OD'd on Dairy :(

Madison

Hi folks,
So over the last number of weeks I've been avoiding dairy except for having it as a treat on a Sunday. Reason for avoiding it was because I was overeating it big time and have been told on 2 separate occasions that I'm intolerant. Have been feeling quite ill with chest infection over last few days so yesterday I really needed my dairy treat and went, well, completely over board with it. Really it was a fat free natural yog and fromage frais binge! 1.5kg of dairy in the day. My God, but have I been paying for it since. Up throughout the night with basement issues and cramps. The cramps have only just started to ease now.

This is the first time since starting on the Dukan path 12 weeks ago that I have given in to the binge mentality has plagued me throughout my life. I am just putting it down to feeling rubbish yesterday and needing something other than more meat/chicken etc as was on a pp day. It has however reminded me of the way I used to feel every Monday morning after bingeing on carbs and the like over the weekends. I never want to feel this way again.

So back to dairy free for me. Wouldn't mind but during the week I don't miss it at all. Have to once again get out of the mind set of using food as a treat!

Sorry for rambling on, just needed to put it down here and share. Thanks for reading if you are x

Hi Madison

I have a similar story but with WINE!! Been Dukanning now for six weeks with not even the hint of a stray then, had the girls to dinner on Saturday and ended up drinking as I felt I was "missing out" and deserved a "treat" for being so good.

I wasn't missing out, of course and I had the world's worst hangover yesterday - Dr Dukan's revenge!!! :eek:

Lesson learned - stay on track, it's just not worth deviating! :D

Have a good day.

P x

Hi Pauline,
I haven't touched a drop of booze since starting this plan. Mainly due to the fact that I poisoned myself with red wine back at the end of January and have been scared still to drink since lol. The hangover from hell and beyond lasted nearly a full week. I've read people's stories on here after they've had a wee drop or two and thankfully have managed to stay off it thus far. Seems to really give bad hangovers.

Hope you're feeling much better now and yes you are right, it's def not worth straying off the plan.
Here's to a brand new week. Have a good Dukan day too :) x

Maybe you should give soya yoghurt/milk a try? I have UNSWEETENED soya milk and also plain soya yoghurt - still lose weight Dukan-wise. Wouldn't actually go back to cow's milk now as I like the taste more!

Thanks Caedonia,
I did eat the soy yogurt before and loved it, in fact much preferred it to normal dairy. Only problem being that they only seem to sell it in flippin 500g tubs also. This is where the problems start with me as once the pot is opened my spoon mysteriously keeps making it's way in until the tub is clean. However, maybe will have some as a Dukan treat sometime soon. Thanks again for the reply. Can I just say massive well done to you on your weigth loss. It's absolutely amazing. You must be sooooo chuffed. Could I just ask, if you don't mind...What kind of portions did you eat all the way through your weight loss? I've lost just over a stone at the moment but def feel it should be more. I've 1 stone 2 lbs left to go to target. I tend to eat alot of protein to be honest every day. Sometimes I feel, there's no way I could lose weight eating this much chicken, turkey and meat. Any tips greatly appreciated. Also did you use the soya yogurt the whole way through your weightloss? Sorry for all the questions :)

Don't worry about asking questions - it's what we are all here for. First - I started on soya yoghurt (must be plain) and unsweetened soya milk for my tea about a third of the way through my weight loss and have lost plenty since. Second, completely understand about the 500g tubs as I am the same if I'm not careful. I have found a brand "Sojade" at my local wholefoods shop that do 250g tubs so I buy them as once the pot is eaten I can resist opening another one. If I can't get the small tubs I buy a big tub and immediately repot into smaller tubs for the fridge.
Portions - I know it's very hard to get our heads round but seriously, the more protein we eat the better we lose - I eat loads, and have definitely noticed over the months that weeks when protein was lower/dairy a tad too high were weeks when weight loss was not good. If you truly are eating plenty of protein then you are doing the right thing. My husband lost 3 and 1/2 stone really well whilst I was there to make certain he was having enough protein but at the minute whilst we are apart he isn't and the only thing is NOT ENOUGH protein - I keep nagging but he struggles with cooking protein for himself (don't ask). Anything else, just ask :)

Hi Caledonia,
Thank you sooo much for taking the time to reply and you have put my mind at ease. I'll keep doing what I'm doing with the protein and stop stressing about the thoughts of eating too much!
Really good idea too about re-potting the yogurt from the larger tubs. I really can't stop with them once I've taken the lid off, straight in with the spoon till it's gone. I'll give that a go for sure.
Many thanks again, much appreciated and again well done, you're such an inspiration and your hubby too. xx

I'm a bit like you with the jelly... I made up a double sachet each time, cos it's quicker in the long run, but then have to portion it out into individual portions else I could easily scoff the lot in one sitting!

As for protein, eat to your heart's content. A little caution where salty packaged things are concerned but, if cooking yourself, feel free!

You won't lose amazingly quickly as you don't actually have that much to lose and your BMI isn't that far off normal... but it will come off if you persevere. Are there any other desserts you've tried rather than just the dairy?

Hi Joanne,
Thanks very much for your reply. I haven't really tried any other deserts. Have the same problem with the jelly too. Do manage to limit myself to the 3 portions per day though. I have a binge eating history so this is where I think my problem with dairy stems from. I'm an all or nothing kinda girl, I can do without the dairy but boy if it's there, well it's not there for very long. I have been thinking about my binge eating mentality this morning and am actually getting a little concerned that I haven't truly kicked it - even where protein is concerned. I know the good Doc says unlimited amounts and also so many others on here say eating lots of protein but sometimes I do feel that I'm probably eating too much. Allbeit of the good stuff. Whether this stems from my many years of deprivation on ww and the like I'm not sure. Anyhow, sorry for rambling on, thanks again for your advice. x

I too am struggling with this and always have since starting Dukan. I'm in France at the moment and buy fromage frais and fromage blanc in 1 kg tubs very cheaply I must add. I absolutely love sweetened dairy and along with making the oat bran cake and eating it sweetened, I have been going through 2 kg in a day some days. (I can no longer post a smiley)

Hey there Slim. It's tough isn't it. I could easily do 2 kg of dairy if I let myself. Mind you I haven't but at the rate I was eating it, it was only a matter of time!! I'm not suggesting you cut it out or anything as it's great to add variety for us, but it's what I've had to do :( had so much of the yum stuff last Sunday, lovely n all as it was at the time my poor tum really paid for it that night and half the next day. Really don't want to feel like that again. Now, if I can remember this feeling whilst hovering in the yogurt aisle in supermarket this Saturday is another thing :)

I found buying the asda small tubs of quark instead of a big tub of total stops me reaching for more, don't know if that's any help. I guess I don't want to open a second! It's cheaper too, and all tastes the same with sweetener! X

I eat my yoghurt frozen decanted into small pots about an inch thick of yoghurt. I probably eat about 10 of these a day made with different sweeteners and flavourings and it feels like a real treat especially in this weather. but probably only adds up to about 300g of dairy.

Hi there Slim, Will be in France for the Summer and am wondering if it's easy to get the 'low fat' yoghurt and if there are lots of flavours? Don't like Quark or fromage fraise, and use LF rather than FF in the yoghurt as it tastes a lot better. Still lost the weight and ahead of schedule!!!
Usually shop SuperU or eLec... ??

im also going to france in the summer but staying in hotels so panicking a bit about what im going to be able to eat. think im going to be packing lots of plastic cutlery to take out for the day with me lol

Someone posted a week or so ago (sorry, on phone so I can't search) about how accommodating France was for 'la regime'!

It is a French diet, after all, so hopefully it won't be too difficult.

Have fun!

P x

Hi, I have no problems here. But I buy fresh meat and chicken and cook it myself etc.. versus buying cooked deli type. As far as the yogurts they do have for example the variety packs of small flavoured yogurts with no fat and no sugar in a supermarket's own brand and also a brand name that I can't think of at the moment. I prefer (as already mentioned!) the fromage frais particularly Carrefour own brand and flavour it with sweetener and flavouring. Sometimes adding some of a flavoured yogurt to it.

Quark isn't available here but I have found in a LIDL near me a fromage blanc 0% (again in 1 kg tub!) is just like quark if I drain through a tea towel overnight.

The thing that I can't get here are goji berries, non fat chocolate powder like you can get in Tesco's and turkey bacon. So if you do eat these things regularly perhaps bring some with you.

P.S Wish I could change my forum name. :)

Im hoping to be able to possibly pick up a salad and some kind of meat during the day, maybe avoid breakfast in hotels as it looks like its mainly pastrys :( and have a yoghurt & oatbran, then dinner out in the evenings. is sweetner easy to pick up or just bring some with me ? if you can give me some brand names that would be fab as going to try very hard not to undo all my good work lol

Back