On Xen for a week and nothing :(

carys_karri

Hi all! So glad this forum is here!

Now then - I am well into the 300 lb range. weight is very hard to come off my body. GP has tried several things with me - incl metformin - - im vegetarian and have some fat in my diet - but not a ton.

however, GP suggested I go on orlistat.

Im finding that i just have gas - but nothing major.

I ate a donut - and took a double dose of the xenical - just gas !!!!!

Ummmm is it that this just might not be working? how long does it take to work? Any experiences shared are appreciated! :)

Could I just ask - why did you eat a doughnut if you're in the early stages of trying to lose weight?! The Orlistat will only help if you combine it with a low calorie diet, and you'll be able to tell it's working when you start losing weight - any gastric incidents are just a side effect, not evidence that it's working. If you eat properly, there'll be no physical sign that the Orlistat is having an effect. Good luck!

When I first started the tablets I had gas, constipation and bloating - I started taking aloe Vera juice to combat those effects and I found it worked well - Heath food shops stock it and I would buy the cranberry flavour - another remedy to try is lepicol which is a fibre supplement, which has been shown to help with weight loss on a cal controlled diet!

The rules of the tablets are;
5g of less of total fat per 100g
Max 15g fat over total meal
Max fat per day of 45g
Take tablets just before eating or within 1 hour of eating meal- to get the best effect from the tablets you need to take 3 a day.

Change your cooking methods - use a spray oil to cook with - or just don't use any oil/ butter at all.

Increase your water intake
Increase the green veggies you are eating so that your plate is 1/2 veggies, 1/4 carbs like rice/pasta/ potatoes/ peas/ carrots and a 1/4 of a protein - chickpeas/ tofu/ veg style meat replacement/ egg

A few people have realised how much bread they eat and have cut down on the bread and high sugar items - switching to fruit, and low fat/ wholemeal/ whole grain bread and crackers etc - by the food doctor

Loads of people are here to help you, support you on your journey - but all the effort must come from you!

A lot of us (me included) don't have tablets as they are out of stock, so you are lucky to have them. I am struggling with out them as they help me make better choices, and yes they do work but they are not a miraculous weight loss tool - they only "HELP" you on your life style changes - you are the one who has to make the hard changes!!

Most of us use myfitnesspal.com web or phone app to count cals to help us with our food choices- I'm sure you will be surprised by how much fat is in certain items and what your normal daily cal intake is. I def was :)

Good luck!

I've been on the 60mg orlistats for 4 weeks and have found that I have had no side effects BUT I haven't broken the rules.

I'm new to this but lots of the ladies are doing amazing so you should look at the advice.

I hope I'm ok saying this but orlistat is not magic and it's about changing eating habits and the psychological relationship we have with food.

Im still in the early weeks but so far with the support of everyone on here, And mfp, i feel like my eating is starting to get much better .... Not had butter,cheese,chocolate,crisps or cream for 4weeks now!

Good luck with your journey x

Hi, I agree with all the comments so far!

I have been on so many diets in the past you wouldn't believe it but... I started taking Xenical on 23rd Jan 2012 and four months on have lost half a pound off of 5 stone!! I can honestly say I believe the tablets are a psychological boost - I haven't had any side efects either but other than one meal have not eaten outside of the rules! (I have been lucky enough to get a prescription in the last couple of months) I

would never have believed in January that I would have come this far and my whole attitude towards food has changed - I don't feel the need to eat sugary things, the thought of a fry up makes me feel queezy and I really think I can keep this up in the long term!

This site is amazing and there is so much support - from people in the same position

Hope they work for you too!

Hmmmm said:
Hi, I agree with all the comments so far!

I have been on so many diets in the past you wouldn't believe it but... I started taking Xenical on 23rd Jan 2012 and four months on have lost half a pound off of 5 stone!! I can honestly say I believe the tablets are a psychological boost - I haven't had any side efects either but other than one meal have not eaten outside of the rules! (I have been lucky enough to get a prescription in the last couple of months) I

would never have believed in January that I would have come this far and my whole attitude towards food has changed - I don't feel the need to eat sugary things, the thought of a fry up makes me feel queezy and I really think I can keep this up in the long term!

This site is amazing and there is so much support - from people in the same position

Hope they work for you too!

Wow!!!! Well done you, I feel inspired now! :)

And so you should Hmmm is a major success, I've lost just under 5 stone since October but I don't take xen anymore, came off them in Feb but they got me started & where I needed my head to be. Good Luck with your journey x

Thanks for your comments! I am really pleased but still have a long way to go! I think I have lost it so quickly because I have got so much to loose - just looked at your stats Lexie and I am still heavier than your start weight! :sigh: You have done amazingly and I can't wait to be there too!

We will all get there in the end - just need some will-power and motivation!! xx

If I do half as well as you two I will be over the moon, you have done soooo well! x

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

I agree with everything that's already been said. When taking the Orlistat tablets and following the rules there'll be none of the unpleasant side effects but they really do work both in increasing the amount you lose and also in encouraging you to stick to the low fat rules so you don't suffer. I've been on the diet since February and lost just over 2 and a half stone. I have been 'naughty' on occasions unfortunately and initially I didn't have too many side effects but recently I did have some unpleasant side effects and this has been a lesson to me and I'm hoping I can have a better self restraint as I know I'd be loosing it quicker if I could be more consistent all the time.

Good luck with your diet, I really hope you succeed because there really is no feeling like it when you start dropping the dress sizes, it's such a confidence boost xx

Awwh thanks Alison, I am so determined now and in the right mindset for it and well done, sounds like its really working for you! :) xx

Well, I am on day one today and have had branflakes for breakfast, an apple, chicken salad and low fat yogurt for lunch plus some blueberries and have had stomach pain most if the afternoon, is this normal in the early days of taking xenical please? x

It's possible that you may need to go to the loo more often in the 1st few days as they tablets react to what's in your stomach - like what you have eaten in the last few days - I also found that I tended to go in the morning, afternoon, and late evening for a few days and then - I got blocked up after that and had trouble going - so started taking Aloe Vera (cranberry flavour) juice to help with keeping me regular.. Also you need to drink at least 2L water min a day.. To keep things going - when you add in exercise your metabolism gets quicker too

Back