she said!

I agree, if you read the description of high intensity, you couldn't keep that up for very long. Certainly not 30 to 40 minutes. You may beable to interval train, and so have 30 mintes but over a 2 hour work out

if you are familiar with heart rate monitors and cardiovascular HR/fat burning HR, that principle would be good to follow.

basically your 100% hr is 220-age

high intensity/cardiovascular is 80%+
medium intensity/fat burning is 65-70% (i think it might be 60-70 but not sure)

so for me I would have to have an average of at least 156 for the whole session to count it as high. My polar watch/hr monitor tells me my average hr and time of session so its pretty easy for me to calculate

gives a better benchmark for working out your points rather than a vague estimate based on wether you can talk or not lol :p

hannata said:
if you are familiar with heart rate monitors and cardiovascular HR/fat burning HR, that principle would be good to follow.

basically your 100% hr is 220-age

high intensity/cardiovascular is 80%+
medium intensity/fat burning is 65-70% (i think it might be 60-70 but not sure)

so for me I would have to have an average of at least 156 for the whole session to count it as high. My polar watch/hr monitor tells me my average hr and time of session so its pretty easy for me to calculate

gives a better benchmark for working out your points rather than a vague estimate based on wether you can talk or not lol :p

Totally agree - the control freak in me feels uncomfortable estimating this until I know for sure, lol! I neeeeed a HRM, just gotta convince the husband of that :D

Ok so I convinced the husband, the HRM was delivered today :D In fact he even used it before I did! Cheeky....

Anyway his MHR worked out at 182 but his average for the whole run (40 mins) was 186, & his max was 198!!! I've since Googled & apparently this is fine for a fit & healthy person to do.

Can't wait to see what mine is tomorrow :D

I think I'm going to become obsessed with this monitor!! I've just done 5.12km in 35 mins (3 mins better than last wk!). My max heart rate should be approx 190bpm, making my 80%+ 144bpm.

I've just checked the monitor, my average for the whole run was 185, & my max was 219!!! Is that bad?

When are you doing the GNR Crooked Smile?

I'm not sure on the hear rate, it doesn't sound that great to be going so far over your max does it? But I think the most important thing is how quickly it goes back down- if it stays high for a long time that's when you have to worry. Well done on your time though that's great!!

Doing it this year :) so only a few months to go! Excited but nervous too! Got the great north 10k this weekend so hopefully that goes well!

Hmm I agree - my HR was down to 120 within a couple of mins, & despite looking regularly, I never noticed my HR go over 200, so I think it may have been during the last 1m30s when I sprinted (which I don't normally do).

Lots of luck for tomorrow, I'd love to hear how it went! Xx

Hmm I agree - my HR was down to 120 within a couple of mins, & despite looking regularly, I never noticed my HR go over 200, so I think it may have been during the last 1m30s when I sprinted (which I don't normally do).

Lots of luck for tomorrow, I'd love to hear how it went! Xx

If it's settling again that quickly I wouldn't worry then, and yeah it probably was during a sprint! I always end on a sprint finish I love it :)

Thanks, it's actually tomorrow morning, but I'll let you know how it goes :) xx

Well this worries me! According to my pedometer I warned 6 points yesterday. All a di was walk with a bit of zumba. Does this mean this is not accurate?

melarnz said:
Well this worries me! According to my pedometer I warned 6 points yesterday. All a di was walk with a bit of zumba. Does this mean this is not accurate?

How long did you exercise for?

I am just driving back from the Great North 10k, got a new PB and under 54 minutes, am over the moon! So psyched for the Great North Run now!!

Back