• Upgrades have been completed! Including conversations, 😁😎🏀⚾⚽ Emojis and more.. Read more

On a mission to lose 6 stone in a year

Miss Scarlett Blue

S: 21st11lb C: 19st11lb G: 11st10lb BMI: 44.7 Loss: 2st0lb(9.18%)
Hello all. I’m new to the site, having started my weight loss journey at the beginning of January. I have a lot of weight to lose. I would like to try and lose 6 stone by next Christmas and then continue until I reach my final goal. I think at half a stone a month on average this should be doable and allow a little leeway for special occasions etc.
My weight started creeping up when I hit puberty. At the age of 29 I was eventually diagnosed with PCOS. I’ve managed to lose the odd stone on occasions, but always put it back. I was in an unhappy and unhealthy marriage for too many years. Food became a bit of a comfort and my ex was never supportive to any of my attempts to lose weight.

I am now divorced and have a new very supportive partner. Unfortunately I had a serious car accident around 3 years ago. I was in a wheelchair for almost 6 months and I am now left with some permanent mobility issues due to serious injury to one leg/foot. I’m never going to run a marathon - but then I never was. I am incredibly lucky to be alive and I want to make the most of life. My weight crept up after my accident. I could feel it myself but hadn’t been weighed since before my accident. I was mortified when I did get weighed and resolved to do something about it. As well as beneficial to my general health the more weight I lose the better for my foot which has been reconstructed with quite a lot of metal.

I am trying Slimming World, but I’m going alone on this as I’m not working at the moment and really can’t afford it.
I am weighing myself on a Monday late afternoon. In my first week I lost 4 pounds, my second week just 1/2 pound (my time of the month was due so may have been a factor) last week I lost 2 pounds and I’m hoping for a similar loss on Monday.
I am writing everything I eat and drink in a book and planning menus in advance. I’ll try and update on here each day too, so I’ll pop back on this evening and update.
Thanks for reading.

Get Rid of this ad and join in on the conversation for free today! Tap here!
Last edited:

Miss Scarlett Blue

My food diary for today

B - porridge. I use Quaker big bowl original (my HEXB) and 250ml semi-skimmed milk (HEXA). At the minute I am adding some golden syrup for 2 syns. I ordered some of the skinny syrups a couple of weeks ago but they have taken ages to arrive. They have arrived today but long after I’d had breakfast. This is my go to breakfast as I love porridge and I’m trying to reduce my cholesterol which is marginally above normal.

L (or dinner to me as I’m a true northerner) - cottage cheese and a large salad with a little lighter than light mayo (1/2 syn); activia fat free cherry yogurt (1/2 syn) and melon

afternoon snack - banana

D (or tea to me) - grilled gammon steak, fat removed, 100g oven chips (as I don’t have the SW app I’m not totally sure of the syns and can’t find them on google so I’ve counted them as 8 which I hope is enough) peas and mushrooms; fruit bowl - I throw in chopped melon, blueberries, pineapple, raspberries and kiwi. My wonderful partner cooked. The oven chips make it an easy meal for him. I am seriously considering getting an actifry though.

snacks - this evening I will have a fibre one popcorn bar for 3 1/2 syns

drinks - 4 cups of coffee with a little milk (my other HEA, although I only end up using a small fraction of it) I then have a water bottle which holds 0.6 litres and drink at least 2 a day, most days 3. I either fill this with water or weakly diluted Vimto (the no sugar added one)

Total syns for the day - 14 1/2 (if the syns are right for the oven chips) That’s quite a lot for me. Most days I am between 5 and 10

Miss Scarlett Blue

Today has been a good food day. I feel like I have eaten very well and thoroughly enjoyed everything. Hasn’t felt like a diet or that I’m depriving myself. I weigh myself on a Monday afternoon so hope I’m feeling just as good then!!
Brunch - bacon medallions, scrambled egg, baked beans, lots of mushrooms and a wholemeal roll (HEXB). This has become my Sunday treat. Have it at around 10am and keeps me going all day
Afternoon snack - banana
Dinner - pot roast beef (my recipe is at the bottom) potatoes sprayed with fry light and roasted in a very hot oven, lots of vegetables; melon medley for dessert (honeydew, tiger and water melon)
Evening - no syns during the day so my evening treat will be a G&T (4 syns) a pack of quavers (4 1/2 syns) and a fibre one popcorn bar (3 1/2 syns)
I made a lattè this afternoon (using HEXA), three cups of coffee this morning and my water bottle filled twice
Total syns today - 12

Pot Roast Beef:
So for the pot roast I get a nice lean piece of beef and remove any visible fat. I quickly seal it all round in a very hot non-stick frying pan (no oil needed) I then season it and sprinkle a little mustard powder on top. I put it into my slow cooker with some onions, mushrooms, a red wine stock pot and about 200ml water and cook on low for at least 6 hours but I usually go for 8 hours. About half way through turn the beef over. Take the beef out to rest for around 15 minutes. You can then blend the liquid with the onions and mushrooms to make a gravy, pour into a pan and heat to reduce, adding a little tomato purée to thicken if needed - this is how I did it today, or leave the onions and mushrooms whole and thicken with a little cornflour (syn as appropriate). I get a larger piece of beef than needed as it cooks better. Leftovers can be served the day after or frozen.

Attachments

Last edited:

Miss Scarlett Blue

Good morning & welcome to a new week. Monday is also when I weigh myself. I’m feeling positive as I feel like I had a good week last week. I stuck to plan and really enjoyed my food. I managed some exercise every day too. I’m hoping it shows on the scales!

I’ve planned food for the week. My main goal this week is to continue build up with exercise. Since my car accident I have found this hard. My right foot had to be reconstructed and I have restricted movement in my ankle. I am still trying to build strength back up. Almost three years on and I use a walking stick, although round the house I can now manage without. Walking is the best thing for me but the weather has been terrible. Rain doesn’t necessarily bother me but I am terrified of slipping if it’s wet. So I’ve got a second-hand wii and I’m trying to use that every day. Some of the balance exercises, which most able bodied people wouldn’t give a second thought to are really hard, but good for my ankle, so I keep trying those to try and increase the amount of movement I have. I’m also doing some of the cardio bits on wii fit. I’ve been doing step which is also hard for but I’m trying to build up gradually. Have been on it every day for almost 4 weeks. Last week I bought some hand weights, so starting to incorporate those too. This week I want to do 30minutes a day. I’m also hoping for some dry weather so I can get out for a decent walk.

Anyway I’ll be back later with my weigh in and food for today. Have a great day.

Miss Scarlett Blue

I am over the moon right now. Weigh in the this afternoon and 4 1/2 pounds off, which means I’ve lost 11 pounds in 4 weeks. I know I won’t keep losing at that pace, but I feel I’ve made a good start to losing 6 stone by Christmas. I would like to lose 7lb in the next 4 weeks, so that’s my next mini target.
Spent 30 minutes doing step on the wii and used my hand weights a little too.

Food today as follows:
B - porridge with skinny syrup. First time using this. It’s runnier than my normal syrup but tasted fine mixed into the porridge.

L - yogurt, banana - was a bit late with breakfast and wasn’t very hungry.

Mid afternoon - melon, cherries and pineapple in a bowl.

D - lambs liver casserole with jacket potato. Carrots, mushrooms & onions in the casserole, cabbage and mange tout cooked separately. 1 syn for a little cornflour to thicken the gravy. I know liver is not to everyone’s taste, but I grew up having it pretty much weekly and I loved it. Didn’t eat it for years as my ex hated liver, my new partner also likes it especially in a casserole & it’s very easy to adapt to a SW friendly recipe. My iron levels are often low and I find it helps with that too.

Coffee and Vimto to drink. On track for over 2 litres today.

I’ll have 2 caramel snack a jacks as a treat this evening (2 1/2syns each)

Total syns for today - 6

Last edited:

Miss Scarlett Blue

Went out for the day with my wonderful partner. He’s had pneumonia and whilst he’s over the worst he’s still not right, so he hasn’t left the house much since Christmas. Drove to Formby so we could walk round the red squirrel trail - beautiful but no red squirrels today. Started to wander down to the beach - almost made it but the wind was horrendous and it made walking up the sand dunes very hard, especially with a walking stick! We got close enough to see the sea and then turned back. Took a packed lunch so stayed on plan and we just stopped for a coffee on the way home. It was really good to get out for some fresh air.

food today
B - porridge and skinny syrup
L - couscous with sweetcorn, peppers, cucumber, peas, prawns and a little smoked salmon
Mid afternoon - a couple of satsumas
D - beef from Sunday, sliced into a dish with the left over gravy and heated in the oven for 30 minutes. Laziness led to some oven chips. Still not totally clear on the syns for these, so will count as 8 again (found a google post suggesting it might be 2 syns but I don’t know if this is accurate so I’d rather estimate higher) Also had peas, sweetcorn and mange tout
Evening snack - 2 snackajacks (2 1/2 syns each)
Total syns for today- 13

Bert

S: 27st1lb C: 13st13lb G: 14st0lb BMI: 26.1 Loss: 13st2lb(48.55%)
Good luck with your journey!

Have you got the Slimming World documents despite not joining?

On the exercise front, I wouldn't worry about it too much. Diet is the key to success and personally I think the biggest goal in your weight loss is to find foods which work for you. If you start disliking the food you're eating or forcing yourself to eat stuff because it's part of the plan you'll soon end up stopping.

In your last post you said laziness led to some oven chips. Microwaving or parboiling some potatoes for 5mins and then baking them for 30 mins sprayed in frylight with some pepper seasoning on top would see you having a syn free healthier option and taking pretty much the same time. You might even be able to parboil loads of potatoes cut into wedges in advance and freeze them in portions and cook them like they were oven chips? I've never looked into this as it's so easy to prepare on the day but to prevent it happening in the future it might be the way. As for syns, I think your 8 is closer to the mark, some low fat ones come in a lot less but there are only a few varieties that do this I think.

Keep up the good work though, 11lb in 4 weeks is a great start! The energy levels will boost quite quickly too.

Miss Scarlett Blue

Thanks. I have a book I bought from EBay which explains optimising and some syns. Relying on the internet other than that and it’s one reason I joined here.
My other half isn’t a big fan of the chips done on the oven and sprayed with fry light so Ive only done them once. Also trying to use up things in the freezer so I’ve got more space for recipes as most I’m cooking are for 4 portions so I can freeze half. They were McCain 5%fat - I’d seen a post suggesting 2syns for 100g but it didn’t seem enough. I’m seriously considering getting an actifry.

I am thoroughly enjoying my food at the moment. Putting a lot of time and thought into it so I get a lot of variety and so I don’t feel deprived at all. It’s certainly worked for me so far. I’m in this for the long haul so having food I look forward to is really important. Actually I think it’s got me out of a bit of a food rut I’d got into, just need to make sure I don’t end up back in that rut!

anyway, today’s food:

L - couscous (same as yesterday)
D - sausage casserole made with Aldi 3% fat sausages (1/2 syn each) with of onions, carrots, peppers and mushrooms, served with jacket potato and green beans. My other half cooked today (I need him to feel he’s not totally banished from the kitchen) and he used a casserole mix which works out at 2 syns per portion.
evening snack - melon

not much fruit today as I’ve pretty much run out and need to shop tomorrow
Total syns for today - 3 1/2

Bert

S: 27st1lb C: 13st13lb G: 14st0lb BMI: 26.1 Loss: 13st2lb(48.55%)
When I can send you a pm I'll ping you something! I think you may have to post 50 times or something for me to be able to do it...

What couscous do you have? I have couscous EVERY day for lunch. It used to be Ainsley Harriett spice sensation but I think that's been taken over by Twisted. Costco sell buckets of the stuff for £4 a go (same stuff is £7 or £8 on amazon). I have approx 15kg of it in my garage! I tend to add lazy chilli, peppers, onions and sweetcorn to it to add a bit of speed and filling. I've also recently found beetroot, something I've never eaten before. Tesco and sainsburys sell jars of shredded pickled beetroot for £1 which is free and speed which I now add to it.

My daily lunch:

1580982947171.png

On the fruit, have you tried the supermarket frozen stuff? I tend to put 1kg of the stuff in a couple of lunchboxes on my kitchen side, drain the juice after around 12 hours then top up bowls of cut up apples grapes or bananas with some of the frozen berries and some yoghurt. Works far cheaper than buying the fresh stuff for me.

janey23

It's Vegas baby!
S: 22st13lb C: 22st12lb G: 18st9lb BMI: 43.4 Loss: 0st1lb(0.31%)
Well done you on your loss.
I'm a similar weight with a similar amount to lose, but thinking about the total to lose just depresses me. So, I'm focusing on trying to get 60lb off in 30 weeks (this is when i go on my holiday)

I've lost 15lb in 4 weeks, but I'm really sticking to plan and writing everything down.
I've had three big planned social events in the past four weeks, so I made up my mind to save all my syns for them. Ive been full on No turkey with cakes, chocolate and crisps (the holy trinity).

That obviously worked for me, but now I don't need to save up my syns I'm in a tricky decision. Do i add in some syns or not?

Anyway, good luck and @Bert, thanks for your posts, I'm of to research your journey to that fabulous loss

Miss Scarlett Blue

When I can send you a pm I'll ping you something! I think you may have to post 50 times or something for me to be able to do it...

What couscous do you have? I have couscous EVERY day for lunch. It used to be Ainsley Harriett spice sensation but I think that's been taken over by Twisted. Costco sell buckets of the stuff for £4 a go (same stuff is £7 or £8 on amazon). I have approx 15kg of it in my garage! I tend to add lazy chilli, peppers, onions and sweetcorn to it to add a bit of speed and filling. I've also recently found beetroot, something I've never eaten before. Tesco and sainsburys sell jars of shredded pickled beetroot for £1 which is free and speed which I now add to it.

My daily lunch:

View attachment 194761

On the fruit, have you tried the supermarket frozen stuff? I tend to put 1kg of the stuff in a couple of lunchboxes on my kitchen side, drain the juice after around 12 hours then top up bowls of cut up apples grapes or bananas with some of the frozen berries and some yoghurt. Works far cheaper than buying the fresh stuff for me.
Thanks for the support
My couscous is just plain couscous and I added peas, sweetcorn, yellow and orange peppers, cucumber and some chopped prawns. Squeezed a little lemon juice on. It was very nice and I’m keen to try more/different.
It’s funny I can happily have exactly the same for breakfast every day and not get fed up of it, but I like a bit of variety with lunch which is why I’d tried the couscous. Had it again today - that finished off what I’d prepared on Tuesday.
thanks for the frozen fruit tip. I bought some today so I have no excuses now!

Miss Scarlett Blue

Well done you on your loss.
I'm a similar weight with a similar amount to lose, but thinking about the total to lose just depresses me. So, I'm focusing on trying to get 60lb off in 30 weeks (this is when i go on my holiday)

I've lost 15lb in 4 weeks, but I'm really sticking to plan and writing everything down.
I've had three big planned social events in the past four weeks, so I made up my mind to save all my syns for them. Ive been full on No turkey with cakes, chocolate and crisps (the holy trinity).

That obviously worked for me, but now I don't need to save up my syns I'm in a tricky decision. Do i add in some syns or not?

Anyway, good luck and @Bert, thanks for your posts, I'm of to research your journey to that fabulous loss
You’ve done brilliantly so far. It was my birthday the second week of doing this - whilst I didn’t totally stick to plan I do feel I made some wise choices and didn’t totally derail myself. It can be hard to think of how much I need to lose and how long it’s likely to take, but I definitely have the right mindset at the minute and the early losses are helping me keep focused. I have broken my goals down to losing 7lb a month in 12 months. That seems more achievable than 6 stone in a year or even worse wanting to lose 10 stone in total!!! I think small steps will help. I’m not going to beat myself up if a day goes off plan - on such a long journey that’s bound to happen, but If/when it does I’ll get straight back on. 7lb a month should be achievable even with the odd hiccup along the way.

As for the syns - I’m not sure what you should do. I know some people who have gone to SW swear that you have to use your syns or it doesn’t work. I think personally stuck with whatever you feel is working for you. Some days I use quite a few, other days hardly any or none at all. It’s too soon for me to know which works best for my body. My main thing is that I know this is a long journey so I want to enjoy my food and not feel deprived. I won’t have syns for the sake of it but if it enhances a meal or I just need a little snack which will help keep me on track I’ll have some.

Last edited:

Miss Scarlett Blue

I should also say my alcohol consumption has gone down considerably. It’s surprising when I think back just how many days I’d have a glass of wine or a G&T. I did have a glass of wine and a G&T on my birthday and I had a G&T on Sunday, but that’s all I’ve had. I’ve also measured my gin so I could syn it accurately rather than just pouring, as I would have done. I was shocked how little there was in the measure!
It’s definitely nice to have a glass every now & then but it definitely do me good to cut back for a while.

Miss Scarlett Blue

So today’s food

L - couscous with prawns, sweetcorn, peas, peppers and cucumber
D - hoisin chicken (2 1/2 syns) with stir fried vegetables and rice; fruit bowl - melon, watermelon, kiwi, blueberries, pineapple

total syns 2 1/2

Attachments

janey23

It's Vegas baby!
S: 22st13lb C: 22st12lb G: 18st9lb BMI: 43.4 Loss: 0st1lb(0.31%)
That evening meal looks so well balanced in terms of speed/free.
Well done.

craftermary

Gold Member
S: 11st2lb C: 9st2lb BMI: 22.7 Loss: 2st0lb(17.95%)
I should also say my alcohol consumption has gone down considerably. It’s surprising when I think back just how many days I’d have a glass of wine or a G&T. I did have a glass of wine and a G&T on my birthday and I had a G&T on Sunday, but that’s all I’ve had. I’ve also measured my gin so I could syn it accurately rather than just pouring, as I would have done. I was shocked how little there was in the measure!
It’s definitely nice to have a glass every now & then but it definitely do me good to cut back for a while.
I was like that with food. Use to just put spoonfuls on without weighing. Then when I started weighing thought that amount won't keep me alive.;)
You soon get used to the measurements.:)

Miss Scarlett Blue

I’m getting used to measuring and I’m also getting used to lots of washing up! Seems that I’ve chosen things this week which create quite a lot of washing up. Worth it though.

Today’s food:
L - activia yogurt (1/2 syn) banana, melon, kiwi and blueberries
D - keema pie. Adapted from a recipe I’d seen online. There’s onion, peppers, celery, carrots and peas in the keema. The topping is sweet potato and normal potato. Served with green beans and sweetcorn. It was a hit with the other half.

total syns for today 1/2

Attachments

Miss Scarlett Blue

Have spent time today organising and planning. Have properly typed up new recipes I’ve tried - something I’ve done for years when not on SW and I print them out to make my own recipe book as well as being able to access them digitally. It helps me remember what I’ve done, especially when I adapt recipes from ones I’ve seen online. I’ve also planned all my food for the next couple of weeks.

today’s food:
B - yogurt and fruit (1/2 syn)
L - bacon, scrambled eggs, baked beans, mushrooms, 1 slice whole meal toast
D - chicken, chorizo and prawn paella. I adapted this for a recipe online. Very nice, although a bit more like a risotto in texture. 3 syns for the chorizo. Then had melon, watermelon, kiwi and blueberries

total syns 3 1/2

Attachments

Miss Scarlett Blue

The storm has been terrible here so have stayed in and warm all day. Been a bit of a films curled up on the sofa day, but I have managed to avoid the temptation of digging out the Christmas chocolates!

Food today:
L - 1 slice wholemeal bread (4 syns) fat free cottage cheese, cucumber and peppers, activia fat free cherry yogurt (1/2 syn)
D - roast gammon, roast potatoes with frylight, carrots, cabbage; melon, blueberries and kiwi
Evening snack - a fibre one milk chocolate popcorn bar (3 1/2 syns)

total syns - 8

Weigh in tomorrow afternoon. Really hoping for another loss.