• Upgrades have been completed! Including conversations, 😁😎🏀⚾⚽ Emojis and more.. Read more

OMG!!! SW Piccalilli!!!

This is diviiiine! Already! :eek:

Soon as I put it on the smell was just LUSH, got it all jarred up and sploshed a few bits trying to get it in the jars so I hoovered them up, it's DIVINE already, Wow it will be *amazing* in 3 months once the spices have dispersed and softened up!

This picture really does not do it justice *drool*

Unfortunately I cracked my first jar, must've still been too hot as I cracked my second "first" jar too... :confused: Not done this before, I know you're supposed to put hot food in hot jars and cold food in cold jars to stop the tension but even on 110C I had to leave the jar to cool for 3 or 4 min after taking it out of the oven before putting anything in it.

Get Rid of this ad and join in on the conversation for free today! Tap here!
Hi there

Im soooooooooo glad someone has tried it :D -I love tickabilly -but only home made (my mum makes the best ever ;)) -I saw this recipe in the mag when I got it yesterday and got all excited...
I will give it a try -but not until I move home... can't have anymore stuff to pack ;)

I've always liked piccalilli but never made it myself - this is WAY WAY WAY better than the shop stuff! :) And it's all FREEEEEEE!!!!! :D

i havent tried this one but i have tried others i have made syn free in the past and also i have tried pickled veg - very nice some recipes you only have to leave to pickle for 24 hours - i just googled recipes and made a few ammendments (eg left the oil out) the result is very nice i love vinegar :) xx

on a nother note i made gooseberry curd for my partner (so jealous!) i am not even going to try working out the syns with all that butter and sugar and cooked fruit but i have got a syn free lemon curd to try out so i will let u know my verdict x

Mrscush

Woman on a mission!
Im really keen to try this... but bizarrely I dont know if i will like picalilly as I havent ever tried it!!! What does it laste of?!
The ideal of mustard being in (blurgh!) puts me off!! :)

nannis

Silver Member
Sounds yummy!!! Ive been making the onion chutney and so far a jar is only lastig a week in the fridge before hubby has finished it lol

I always put tap hot water in the jar first let it warm up then put some recently boiled water in to get it hotter and sterilise :) but I also let my chutney cool for a while before putting it in :) so it goes in warm

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

how many jars do you need please
Im not really sure as I didn't follow the recipe quantities to the letter, I roughly doubled it (but only *very* roughly, I didnt really weight it much) and didn't put any courgette in as I dont like it. It filled 3 jars which held about 900g with a wee bit left over. I just put five jars in the oven to sterilise to be sure I had plenty ready to use when it was done. Just be prepared, better have too many than not enough, plus if you crack any you've got spares.

Sounds yummy!!! Ive been making the onion chutney and so far a jar is only lastig a week in the fridge before hubby has finished it lol

I always put tap hot water in the jar first let it warm up then put some recently boiled water in to get it hotter and sterilise :) but I also let my chutney cool for a while before putting it in :) so it goes in warm

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins
Yeah, Ive not done it before so researched it a bit on thenintermnet and they all said to put it in the oven at 110 for 10-15 min and then put hot food immediately in hot jar. But I dont really see why, its been sterilised so as long as you dont touch the food or the jar with anything non-sterile it cant be that bad to wait for both of them to cool down a bit :confused: It *is* pickle after all, not all that friendly to bacteria... :confused: :D

I joined SW in August and missed piccalilli recipe in the earlier mag.
Can someone post it here please?
I looked in the website and couldn't find it. Is this usual?