Oh dear...Hidden syns...

Discussion in 'Slimming World' started by Uphillstruggle, 16 December 2010 Social URL.

1. Uphillstruggle

Uphillstruggle Full Member

Start Weight:
    14st9lb
    Current Weight:
    14st0lb
    Goal Weight:
    10st10lb
    Lost(%):
    0st9lb(4.39%)
    Diet:
    Exante
    Hello again,
    Following on from my post this morning about not losing (in fact gaining!) the past two weeks, I decided to join the website and start doing an online food diary.

Wow! No wonder I have been unsuccessful!!! My group leader has been a little remiss in telling me some of the things which have syn values and I think that means I have maybe gone over syns on a lot more days than just the one I knew about.

I have been using the Uncle Ben's express long grain rice pouches, thinking they were free - actually 1 syn. Also the cheesecake muller lights - actually one syn, and my biggest mistake has been Quorn cocktail sausages (which I snack on LOADS) which are actually 1 syn for four - I thought they were free.

Now I know these things I may do a little better as I have all three of those things at least once a day (when on green) so have been having at least an extra 4 syns a day without realising!!! I even had the cherry muller lights a few times which are 2.5 syns each!

AHHHHHH!!!! So much for my group leader saying "All quorn, muller lights and rice is free". Guess I should have read my syn lists a few more times but these "hidden syns" are a bit confusing (I also had a week where I ate fresh pasta before realising - from this forum - that it was synned).

I'll be back on track now!! Are there any other hidden syns I should know about??

2. Avatar

MiniMins.com Matched Content

3. Happy Holidays

Happy Holidays Gold Member

Start Weight:
    9st11lb
    Current Weight:
    8st9lb
    Goal Weight:
    8st9lb
    Lost(%):
    1st2lb(11.68%)
    Badges:
    Maintainer
    Diet:
    Slimming World
    Brilliant post.

This is why when people are not losing we always ask them to check what they are eating & the syn value, free foods etc & let us have a look at their diary.

4. Circes

Circes Strutting her stuff

Start Weight:
    17st12lb
    Current Weight:
    10st7lb
    Lost(%):
    7st5lb(41.2%)
    Badges:
    Maintainer
    Diet:
    Slimming World
    Aah! Well better to find out now than a lot later! BUt really 4 syns is not a lot - only 80 calories and not enough to add a pound across a week

You really need to read the labels - look for hidden sugar\oils\thickeners

Some frozen fruit has added sugar and so it not syn free
    Ready to cook noodles with added oil to stop it sticking
    Fat free does not necessarily equal syn free in yoghurts as they can add sugar instead

5. natasha1974

natasha1974 Silver Member

Start Weight:
    20st1lb
    Current Weight:
    16st7.5lb
    Goal Weight:
    11st0lb
    Lost(%):
    3st7.5lb(17.62%)
    Diet:
    slimming world
    i didnt know cherry muller lights had syns !!!!

6. Circes

Circes Strutting her stuff

Start Weight:
    17st12lb
    Current Weight:
    10st7lb
    Lost(%):
    7st5lb(41.2%)
    Badges:
    Maintainer
    Diet:
    Slimming World
    Only the one with the cherry fruit layer so dont panic! The plain cherry one is syn free!

7. chocolate_bananas

chocolate_bananas Silver Member

Start Weight:
    12st10.5lb
    Current Weight:
    10st10.5lb
    Goal Weight:
    9st9lb
    Lost(%):
    2st0lb(15.69%)
    Diet:
    SW
    The cheesecake yoghurt got me too :p

8. 3106Catherine

3106Catherine Silver Member

Start Weight:
    15st10lb
    Current Weight:
    12st9lb
    Goal Weight:
    11st7lb
    Lost(%):
    3st1lb(19.55%)
    Diet:
    Slimming World Red Days/SP
    I thought quorn cocktail sausages were free, good job I read this pre Xmas buffet!!

9. *Emsie*

*Emsie* Gold Member

Diet:
    Slimming World from home
    Best to check and make sure with the things you eat so you know. Theres lots of things that can catch us out on the way!
    I actually thought the quorn cocktail sausages were more than that might give them a try!

10. Claireybella

Claireybella Gold Member

Start Weight:
    16st2lb
    Current Weight:
    15st11.5lb
    Goal Weight:
    13st7lb
    Lost(%):
    0st4.5lb(1.99%)
    Diet:
    SW
    I alwaes check syn values on anything that's new to me, just in case. And check how much it is per syn too, as in weight, pre-cooked, whole packet etc, cos that's caught me out a few times too

11. lottie3289

lottie3289 Full Member

Start Weight:
    16st3lb
    Current Weight:
    11st8.5lb
    Goal Weight:
    11st0lb
    Lost(%):
    4st8.5lb(28.41%)
    Diet:
    Slimming World
    Ditto with the cheesecake yoghurt!

12. geordie_lass21

geordie_lass21 Silver Member

Start Weight:
    10st10.5lb
    Current Weight:
    10st0lb
    Goal Weight:
    9st6lb
    Lost(%):
    0st10.5lb(6.98%)
    Badges:
    Maintainer
    Diet:
    Slimming World
    i was so ill last week with a cough.... i know a cough doesnt sound much but it was constant and i was coughing up mucas (sory tmi). in the end i got some disgusting tasting cough medicine....

i stayed the same this week and was a bit surprised as other than a meal where i was really sensible with my choices and skipped desert and hardly drank. when i told my consultant she said that a tsp of cough medicine is 2 syns.... and i had 2 teaspoons several times a day. (thats 8-12 syns on top of my normal syns).

i wouldnt mind if it was nice tasting but it was disgusting!

13. Purple_Star

Purple_Star Silver Member

Start Weight:
    20st0lb
    Current Weight:
    12st11lb
    Goal Weight:
    11st7lb
    Lost(%):
    7st3lb(36.07%)
    Diet:
    Slimming World
    If it helped that I wouldn't worry, its best not to consider syms in medicine, I am surprised she even told you that tbh! Generally when you aren't well you eat less, so should even out. Meds are more important!

14. funcurls

funcurls Never gets tired of SW!

Goal Weight:
    10st10lb
    Badges:
    Maintainer
    Diet:
    Slimming World
    Hiya hun, we all do it, assume that things are free, or at least lower than we expected, which is unfortunately why it's a good idea to check EVERYTHING if we're remotely unsure! It does take time to learn what's what, and even for those of us who have been at it for a long time SW change things regularly so it's vital to keep our ear to the ground! Watch out in 2011 as they do tend to change things annually! Oh well, you haven't lost out, just see it as a learning curve and now you know you won't make the same mistakes and I expect knowing will help you getter great losses!X

15. jojogonnabeslim

jojogonnabeslim Gold Member

Start Weight:
    18st10.0lb
    Current Weight:
    11st11lb
    Goal Weight:
    11st3lb
    Lost(%):
    6st13lb(37.02%)
    Diet:
    Slimming world
    Its not just syns............I've been caught out with HEA/B ,bloody phillidelphia cheese!!!! grrrr lol In case you don't know, not only is it not an A choice but only a B on green!

I'm not even going to think about medicine i had 4 bottles last wk but still lost 3 lbs i'm sure it will catch up with me though this wk but i was ill so why worry!

Popular Forums
  1. MiniMins.com is a weight loss support community helping each other on their weight loss journey. We have a multitude of forums, from Slimming World and Exante, to Success Stories. Click the logo at the top right to return to the forum home page at any time.