Oh no!!! I've had a binge!!

Michele-

Why do I do it? 9 days of being totally 100% on plan and then from nowhere.... approx 32 syns of rubbish finds its way wolfed down in a few minutes!

I think we have all done that at one point.just draw a line under it and get straight back on plan.don't let one binge ruin ur sucess.also don't beat urself up.we r only human x

Why do I do it? 9 days of being totally 100% on plan and then from nowhere.... approx 32 syns of rubbish finds its way wolfed down in a few minutes!

Don't worry Michele. I have just had a binge which consisted of two huge bowls of rice krispies with sugar, three slices of toast with butter and two full boxes of coco pops cereal bars (two boxes!!!). I think there are six bars in each box. This was on top of my tea of poached eggs on toast and 2 rich tea biscuits!!. I really do have binge eating disorder and wish to god, I could really find a way to stop. I have just reduced the amount of episodes ie once per week instead of it going on for weeks and months!!

Hi Binge eater
thanks for your reply, its nice to know there are other people like me! im pleased you have managed to restrict it to once a week now, well done.

I am complete binger! I don't know why I do it. Sometimes I don't even feel hungry. I can eat so much and not even feel ill afterwards! Why do we do it to ourselves?!
I have started painting my nails when I get the urge to binge and it takes my mind off of it. Then I have something nice to look at and feel nice when I do them x

I am complete binger! I don't know why I do it. Sometimes I don't even feel hungry. I can eat so much and not even feel ill afterwards! Why do we do it to ourselves?!
I have started painting my nails when I get the urge to binge and it takes my mind off of it. Then I have something nice to look at and feel nice when I do them x

I dont want to bring the science into it but because there are so many of us, i have to. I really think that when our serotonin levels are low in the brain (this is why anti depressants are given to replace serotonin (happy hormone) that we eat and this replaces and increases the levels of this hormone which makes us feel happy again if only for a short period. This is why so many people with eating issues, you will notice also suffer depression. It goes hand in hand.

Im no scientist but it really goes beyond greed. Who wants to be overweight??. Binge eating is so prevalent that there is definetely another explanation.

I also had a bit of a binge - was disappointed with my loss at today's WI so came home and ate an entire bag of twirl bites. Felt happy when I was eating them but now feel sick and guilty so I'd say your scientific reasoning must be right. If only fruit had the same effect on our hormones ;-)

I also had a bit of a binge - was disappointed with my loss at today's WI so came home and ate an entire bag of twirl bites. Felt happy when I was eating them but now feel sick and guilty so I'd say your scientific reasoning must be right. If only fruit had the same effect on our hormones ;-)

Fruit just does not have the fat and calories that give us the feel good factor like a good lump of cake, choc or pastry and crisps, lol.

I know how you feel, poppybibby, as when I got really stressed with all the kids issues the other day, I had a ridiculous binge. Between bullying in relation to the kids, bills and trying to get finances sorted before going back to uni, I lost the plot!!!

I have a big problem with binge eating, I scare myself sometimes with how out of control I feel :( I am new to SW and am hoping that being actually allowed to eat will help. I have done VLCDs in the past and I have been trying and failing on one for the last couple of months which has resulted in some awful bingeing. Don't beat yourself up... it's so hard xxxx

Me too, I seem to be having a week of it. Stressful times at work lead me every night to more and more eating of things like crisps, wine, chocolate. So hard!

I am going stock up on syn free and low syn food this morning after work. Then if that feeling creeps over me, I can think 'I had 2 bananas, a punnet of strawberries and 2 cans of diet coke' not 'I ate a massive dairy milk all to myself' ;-)

I have always had a bad relationship with food for as long as I can remember, just wish I knew how to over come it :-( x

I had hypnotherapy to deal with my binge eating disorder. It's an eating disorder, a compulsion and the uk is a little behind the states in recognising it along the same lines as anorexia and bulimia. It's essentially viewed as the binge without the purge of throwing up.

I'm not for a second saying that everyone who had a binge sometimes has this. I did however, I read up on it and the symptoms and description could have been me. Secret eating to excess, eating blindly and not tasting it, not really enjoying it and feeling absolutely terrible after and yet unable to escape the cycle. It's called binge eating disorder or compulsive overeating disorder. If anyone feels they fit the criteria I would urge you to get some outside support. Try your gp first (but in my experience they try and get you to pill pop with anti depressants and I wasn't going down that route) and outside of that there are experts that can assist. Hypnotherapy worked for me and I am happier in myself and have not had a binge cycle for months.

Having a a blow out for congratulations, commiserations etc isn't the same. I can still do this and now no longer see it as a slippery slope. I know slimming world will get me there :)

I had hypnotherapy to deal with my binge eating disorder. It's an eating disorder, a compulsion and the uk is a little behind the states in recognising it along the same lines as anorexia and bulimia. It's essentially viewed as the binge without the purge of throwing up.

I'm not for a second saying that everyone who had a binge sometimes has this. I did however, I read up on it and the symptoms and description could have been me. Secret eating to excess, eating blindly and not tasting it, not really enjoying it and feeling absolutely terrible after and yet unable to escape the cycle. It's called binge eating disorder or compulsive overeating disorder. If anyone feels they fit the criteria I would urge you to get some outside support. Try your gp first (but in my experience they try and get you to pill pop with anti depressants and I wasn't going down that route) and outside of that there are experts that can assist. Hypnotherapy worked for me and I am happier in myself and have not had a binge cycle for months.

Having a a blow out for congratulations, commiserations etc isn't the same. I can still do this and now no longer see it as a slippery slope. I know slimming world will get me there :)

Wow this sounds so like me, thanks for sharing your experience. Was the hypnotherapy purely for the bingeing or related to overall approach to weight management? I'm currently using a weight loss hypnotherapy cd, which is great for keeping me focused, but still hasn't addressed the bingeing tendencies, and therefore I fall into this trap at least once a month (mindless eating to the point of feeling sick, often following an emotional trigger of some sort). It's frustrating being aware of it but still feeling quite powerless to stop it x

Not just me then?!!!!

I'm ok until I have that first biscuit then it just gets ridiculous. I'm sure its because I think "right I'll just have the whole packet then thats it for the week". If I could only be normal and eat 1 or 2 with my coffee I wouldnt need to be at SW in the bloody first place I'm sure! Its the same with crisps - 1 bag then I'm like "diet wrecked for today so I' may aswell have 3 more bags"!!

Not just me then?!!!!

I'm ok until I have that first biscuit then it just gets ridiculous. I'm sure its because I think "right I'll just have the whole packet then thats it for the week". If I could only be normal and eat 1 or 2 with my coffee I wouldnt need to be at SW in the bloody first place I'm sure! Its the same with crisps - 1 bag then I'm like "diet wrecked for today so I' may aswell have 3 more bags"!!
That's me to a tee, lol!!. I just think that I might as well enjoy the rest of the night and shove as much into my piehole as I can possible manage so that my stomach is really distended and I want to be sick. However, I never get sick!!. I have to suffer with a huge belly!!. I always say that I will start afresh tomorrow. usually I do but two or three days later, im on the rampage again!!!

Wow this sounds so like me, thanks for sharing your experience. Was the hypnotherapy purely for the bingeing or related to overall approach to weight management? I'm currently using a weight loss hypnotherapy cd, which is great for keeping me focused, but still hasn't addressed the bingeing tendencies, and therefore I fall into this trap at least once a month (mindless eating to the point of feeling sick, often following an emotional trigger of some sort). It's frustrating being aware of it but still feeling quite powerless to stop it x

The hypnotherapy kind of covered the core issues as to why I binged. At the heart of it was comfort and my brain trying, in a misguided way to offer me protection from the outside world. It sounds weird but it's like your brain has, over time rewired to see food as extreme comfort and the hypnotherapy helped me recognise (and even thank - literally) that part of me but to introduce it to my rational side and to allow that side to take over.

I had three sessions and it wasn't cheap. I'm not entirely sure I'm totally done either but it's the best investment I ever made. It won't work for everyone and you have to be willing and able to accept the potential but my god my mind is totally revamped. This isn't simple will power. It's literally a new me. I sound a bit evangelical about it but I have been dieting since I was about 15 and binging for easily the last 8 years of my life. I consider myself in remission :)

Michele- I do the same thing! I will be really good for days and then out of nowhere I binge (mainly on chocolate) I hate it! It all started for me when I got pregnant with my son when I had alot of bad things happen and this has been going on for 7 years now :( but I'm not as bad as I used to be. I agree with everyone draw a line under it and get straight back on plan as soon as you can. Good luck x

This thread has really got me thinking. Iv been binge eating since being 13 years old and at 27 I'm still there, unable to get out of this mindset. I spoke to my gp who just gave me anti depressants which have not helped at all. I wondered if there were any groups that deal with this without costing a fortune! It's definitely peace of mind that I'm not the only one struggling with this!! :)

Back