Extra Easy OH telling me I eat too much :-(

Charlie Woo Woo

Silver Member
Hi ladies and gents
when you started SW and anyone in your house didnt start with you did they tell you they thought you were eating too much? My OH has tol me my portions are too big and I should just do what he does and follow a calorie controlled, small portion diet. Its getting me down and making me question if I should do this. I am loosing 1/2 atleast a week, apart from 1 non 100% weeks when i gained 1/2 and he looses more so tells me his way of loosing weight is basically more effective.
We have a holiday coming up and, admittedly I hoped Id loose more than I have and want another stone off by the 24th Sept. He tells me I should eat less to do this.
Frustrating me :-(

Hi hunni, personally I wouldn't take any notice. I was very sceptical of SW at first, my mum joined before me and I watched her eat meals like steak, chips and peppercorn sauce, spaghetti bolognese and big roast dinners... I was always saying "how can you loose weight with all that on your plate" ...yet the pounds were flying off! You have nothing to worry about, just remember to fill up on your speed/freefoods and make sure your drinking lot's of fluids. :) xxx

Also I just wanted to add, SW isn't a diet, it's a healthy eating plan, a new healthier lifestyle and your more likely to achieve and maintain your weight loss with SW, than a small portion/calorie controlled diet, so your OH may be loosing more in the short term, but just remember your going to keep it off for the long term;). Good luck with your SW journey! xxx

also factorin that men tend to lose eight faster, it's the way they are made.

Just trust in SW and as long as you are honestly being 100% your results will show.

WinkOfPink_ said:
Also I just wanted to add, SW isn't a diet, it's a healthy eating plan, a new healthier lifestyle and your more likely to achieve and maintain your weight loss with SW, than a small portion/calorie controlled diet, so your OH may be loosing more in the short term, but just remember your going to keep it off for the long term;). Good luck with your SW journey! xxx

Thanks, this is what im trying to get across to him. Thursday night, my usually very healthy OH collapsed on the kitchen floor due to hitting the Gym at 6.30am and consuming about 800 calories that day!!! He has been doing this on a consistent basis whilst taking metabolism increasing supplements so I said to him id much prefer my way of doing this. He said his diet had nothing to do with it but he knows it does because he has upped his food intake and hasnt been to the gym once since thursday. I, however, have just done 2 hours at the Gym and had homemade chinese and now having chicken salad for tea and feel great!!!
Wish he could see my point of view

The major problem with following a vlcd like he is is that eventually your metabolisms adjusts to the low calorie intake, meaning weight loss slows and then you require less calorie input to put weight back on because your metabolism adjusts to accommodate its intake. Our bodies are clever- they are not just a mathematical equation :)
The beauty of SW is that while you are probably eating fewer calories than you usually would, it's not enough or on a regular enough basis to cause your metabolism to slow plus it is encouraging you to feed your body beautifully nutritious fuel - lots of lean meat, whole grains, fresh fruit and vegetables. It's wonderful and to be honest your OH had an awful lot to learn! I would respond to him saying if he wants to mess with his body, that's fine but you would rather lose weight in a healthy and sustainable fashion. Look after your body and it will look after you, abuse it and it will eventually let you down- as your OHs collapse has proven.
My brother is an MMA (mixe martial arts) trainer and a lot of the guys he trains follow an intermittent fasting plan. It jolts your metabolism, causes consistent and rapid weightloss and has wonderful health benefits to boot. There was a Horizon programme on it recently with Dr Michael Mosely (swoon <3 ) researching the benefits of it. If your OH will not do SW maybe point him in the direction of this method. It's much healthier than what he's doing at the moment but will get similar results. If he continues with what he's doing at the moment he will end up seriously ill :(

I totally feel your frustration my OH makes comments too about what i'm eating since doing SW - and i know he thinks i'm eating way too much ;o( but i'm not letting him put me off as its working and like you its quite slow but it is coming off and i'm not starving my self and making my self feel ill.

Keep at it x

Shut ears and ignore - the plan works - just show him the books and the science behind it, if it didnt work it wouldnt have lasted over 40 years.

Oh I have to have a rant here lol.

Unless you do SW most people dont really get what it's all about. Back in the old days, to lose weight you would cut out bread and potatoes etc so the fact you can eat both on SW is probably confusing to most. When I first started SW and used to have a lovely massive grill up for brekkie my hubby used to say ''there's no way you're gonna lose weight, dont go next week you're gonna be so embarrassed etc'' but he was proved wrong and luckily after years of training he now understands lol.

Just ignore and prove him wrong would be my advice. x

Same here with my OH he calorie counts and says HIS way is best ....
I personally think he is the reason I fall off the rails sometimes because of his negative thoughts ..
I am determined that this week I WILL stay on track

You are doing brilliantly jezzi999. Great to be able to see the difference in the same dress. You look fab :)

"you could very well be right"
"I am sure you know best, dear"
"there may be something in what you say"
"I understand what you are saying"

Choose one of the above, or one of your own, and keep saying it. Meanwhile, carry on doing exactly what you want to do.

"Other halves" don't have the right to tell us what to do. They think they do, but they don't!

WOW Jezzi that is brilliant :)
Im going to try to get as much off in 3 weeks as I have a holiday an gonna work my (slowly shrinking) arse of doing it and when I come back im going to prove a point!!! If I loose 1/2 lb a week I will be atleast another half stone lighter at xmas. Thanks for the replys everyone, i feel encouraged again. I think im gonna keep schtum and play the long game. Size 12 at xmas sounds good :)

Well he may think he knows best, and maybe what he says is what works for him, but you stick to your guns! Tell him to do it his way, meanwhile you will do it yours and if in a months time you have lost no weight he will be right and can gloat forever.
We however know that won't happen so as above, smile sweetly and say "yes you might be right but first I'm going to try it this way" and watch him eat his words. And I hope they leave him feeling hungry! :)

I think your right - keep schtum and just show him by sticking to plan and having great losses. OK they may not be as big as his but you're not collapsing all over the place are you. You'll shift loads by Christmas and then he'll have to eat his words lol!

You may be eating "loads" now but if you're anything like me you will naturally feel fuller for longer after a while on the plan, and smaller portions and even leaving food on the plate!! *gasp* lol
When i started the plan in January i could eat for england! I used to fill my plate and eat it all, even if it made me feel sick and bloated! At the start of my slimming world journey i ate the same quantity of food, but much much healthier food, and my weight losses showed immediately, i have gradually cut down what i eat without even thinking about it really, i could eat 4-5 sausages in a meal, now i have 2, i used to have a whole can of beans on my jacket, now i have half, little things like that i have done without being made to, and without feeling deprived, seems like i am listening to my body more now, i am more in tune with it, i listen to my body when eating and as soon as i feel comfortable i stop eating!
I recommend a book by Paul McKenna - i can make you thin, It is nothing about WHAT you eat, its about how you eat, and it really makes you think!
With the help of slimming world and Paul McKenna i have lost 3st 4.5lbs and i feel better about my body than i have done for a decade or more...so yes eat as much as you like now, of the good things, and see how it goes! Sorry for the waffle lol xxx

I definately eat less then before because of the free foods im consuming. He see's a big bowl of prawns, noodles and stir fry veg and tells me its a big bowl and he's not actually seeing and remembering that its cooked in frylight, with soy sauce and its mostly veg in consuming.
He's off work today because he's still poorly. He doesnt listen to me when i tell him to eat more to balance with all the exercise he's doing and he's worrying me. Ive told him to see his dr for blood tests as he's probably aneamic or something!!

Why do men think that starving themselves along with mad gym sessions are the answer! You wouldn't try and drive your car with no petrol in and that effectively what he's doing! Maybe you just need to be really blunt with him and tell him your weight loss maybe slow but it's sustainable. He can't starve himself forever and when he eventually eats normally again he'll end up putting it all if not more back on. Why don't you give him a challenge to try SW for a month and if he feels worse than he does now and doesn't loose any weight he can go back to starving himself. He'll probably want to prove you wrong but by end of month I defy him not to be converted!!

Back