Ok Gotta Ask??

Determined Bunny

A Very Determined Bunny!!
Just about to begin this diet (i think) i have seen info about the syns and had info from other areas. Please be honest but is this diet all about the calorie intake or is there another science behind it??? (sorry but just really had to ask!! :D

At the end of the day all diets are based on calories in versus calories out. To lose weight you have to expend more calories than you consume.

There are different ways of doing that. You can calorie count everything you put in your mouth or you can join a slimming club where they've already done the hard work for you. Both SW and WW have set up their eating plans so that you limit your calorie intake without having to count them. WW work on points and SW works on free foods that have a higher satiety relative to their calorie content. In laymans terms you get more bang for your buck because free foods fill you up for longer meaning you don't eat so much and your calorie intake is lowered.

In SW not all calories are the same. You could eat 300 calories of chocolate (not difficult as we all know) but it would be a snack and half an hour later you could be looking for something else to eat because it doesn't fill you up. Or you could have 300 calories wholewheat pasta and veg but it would be a meal and would fill you up for a good while.

Hope that helps!

It is, essentially, a low fat diet.

Ultimately, while you can pile your plate with salmon or spuds, who really wants to? Now if it was pizza .....

I agree with others, it's not a diet, it's a way of educating yourself what to eat to look after yourself - the weight loss should follow naturally.

I love it!

I've realised that one of the reasons that I put on so much weight was that I ate everything I wanted (rather than what I needed) because I am basically rubbish at making choices.

SW works for me because it gives me a framework to work in. If I want to eat something that's not free then I have to syn it - and SW gives me a method to give everything a value so I can make a choice about what I put in my mouth. If I want to eat chocolate, I can. I just have to think about it first - and decide if I want it badly enough to use my syns. Now I find myself thinking I can have this or that - before I would have this and that.

I don't think there is anything new, scientifically, about SW but it works with both my lifestyle and the way my brain works - which means I don't feel like I am dieting but am learning a new approach to food that will be with me for the rest of my life.

If you follow the plan sensibly and try as much as possible to cook proper meals from staple ingredients, rather than relying on processed foods too much, you'll automatically be reducing your fat and sugar intake dramatically. This cuts out a lot of unnecessary calories.

The other aspect is that what you DO eat will be filling you up more, so you won't want to be eating every five minutes.

Overall you'll be reducing your calorie intake just as you need to do to lose weight, but it won't feel like it because you're not actually 'counting' the majority of your food.

I hate the word diet... When my friends ask me how the diet is going, it drives me mad, and I correct them with the fact that I am eating healthily, not dieting. The best thing about SW is that you're not changing WHAT you eat, but HOW you eat.

I've followed so many different 'diet' plans through my life and I'm still here, bigger than ever and still battling. What is different with me this time is that I've got my head around the fact that Slimming World is NOT a diet - its a life style and to be successful and achieve the targets I want to achieve I have to treat it as so. The slimming world ideology is the same ideology that I am going to follow for the rest of my life. With it I can eat sensibly, still enjoy the things I love but be in control of them and not them in control of me. I dont have to go through the hassle of counting calories, all the hard work has been done for me and I will always have the support that I need should I need it. It takes a while to get your head around how slimming world works but once you are there its so so easy to put into practise and with a few changes you can use the slimming world plan in every life situation. I now no longer think in 'calories' or 'fat' content I think in 'healthy extras' and 'syns' and can easily adapt family meals so I can eat the same thing as them and it means that they are eating healthier too xxx

Back